XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Coolant leak along the exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 02:11 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
I just checked, that heater pipe is covered under cpo here, even with land rovers. Your dealer is smoking something. Maybe a canada thing eh
Lol. I spoke to multiple Jaguar customer relation representatives, they're all situated in the US and they confirmed saying "Jaguar factory warranty and CPO are no the same, and only a few select parts are covered. Heater hose pipe is NOT covered, and that applies to majority of the coolant related parts"

I just paid the dealership for their service, it would be nice if they took care of the supercharger, but they wont, neither will Jaguar.

If CPO warranty is different in Canada than it is in the US, then that is just lame. I doubt more established brands like VW Audi, BMW or Daimler would set different guidelines for CPO coverage - especially b/w US and Canada.

Do you have some sort of documented proof or even a document that states that the part is covered? If so let me know.

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2019, 09:42 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Old 09-19-2019, 09:58 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

for the above that I had to take pics of with my phone to upload then no text.
1st pic is the water pipe. NO RUBBER HOSES. This is a V6, V8 similar just shorter
2nd pic coolant reservoir, plastic not rubber and covered
3rd pic not covered is the heater pipe that connects to the water pipe but IS NOT part of it. It is a metal pipe and hoses on each end with connectors
4th pic pipe, water covered
I know the difference between CPO and Factory you have to watch your wording. We have never had these kicked back. And as much as I would like to charge customer pay times, it is a CPO covered part that only pays factory warranty times which hurts the dealer and tech for money and hourly pay. MAYBE that's the reason YOUR dealer chooses their definitions differently. Until Jaguar LR comes out as says THIS part # is NOT covered it is open to different interpretations. Jag and Land Rover cannot even call a part the same name in the workshop manual, warranty admin, and parts which leads to ALOT of wasted time and wrong parts ordered etc.
This is the last IM gonna say about this. I try to help here and will call out times when I see misinformation when I see it. Be it owner, myself, dealer or indie. I have worked at the dealer for 21 years and I have work to do not spend my time and money to corroborate my opinions or information.. so back to work

The following users liked this post:
Paul Fisher (09-20-2019)
Old 01-30-2020, 08:38 AM

After the first hose was changed, the car ran well. I recently had the entire supercharger unit changed via the same dealership, brought the car home (Jan 25th, Evening) could smell something burning, but since I was driving on the highway behind a semi truck, I assumed it was the exhaust fumes coming through the AC vents. Car has been parked for 4 days, today (January 30th) I drove the car to school, but on the way I could see steam coming out of the bonnet, I pulled over immediately and saw the coolant had completely disappeared from the reservoir. I was about 4-5 KM from home, so I kept filling the reservoir with bottled water to get the vehicle home, making incremental stops to check and top up the reservoir.

As it stands, the car is at my parents house, with no coolant (Just bottled water). The car is out of warranty now, it's been a month (Expired in Decemeber). The first coolant leak was taken care off by the dealership under warranty, this was about a year ago. The second most recent one that I started this thread for was completely paid for by me, it was roughly $1800 CAD. The supercharger is something I also paid for (40%= $3,100), and now this. I doublt the dealership will pay for it, but instead of going to indenependant shop (a good one will charge about the same), I'm getting the car towed to the dealership (my 13th visit since start of 2018).

At this point I want to know where I stand in term of getting the dealership or Jaguar to cover the cost for a reoccuring issue, I'm hoping its the same old heater pipe that was replaced a few months ago, or something that was caused due to supercharger unit replacement. The car just isn't worth pouring money into and it seems like the path I'm heading into. I know someone mentioned here that once one of the hose fails (breaks), the rest follow shortly. I kept that in mind and inquired about getting all the major hard to reach hoses replaced while the heater hose was being replaced, but the cost added on twice over for each hose (not sure why, since the labour involved for initial disassebly shouldnt multiple for each pipe).

As for the location of the leak, I took the engine cover off, cant see any coolant residue, but I see it dripping down from the engine bay onto the underbody shield and on to the floor. Really busy with school so don't have the time to take everything apart and have to rely on a tech to see what exactly failed.

As per my understanding, majority of the coolant pipes are located under the supercharger or in hard to reach places. Correct me if I'm wrong, I would like to deal with this myself instead of shelling out another $1800 or more.

points of concern:

1) there is only bottled water in the cooling system which is slowly draining. Should I leave that be (and not drive the car), are there any adverse effects of an empty coolant system if the car isnt being driven?
2) The fact that steam came out from under the hood, have I already (potentially) damaged the vehicle? At no point did the vehicle show any warning, dash lights or engine cut off. Once I opened the hood, saw the coolant was gone, the dash light came on after I filled reservoir with water.

