XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Coolant leak along the exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 11:44 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Oh yes, there's about a dozen parts that need to be changed. Look on parts.com for your model to see the parts diagrams and order away!

I would also change the water pump and the coolant reservoir while you are at it.

And if you really want piece of mind, use the opportunity to switch over to Evans waterless coolant. Because it doesn't have water, it has a much higher boiling point and it doesn't build any pressure in the system. No pressure in the system means the plastic water pipes and the water pump last much longer and if they do fail, you are very unlikely to have a massive loss of coolant because there's no pressure to push it out, and therefore, you won't lose your engine.
I take it meets the requirements set for 3.0 S/C engine? I'll try to get some and ask the dealer to replace the OEM coolant with Evans.

Currently booked in for Friday (this week) and will be getting it towed to the dealership.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:08 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

HHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Oh yes, there's about a dozen parts that need to be changed. Look on parts.com for your model to see the parts diagrams and order away!

I would also change the water pump and the coolant reservoir while you are at it.

And if you really want piece of mind, use the opportunity to switch over to Evans waterless coolant. Because it doesn't have water, it has a much higher boiling point and it doesn't build any pressure in the system. No pressure in the system means the plastic water pipes and the water pump last much longer and if they do fail, you are very unlikely to have a massive loss of coolant because there's no pressure to push it out, and therefore, you won't lose your engine.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:37 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Hmm i have replaced that pipe in the past under cpo as well as the coolant reservoir which is all plastic so the plastic issue should not fly. But this is the us not canada. Maybe it is different. Plus cpo coverages are fluid and changing. And then there are times a email can be sent asking for clarifications on coverage and get approval. But customer pay always pay more than warranty and that pipe is one of the biggest ripoffs for tech times there is. Takes me double the time and i have done a lot.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:13 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
Hmm i have replaced that pipe in the past under cpo as well as the coolant reservoir which is all plastic so the plastic issue should not fly. But this is the us not canada. Maybe it is different. Plus cpo coverages are fluid and changing. And then there are times a email can be sent asking for clarifications on coverage and get approval. But customer pay always pay more than warranty and that pipe is one of the biggest ripoffs for tech times there is. Takes me double the time and i have done a lot.
Lack of consistency with what CPO covers and what it doesn't puts me off. The CPO warranty is the same in the US as it is in Canada, and I confirmed that as there were other issues with the car that Jaguar was not covering and I had show them proof if that very work being done for another customer in the states.

As far as heater hose is concerned, the manager called and informed me that according to his list of CPO coverage, it is not covered. JLR customer relations said anything coolant related except for the water pump is indeed not covered.

Perhaps a change in policy? When did you get yours replaced?

I currently have a bad supercharger that isn't covered because it's not triggering an engine light or any codes.

Last edited by Zereldo; 09-11-2019 at 05:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Brutal (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 355 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Zereldo
I take it meets the requirements set for 3.0 S/C engine? I'll try to get some and ask the dealer to replace the OEM coolant with Evans.

Currently booked in for Friday (this week) and will be getting it towed to the dealership.
I doubt Evans is approved by any manufacturer. But it's good enough for Leno!

In any case, you can buy Evans on Amazon, but it's a big process to get the water out of the system. I had to use 4 gallons of Evans Prep and 4 gallons of Evans Coolant to get down to the 3-5% of water on the Rover. The Rover was a 2 gallon system, so I basically filled and drained the system 4 times. It's much easier to get all the water out while the engine is apart, like you will have, so good idea to get that changeover done at the same time. Talk to your mechanic about it before you drop off the Evans.

Evans is not cheap, but a blown engine is crazy expensive.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Well that sucks. Must be a recent development. There are other parts sellers that have the parts diagrams on their site.

Originally Posted by Jssaab

HHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Old 09-11-2019, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,225 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Well that sucks. Must be a recent development. There are other parts sellers that have the parts diagrams on their site.
Yep, here's the parts site I use for searching: https://parts.jaguarreno.com/v-2015-...t--3-0l-v6-gas

Old 09-11-2019, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by zereldo
lack of consistency with what cpo covers and what it doesn't puts me off. The cpo warranty is the same in the us as it is in canada, and i confirmed that as there were other issues with the car that jaguar was not covering and i had show them proof if that very work being done for another customer in the states.

As far as heater hose is concerned, the manager called and informed me that according to his list of cpo coverage, it is not covered. Jlr customer relations said anything coolant related except for the water pump is indeed not covered.

Perhaps a change in policy? When did you get yours replaced?

I currently have a bad supercharger that isn't covered because it's not triggering an engine light or any codes.
why i said fluid and changing. I swear its like they picked many of the common issues and say nope, wear and tear or not covered. There are many other companies that will cover those repairs without issue. Cpo is very stringent on what cars they will allow to be covered and their conditions when sold and a much harsher, more inclusive inspection than any other ext warranty i have ever done inspections for. That doesn't always equate to better coverage though. Why i always say look at what is not covered not what is covered of ant warranty company youre looking into to. There are comapnies we wont even do work for if a customer has them without the customer paying and then they get reimbursed. Non payers

Old 09-11-2019, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

It's tough as a car buyer to decipher what exclusions in the warranty are going to bite you in the ***.

When buying a car that is new to them, most people aren't going to know about the plastic coolant pipes being used all over the cooling system that can fail and cause the engine to blow. So they won't know that an exclusion of plastic in the cooling system is a big deal.

