XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Coolant system replacement project

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Revelasti
Unless you have a link to people talking about removing it with the SC on I'm not going to waste my time. I had a similar situation with a previous car that I wasted a couple hours trying to avoid removing other things first which would have been a lot faster in the end.

I've read a couple times about people blocking off the symposer but I have no idea what it even is?
The symposer is a device tacked onto the back of the AJ133SC (V8) and the AJ126 (V6) to pump intake noise into the cabin, see here:

It is easily disabled by plugging up the top pipe, see here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...5/#post1553181
I did exactly that on my F-Type, took all of five minutes and it sounds much better.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

I agree with you that the SC needs to come off. BUT I was posting that you HAD to remove the SC to swap out the rear water manifold but had at least 2 people post back that they had in fact changed the rear water manifold and one guy even changed the SC oil with the SC still mounted! These were V-6 cars too. So it is possible!

That's why I said several talented members as I also won't try it without removing the SC!

The following users liked this post:
Reaxions (06-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 04:59 PM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I agree with you that the SC needs to come off. BUT I was posting that you HAD to remove the SC to swap out the rear water manifold but had at least 2 people post back that they had in fact changed the rear water manifold and one guy even changed the SC oil with the SC still mounted! These were V-6 cars too. So it is possible!

That's why I said several talented members as I also won't try it without removing the SC!
Changing the oil isn't that hard on the V6 with the SC mounted.

Old 06-09-2022, 09:55 PM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

It seems like most of your questions have been very well covered, but I'll add that even when you pull the radiator drain plug, expect a lot of coolant to still remain in the hoses, etc. Even after opening the radiator drain plug AND removing the coolant plug on the engine block (which also dumped a ton of coolant), every time I removed another hose, it was cleanup on Aisle 3.

Old 06-11-2022, 01:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reaxions
It seems like most of your questions have been very well covered, but I'll add that even when you pull the radiator drain plug, expect a lot of coolant to still remain in the hoses, etc. Even after opening the radiator drain plug AND removing the coolant plug on the engine block (which also dumped a ton of coolant), every time I removed another hose, it was cleanup on Aisle 3.
I saw on a youtube video they suggested just pulling the radiator hose as this would be fastest, not sure if it would actually empty any more though. I've got some old towels to put under the car for spills. I was not planning on putting the car on ramps but also not sure how to catch the coolant without lifting it.

Old 06-23-2022, 10:05 AM
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

When removing the supercharger, my mechanics always remove the cowling near the windshield and the wipers for easier access. Hope this helps!

Old 06-26-2022, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I just replaced the water pump and belts, but the plastic connector that goes into the front of the waterpump looked damage and sure enough it was leaking after. I just ordered the brass replacement upgrade, hopefully that should do it. I'm suspecting that was why it was leaking before. I did break one hose clip so now I'm trying to find those. I also saw a few other damaged things that I'll probably work on next. Whoever owned this car before me took it to the wrong mechanic.

The following users liked this post:
Sabrinaservicewriter (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Well don't be too hard on them as we have seen Jaguar service departments do exactly the same type of things. I think it's a time and money issue.
Glad to see you doing it yourself. No one cares more about your car than you do.

Old 06-27-2022, 12:18 PM
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Revelasti!

I'd love to hear how you like the upgraded version! I always wondered why an aftermarket company like dorman hasn't gotten into making these parts yet since as we know, they all tend to fail sooner or later. Hope it goes well and good luck!!!

Old 07-30-2022, 09:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well don't be too hard on them as we have seen Jaguar service departments do exactly the same type of things. I think it's a time and money issue.
Glad to see you doing it yourself. No one cares more about your car than you do.
I had to replace the plastic pipe under the supercharger. After removing the charge air cooler I saw what seems like a lot of oil shown in pic. Is this normal at 68k miles? Where did it come from? Do I need to worry and fix something?

Last edited by jmurraywv; 07-30-2022 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

That does seem to be more than normal. Maybe some others can post what they think?