Last edited by Zereldo; 01-30-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:07 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Zereldo
After the first hose was change, car ran well. I recently have the entire supercharger unit changed via the same dealership, brought the car home (Jan 25th, Evening) could smell something burning, but since I was driving on the highway behind a semi truck, I assumed it was the exhaust fumes coming through the AC vents. Car has been parked for 4 days, today (January 30th) I drove the car to school, but ont he way I could see steam coming out of the bonnet, I pulled over immediately and saw the coolant had completely disappeared. I was about 4-5 KM from home, so I kept filling the reservoir with bottled water to get the vehicle home.

As it stands, the car is at my parents house, with no coolant (Just bottled water). The car is out of warranty now, it's been a month (Expired in Decemeber). The first coolant leak was taken care off by the dealership under warranty, this was about a year ago. The seconde most recent one that I started this thread for was paid for by me completely, it was roughly $1800 CAD. The supercharger is something I also paid for (40%), and now this. I doublt the dealership will pay for it, but instead of going to indenependant shop (a good one will charge about the same), I'm getting the car towed to the dealership (my 13th visit since start of 2018).d.
OPuch..

I ahd a smiliar leak and smell back there but was pulling the Supercharger to do the coupler so I replaced the pipe in the back, it was fine.

What I found was the water pump was leaking and the fluid flowed along the top of the motor back there and leaked down on to the exhaust pipe.

I could see the trial of dried coolant trail all the way back.

I also replaced all the other plastic coolant pipes, You can see the new ones no longer have the seam that causes issues *( although the pipe in the back still does, don;t know why they would not redesign that one.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:31 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Currently replacing the SC coupler on my 2014 XF and whilst off, am also replacing main cooling pipes & the rear heater pipe whilst the SC is off. Have supplied also the thermostat & water pump to be changed. Belts, Idlers & Tensioner's also to be done. Is Intake valve cleaning worth doing? I was quoted A$300/US$200 to do?

Old 02-16-2020, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nansan21
Currently replacing the SC coupler on my 2014 XF and whilst off, am also replacing main cooling pipes & the rear heater pipe whilst the SC is off. Have supplied also the thermostat & water pump to be changed. Belts, Idlers & Tensioner's also to be done. Is Intake valve cleaning worth doing? I was quoted A$300/US$200 to do?
Sounds like a great plan. I should've done the same, but the cost was adding up, and I couldn't justifying paying 9 to 10k whilst the supercharger was being replaced aswell. The coolant leak turned out to be a plastic bleeder screw that sheared off. I made a separate post about it and it has since been replaced. Jaguar doesnt sell the bleeder screw separately, it's part of a heater hose pipe that was about $280 at the dealer. A forum member recommended an after market bleeder screw that BMW uses and is about $4 on amazon, I paid $20 for a brass one. The car is running well now...knock on wood.

Old 02-16-2020, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nansan21
as for the carbon cleaning, that's is around what I paid at my mechanic. They inject a chemical cleaner (fume form) while the engine is running, and all the carbon deposits flush out from the exhaust.

Many people believe that carbon cleaning is like "snake oil", it does absolutely nothing. The proper way is to walnut blast the intake to really clean things up. And I agree to a certain extent, but I reckon carbon cleaning is a preventative service that should be done every 2 to 3 years.

please keep in mind, my supercharger coupler went bad weeks after carbon cleaning was done, the two things may be completely unrelated, but if there is any chance that injecting cleaning chemical in the intake messed with the supercharger, I would avoid the service altogether.

Here is a video clip of my mechanic performing the service on an Audi R8 (he is a VW, Audi Specialest)

skip to 3:58, sorry couldn't time stamp the link for some reason.

I paid $150 CAD I believe,

good luck with the service!

Old 02-19-2020, 06:27 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

My shop does both, like you said will do with chemical for preventative cleaning, NOTE: , he said chemical does not work well on supercharged engines. when I had the SC off and he looked all i needed as a quick spray of cleaner and wipe ( he was surprised after 90 k miles but felt that it may have been done before) He does walnut but told me to pass for another 25-30 k

Old 02-20-2020, 12:22 AM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. In the end the intake valve area was free of any build up so that was a positive. They found however that the brake vacuum pump is throwing an intermittent fault which i will get checked at the next service.