The warranty companies have the upper hand because they see what is failing and then remove coverage of those items from their policy.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, here's the parts site I use for searching: https://parts.jaguarreno.com/v-2015-...t--3-0l-v6-gas
Thanks, it's hard to tell from that diagrams ( I use https://www.luxuryautopartshq.com/oem-parts/ jaguar) what the parts are and what the access is.

If I can get to it in the front when the car is back together I can do ti myself without borrowing a garage of a friends time/tools)

Old 09-12-2019, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

The parts diagrams on that Reno site are not as comprehensive as what was on Parts.com. I can't only see a few of the parts needed. There must be a better site that had all the diagrams like parts.com did.

You definitely don't want to have the car back together and then go back to change the rest of the parts. That would be double the work. Once you have everything apart to get to the back pipe, that's the perfect time to redo all the plastic.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:47 PM

it's tough as a car buyer to decipher what exclusions in the warranty are going to bite you in the ***.

When buying a car that is new to them, most people aren't going to know about the plastic coolant pipes being used all over the cooling system that can fail and cause the engine to blow. So they won't know that an exclusion of plastic in the cooling system is a big deal.

The warranty companies have the upper hand because they see what is failing and then remove coverage of those items from their policy.
the point is more that the whats included list is a bloated overgrown list of bits and pieces and parts that i have never seen fail in 21 years working on jaguars. While the average car buyer wont know about plastic piping etc. We here on the forum are not the avg. Car buyer. We seek better understand and knowledge. And to everyone here i repeat, the whats not covered is what to pay attention to. It is also a much smaller list. The other issue is this, when you buy a warranty that pays warranty prices and repair times like cpo, jag assurance, jag extra mile which is a continual short pay to the dealership and techs. How open do you think eyes are when a repair such as this one is noticed and not a customer concern?
Suspension pieces are the same. 1 control arm replacement may pay 2.0 hrs to replace and doing both sides might pay 2.5. So you want to pay me .5 more to do the same exact job on the other side???? Oh i see because theres over lapping time. Yep i have it on the rack and my tools out. But that doesnt take 1.50hrs to rack a car and get tools. You know i just try at times to share honestly some of the industry crap that goes on so that owners can have a little better understanding of reality. Personally i would not buy cpo, extra mile etc that pays like this because of these reasons. Cna, easy care and a few others are great ew companies to work with and guess what. They cover those plastic pipes, reservoir etc in the cooling systems. You also need and advisor that know what theyre doing with wording used. No ew company covers srs systems. So what if your cancellation module failed? Your horn quit working not your srs light is on. Want to know the best comapnies to buy contracts from? Go to the dealer and talk to the advisors because they deal with all these contract and companies daily. They know the ones that dont pay, dont cover a lot, only pay a certain labor rate leaving the customer to pay the difference, will not use oem parts but send aftermarket crap etc.....i would not own a luxury car without a e.w. And if i did i would be going to a dealer that the techs know the issues to look for. Most indie shops do not and even getting a oil change done somewhere else imo is foolish, its the best time for a experience person to see your car, not just some lube tech that could care less. I keep my eyes open to issues i know to look for hopefully long before a customer ever has to brong in as a complaint or failure. So for being so long winded but these issues get under my skin and lunch is over. Time to go make some $$$$$$$$

Last edited by Brutal; 09-12-2019 at 12:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
F1Virginia (07-04-2020)
Old 09-12-2019, 03:44 PM

The parts diagrams on that Reno site are not as comprehensive as what was on Parts.com. I can't only see a few of the parts needed. There must be a better site that had all the diagrams like parts.com did.

You definitely don't want to have the car back together and then go back to change the rest of the parts. That would be double the work. Once you have everything apart to get to the back pipe, that's the perfect time to redo all the plastic.
yeah, I'd like to find a site like that now. I had used Parts.com I wonder what happened...

Old 09-12-2019, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

https://partsfan.com/jaguar/

Full copy of the EPC plus diagrams if you create an account here. I trust it over most of the other parts sites as it's a lot more comprehensive.

The following 2 users liked this post by davetibbs:
Jssaab (09-13-2019), OzXFR (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by davetibbs

Full copy of the EPC plus diagrams if you create an account here. I trust it over most of the other parts sites as it's a lot more comprehensive.
Thanks Tibbsy, just signed up and it works a treat!

Old 09-13-2019, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Tibbsy, just signed up and it works a treat!
I still don't see everything that was in parts.com, even after signing up, such as the y-pipe that goes in the front of the engine, under the manifold.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member

I still don't see everything that was in parts.com, even after signing up, such as the y-pipe that goes in the front of the engine, under the manifold.
Are you talking about one of the pipes on this page?: https://partsfan.com/jaguar/ww/1689/...32/1733/12753/

Old 09-13-2019, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Are you talking about one of the pipes on this page?: https://partsfan.com/jaguar/ww/1689/...32/1733/12753/
Nope

Old 09-13-2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by davetibbs

Very helpful thanks a ton!!

Nope
If anyone figures it out that would be much appreciated.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:18 PM

I just checked, that heater pipe is covered under cpo here, even with land rovers. Your dealer is smoking something. Maybe a canada thing eh

Quick Reply: Coolant leak along the exhaust