XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Coolant Puke

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2022 | 02:27 PM
|
Default Coolant Puke

As I know a few of you were waiting on me to post feedback on the work I've been doing (new custom engine mounts; 90% new suspension with Spires Springs, some new "unserviceable" ball joints, a combination of new control arms with some new OEM bushings, some new OEM+ poly-filled bushings, and some new PowerFlex bushings; new driveshaft coupler; new OEM+ poly-filled trans mount; trans fluid and associated filter, sleeves, and adapter; diff fluid; new open-air cone intakes, etc.), I wanted to give a quick update... I finally got everything finished on Sunday night, and took it for a shakedown run before buttoning it all back up. Everything was going great, with the exception of clearly needing an alignment, when it did this:

Obviously, having her sit for a while had an adverse effect on the infamous cooling components. I'm guessing it's the water pump, or maybe the pump outlet tube? Either way, after all of that work, and being so ready to get it back on the road again, I was pretty upset on Sunday night. Luckily, I only went for a short run and noticed the steam under my hood, as soon as I pulled it back into the garage. I didn't get any warnings, and as soon as I popped the hood, the coolant tank was still mostly full... for a few seconds, anyway. Regardless, it let loose in a big way, and here's what it looked like:

I went to the Master's practice round in Augusta yesterday, which definitely put me in a better mood, but now I'm stuck trying to figure out exactly how much additional work I want to do while replacing whatever cooling component broke. I've settled on replacing all of the plastic pipes and hoses, but am trying to decide if I want to tackle the supercharger removal and coupler replacement yet. If I have to that, I'm probably going to need a few months to recover my energy to work on it, whereas, if I just tackle the cooling parts, I might keep plugging along in the near-term. Regardless, it still sucks.

Old 04-07-2022 | 08:50 PM

Check out Devin's sticky on cooling system plastics. We both did this service last year along with supercharger removal. At that time I removed carbon build up on the intake valves and did spark plugs. That looks like a water pump failure or the small tube that goes from the water pump under the supercharger. That part now has a metal replacement. Good luck!

Old 04-09-2022 | 12:23 PM
|

Thanks again. Yeah, I actually just replied to you on another thread, but you're absolutely right. I'm just dreading it all... including how much hell I'm going to catch from my wife for spending so much time on it. Ughhhh...