Does your car use oil? How much?
If no oil usage I would clean that out and put it back together.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:08 PM

I've been so focused on coolant leaks, door locking issues, and timing cover oil leak that I've not spent much time monitoring consumption. I have only driven it about 3k miles and I changed the oil soon after I got it. I did look the other day and it seemed lower than I expected because I believe when I last checked, it was at the end (to the right lol) of the metered bar graph. I wish these had a dipstick so I could more easily check it but I know of the trick of opening the hood. Is the PCV controlled by that round device on the valve cover on passenger side? Is there something I need to check PCV related which would contribute to that? I have come across posts talking about a catch can on these but never paid attention to them yet. I don't like the idea of losing much oil so where is it coming from? All that is blow-by? I had a 13 with 120k and it never used any oil between changes and I would go over 3k miles and sometimes not until when the computer said to change oil. My gaskets were supposed to be here today but got delayed until tomorrow. Any help is appreciated and I was hoping to put this back together tomorrow.

this is front of supercharger after sitting from yesterday. A lot of oil there it seems. Looking at pcv pipes I don't see them wet at the openings.

Last edited by jmurraywv; 07-31-2022 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 04:00 PM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

Yeah, that definitely seems very excessive.

Old 07-31-2022, 10:06 PM

Is it the PCV membrane and should I get a replacement cap and diaphram? Oil seems more prevalent in the passenger side breather tube. But, the driver's side intake chamber from first pic seems to have more oil residue. What should I look at to figure out where it could be coming from? I don't have a check engine light and idle seemed fine so I don't think I have a vacuum leak in any of those tubes/hoses. I could do a catch can but I'd rather figure out why so much oil is going into the intake and leaving the oil system.

Old 08-01-2022, 08:43 AM

I found this to help me understand how the PCV and breathers work I believe similarly in the XF. I've read through the manual but without having seen the valve cover off the car, I wasn't sure based on the cartoon pics in the manual what it really looks like. I'll do some checking on the check valve on the driver's side. Does anyone know if the land rover pcv cap and membrane is the same for the XF? I found a rebuild kit on ebay suggested from another forum as well. I don't think one can remove the cap without breaking it so want to have a replacement in hand and not have to replace the whole valve cover.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ink-faq-67025/

Last edited by jmurraywv; 08-01-2022 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

First yes change the PCV membranes. They are side by side on the passenger side of the engine as you indicated. They are cheap but I don't think that's your problem but it's possible.
There are several guys on the F-Type forum running catch cans. I have considered it as this mod is almost universal on the US muscle car forums. Without us knowing how much oil consumption you have this all might be normal or not. You might need to assemble everything and do some more driving to see what happens.

Yes the PCV is the same between LR and Jaguar.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:18 AM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jmurraywv
I had to replace the plastic pipe under the supercharger. After removing the charge air cooler I saw what seems like a lot of oil shown in pic. Is this normal at 68k miles? Where did it come from? Do I need to worry and fix something?
I have no idea if that amount of oil is normal, but your photo looks basically the same as my 2013 XF with 64k miles. Even the bit of oil pooling around the rear-most bolt heads in the air intake valve areas. I just cleaned it all up and didn't look for any cause. I haven't really noticed oil consumption issues. I've never added oil between changes. I will monitor the oil level more closely go-forward.

Mike

Old 08-01-2022, 11:29 AM

Thank for the info and makes me feel a little better I suppose. I'll reassemble and then monitor more closely as well.

Old 08-01-2022, 11:39 AM

First yes change the PCV membranes. They are side by side on the passenger side of the engine as you indicated. They are cheap but I don't think that's your problem but it's possible.
There are several guys on the F-Type forum running catch cans. I have considered it as this mod is almost universal on the US muscle car forums. Without us knowing how much oil consumption you have this all might be normal or not. You might need to assemble everything and do some more driving to see what happens.

Yes the PCV is the same between LR and Jaguar.
I think I only have one membrane from what I could see. The breather tube connects right below it. Thank you for all your acquired knowledge and your willingness to share it. Plan is to put it all back together, top off oil and see how much I need to put in to get it back to full mark, get rebuild kit, then monitor oil level and hope for the best. I miss driving her. Been only a week.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

There are 2 diaphragms and these are cheap so I would replace them.

They unscrew and the new ones spin back on.

Quick Reply: Coolant system replacement project