XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Coolant loss with use of AC

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 08:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant loss with use of AC

Hey guys, currently stranded on a road so I'm asking in a hurry.

Recently did coolant system overhaul with the exception of radiator because coolant was spewing everywhere, turned out pump and hoses needed to be changed.

Two days later, another low level coolant warning, with no signs of coolant on the floor, so I'm guessing three things;

1. Indy did not remove air properly thus low coolant level

2. Coolant is burning due to improper head cover gasket installation (should show blue smoke in this case?)

3. I read somewhere it is related to the use of AC.

Your helps are greatly appreciated.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 363 Likes on 273 Posts

Check your coolant level, more than likely it went low filing an air pocket as a result of your coolant service. And a blown head gasket will make your car exhaust a lot of sweet smelling white steam with overheating of the engine.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Check your coolant level, more than likely it went low filing an air pocket as a result of your coolant service. And a blown head gasket will make your car exhaust a lot of sweet smelling white steam with overheating of the engine.
Hey, thanks for the response. Just got back home.

Refilled the reservoir with distilled water (was near the bottom of the reservoir,) checked the rear with iPhone recording revving up but no white smoke so shouldn't be the head gasket. After refilling to the top the reservoir level dropped around half a centimeter which I think is normal if there was air in the system.

I'm quite sure it is either the expansion tank or air in the system. Will try to refill with heaters on high temp tmrw.

Shop labor doesn't do justice it seems.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

The lower splash shield has some sort of diaper like material on it that can hold quite a bit a fluid and prevent the car from dripping on the ground when you have a small leak. If you do have a leak and you can't see it that could be what is happening.