XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Coolant Level Low Alert???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Remove the underside "belly pan", and see if there's any liquid contained in it. If so, then start looking for any sign of liquid dripping from one of the coolant hoses, radiator, etc. If there's no evidence of liquid, then you have an inordinate amount of air in the cooling system. When you replaced the reservoir, did you run the engine, with the heater on at max temperature setting, and the radiator cap off, for at least 10-15 minutes?
Hi,

Any idea how I can remove the belly pan? I think I did run the engine for 10 mins but just to see if the error message still showed on the dash. I did not run the engine with the heater on max and the radiator cap off. Was I supposed to? What does this do?

Old 05-01-2019, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Get a coolant system pressure tester.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...cooling+system
I've never used one of these before. Is it suppose to cause a leak in my car?

Old 05-01-2019, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 352 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ704
I've never used one of these before. Is it suppose to cause a leak in my car?
Did you watch any of the videos?

Old 05-04-2019, 12:34 AM

Not entirely sure but I think I can smell a kinda sweet/burn scent coming through my AC vent when I turn off my engine. Is that the coolant smell? Should I remove the coolant tank again for inspection?

Old 05-04-2019, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

I'm really trying to be civil, here, but it's getting difficult......If you're not comfortable working on your own car, don't have the tools or the work space, or don't have the experience in basic disassembly/re-assembly work, then I suggest that you find a competent mechanic to work on your car for you. The wording of your questions suggests that you haven't done much automotive work in the past, and although it's now more difficult to gain experience, due to the complexity of newer cars, Jaguars are even more complex than most. Therefore, unless you're willing to start twisting wrenches, and possibly even making a few mistakes, here and there, you're just spinning your wheels.

By profession, I'm NOT an automotive technician, but I've been working on my own cars for a little over 50 years. During that time, I've gained a significant amount of knowledge/experience, but it all started with doing a little reading, and a LOT of wrenching. Unfortunately, simply asking questions on the internet, isn't going to get you where you need to be. You need to start working on the car. For example, you get the belly pan off of the car by crawling underneath it, and locating the 4 bolts, the 2 hex nuts, and the two self-tapping screws, that hold it in place (at least that's what's involved on my '09).....but if you're really interested in doing that, by now, you should have at least gotten under the car and taken a good look at how it's held in place, and made an attempt to remove it.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude, but until you start doing, you won't be learning.

The following users liked this post:
Paul Fisher (05-27-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,346 Likes on 1,847 Posts

You can borrow a coolant pressure tester for free from AutoZone or Oreilly's.
Sometimes I have trouble getting the right adapter for our car.
Do the test when the engine is cold.

To remove your belly pan just find all the screws and bolts. It's a bit fiddly but not complicated.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:10 AM
Exclamation Jaguar XF 2009 coolant light solution

Hi all, newbie here but thought id add something that worked for me..
I have had a coolant warning level light come on my Jag. The coolant level was full. I found many people chatting about the CD foam under the float method. This will NOT work on the X250 Jaguar XF model simply because the float system is just too far out of the visible eye range. Ive written up as best as I can with diagrams. Hope it helps.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jaguar xf 2008 - 2011.pdf (345.0 KB, 105 views)
Old 06-20-2019, 10:23 PM

Think I might have found my leak after using a dye. It seems to be behind the engine. Can anyone tell me what part it could be? I've read references to a crossover pipe?

Old 06-23-2019, 09:17 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

took mine to the dealer under my extended warranty for the same thing.. got the level low alert only once but had been having to top it off once a week even tho i couldn't see any signs of leaks..
anyways towed it to the dealership and a couple days later they called and said yep there's leaks, cracked hoses/pipes, and that the water pump isn't "broken" but it was he said either weeping or leaking..
anways under my Axiom extended warranty, thru jaguar, all thats gonna get fixed, as well as quite a few parts of my suspension, sway bar, bushings, etc under it as well..

hell i was ready to try and do it myself but if its covered why not just take it in? i had to tow mine since i live 250 miles from my nearest dealership and didnt want the damn thing to blow up on my on the highway in the middle of nowhere in texas at this time of year, in this heat

good luck

Brutal (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 08:28 AM
Default Cooalnt tank removal

I have a 2012 XF and the same flaot is not working. I am going to replace the tank. Upon removing the 2 visible screw i am having difficulty wriggling the part out thats clipped in near the engine. Any tips? Do I need to remove the engine cover? I do not want to break anything but its really tight
Thanks

Old 10-27-2019, 01:44 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by coispup
I have a 2012 XF and the same flaot is not working. I am going to replace the tank. Upon removing the 2 visible screw i am having difficulty wriggling the part out thats clipped in near the engine. Any tips? Do I need to remove the engine cover? I do not want to break anything but its really tight
Thanks
the black plastic locating post on the reservoir goes into a channel in the wiper cowl bar. These are normally broken and anew reservoir has this. That bar has 2 10mm bolt on the drivers side end. take them out and put something under the bar to hold up and you can remove the reservoir and install it easily. After installing in the channel bolt it back down and finish reservoir installation. Keep in mind that the float even on new reservoir are stuck down and will turn on the light when full. I just fashion a coat hanger piece to lift the float. Shine a bright light through the side to see and lift of floor

Old 05-19-2020, 09:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem here and fixed it using durable plastic foam that I cut from a scrap. Drilled a 1/2" hole and cut the square to the diameter of the float, which certainly did not float when I placed it into a cup of water. To remove the black cap i cup a thin wire clothes hanger and fashioned a small hook on each en about 1/8 inch long. I wiggled each end (after bending it into t long U-shape) into two opposing slots in the black cap. I pushed it in fairly hard to make sure they were well wedged. This cap is over a half-inch long so there is plenty of "grip" on the wire. When i gently but firmly pulled, the cap came off very easily. After putting in my supplemental float and Jaguar float, which I accomplished by sliding them over a long metal rod I set on the top of the post, I held the float "under" with a screwdriver and reapplied the cap using the same wire I used to remove it. I held the cap firmly in place with a flat-bladed screwdriver while I pulled the clothes hanger wire out of the slots. The hooks I created were never really engaged as hooks, but did provide extra surface area "purchase" to enable removal of the cap. I was done in 20 minutes.

blaydes99 (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 11:33 AM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Good thinking, that is a creative way to tackle the problem!

Old 07-23-2020, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
lol...I had the same lighting issue in my 2011. The dealer replaced the circuit board in the overhead console. First time it happened it freaked me out. Lights would just come on randomly. Don't know if the coolant level is related to this though. I am thinking that you have two separate issues. My lighting problems only happened during cold weather.
All you had to do was pop out the light fixture and get the dust and dead bugs out, that’s whats triggering the Lights

Old 02-28-2021, 02:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Just ordered a new tank

I have a 2013 XF that the low coolant light is on. The tank is full so after reading these threads I ordered a new one from the Parts Geek for $75 plus tax with free shipping. It looks pretty easy to replace. I'll report back after I replace it.