XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Cooled seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 08:02 AM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by damienedwards
Hey boiler.....

On the seat backs (squab) its a rubber below to a PU mat and 10mm thick air distribution pad, this then blows through the trim cover which has sewn in a 15mm thick softer air distribution pad to the perforated leather...........the seat cushion os the same but no belows........just a duct molded into the B surface of the foam.........on the Jags never heard of any colapsing ducts as the angle of exit from the Amerigon blower unit is quite steep......the duct just compresses along its length rather than squashes in section......

hope this helps!!
I heard it was happening to some of the Ford seats, good to know our seats will not suffer any issues.

Thank you

Old 09-14-2015, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I noticed that my cooled driver's seat works great when it's on but it will only run for about 1-3 minutes and then shut off. The display shows that the cooled seat is still on but but the fan turns off. It won't turn back on unless the car is restarted. I saw that someone else noted the same issue. I pulled the filter out and blew it out with compressed air but it wasn't dirty. I'm not sure what would cause the fan to shut off. I might try running it on low to see if there is a difference. The seat heater doesn't work for the driver's seat either but I don't drive it in the winter so I didn't notice it until recently. The passenger seat appears to work normally.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 09-14-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:42 PM

Good news the filter in the 2010 SHO is a DIRECT replacement for the filter in the Jag seats. So $20 for a filter instead of $60

The following 6 users liked this post by boiler:
BigTurk (10-24-2019), fabfive (09-22-2015), Long Islander (10-15-2015), macboots (12-30-2015), Panthro (06-16-2016), XJL (10-15-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-16-2015, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Nice work Boiler! Thanks for saving me some coin

Old 09-22-2015, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Thanks for reporting back!!

Was my part number correct?

Old 09-22-2015, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Thanks for reporting back!!

Was my part number correct?
I didnt check part numbers I took the filter out of their car and put it in mine.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:00 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by boiler
Good news the filter in the 2010 SHO is a DIRECT replacement for the filter in the Jag seats. So $20 for a filter instead of $60

Could you please explain how you replaced the filters? Also, I went to Rockauto's web site and I didn't see anything listed as "SHO." Is that a Taurus?

Last edited by Long Islander; 10-14-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

I have a Lincoln LS with A/C seats and have always had to get them from the dealer. I don't think the after market carries them.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Long Islander
Could please explain how you replaced the filters? Also, I went to Rockauto's web site and I didn't see anything listed as "SHO." Is that a Taurus?
Yes it is a Taurus all you do is twist counter clockwise to take out and clockwise to put on i think or the other way around. For Jaguar to charge what they charge for these filters is criminal.

And the after market absolutely does carry them

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=514&jpid=0

Old 10-14-2015, 10:42 AM

Curiously, Rockauto describes it as, "Climate Control Seat Filter Housing; Filter Insert not included." But you say the round black thing is the filter itself?

Old 10-14-2015, 11:52 AM

Curiously, Rockauto describes it as, "Climate Control Seat Filter Housing; Filter Insert not included." But you say the round black thing is the filter itself?
The black disc with the white fuzzy stuff is the filter, to double check go raise one of your seats and they are towards the front twist them and they will fall out into your hand.

I googled the part # rock auto gives and the ebay ads all show the same picture

Ford Front Seat Filter Left 7L1Z19E880A | eBay

FORD OEM Front Seat-Filter Right 7L1Z19E880A for Sale - emgCarTech

Old 10-14-2015, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

Good find! I am surprised but looking at the listing I did not know how common cooled seats are nowadays. Even a bunch of pickups have them now.

When I got my 2003 Lincoln LS it was a very rare thing to have.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:36 PM

I took a look at the seat cooling fan filters and sure enough, they are very easy to remove with just a twist of the hand. Both of mine looked to be very clean after 6 years however. Also, I checked the owners manual service section, and while it requires that the cabin pollen filter be changed every 2 years, it doesn't say anything about the seat cooling fan filters. Where did you guys read that these had to be changed every 2 years? I'm inclined to just take them out, soak them in dishwashing liquid, rinse and let them dry in the sun before reinstalling.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:02 PM
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

I took a look at the seat cooling fan filters and sure enough, they are very easy to remove with just a twist of the hand. Both of mine looked to be very clean after 6 years however. Also, I checked the owners manual service section, and while it requires that the cabin pollen filter be changed every 2 years, it doesn't say anything about the seat cooling fan filters. Where did you guys read that these had to be changed every 2 years? I'm inclined to just take them out, soak them in dishwashing liquid, rinse and let them dry in the sun before reinstalling.
Mine did too. I did the dishsoap spray on them and they ran pretty dirty despite looking clean. I don't see any reason why not to do it, myself. As long as you're gentle with the wash process and don't introduce extra big holes, it shouldn't affect it.

I was wondering though - is there a filter for the upper fan that goes to the seat back or do they both suck from the same place?

Old 10-17-2015, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by n8ertot
Mine did too. I did the dishsoap spray on them and they ran pretty dirty despite looking clean. I don't see any reason why not to do it, myself. As long as you're gentle with the wash process and don't introduce extra big holes, it shouldn't affect it.

I was wondering though - is there a filter for the upper fan that goes to the seat back or do they both suck from the same place?
So I chased a white rabbit down the hole... Turns out the filter is on the fan that's built into the back of the seat. Bonus is that I figured out why my seat back fan didn't seem to do much. Turns out the duct was busted and it seems like it's probably something that's really easily broken. This was a bit of a PITA, but I took looooots of pics. So I'll do a DIY and post a link to it here after I'm done.

BTW, the filter was dirtier than any of the others in the car. I'd recommend everybody get in and do this if you've noticed your seat back cooler sucks (instead of blows).

The following 3 users liked this post by n8ertot:
BigTurk (10-24-2019), Panthro (06-16-2016), seamagineer (08-23-2016)
Old 10-17-2015, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by n8ertot
So I chased a white rabbit down the hole... Turns out the filter is on the fan that's built into the back of the seat. Bonus is that I figured out why my seat back fan didn't seem to do much. Turns out the duct was busted and it seems like it's probably something that's really easily broken. This was a bit of a PITA, but I took looooots of pics. So I'll do a DIY and post a link to it here after I'm done.

BTW, the filter was dirtier than any of the others in the car. I'd recommend everybody get in and do this if you've noticed your seat back cooler sucks (instead of blows).
Same filter as the one under the seat?

Old 10-18-2015, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by boiler
Same filter as the one under the seat?
The very same.

Here's the DIY

The following 2 users liked this post by n8ertot:
BigTurk (10-24-2019), seamagineer (08-23-2016)
Old 12-30-2015, 02:33 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

So the Rock Auto link indicates Motorcraft FS104. Amazon pics and reviews show that the current version of the FS104 does away with the fiber material, and just replaces with a coarse plastic screen. This new design won't stop dust from going through, but will protect the blower from FOD (foreign object damage) to an extent. Makes me think we'd be better off going to Home Depot and buying some bulk filter material and replacing the fiber part ourselves. I'll investigate this further some day.

Last edited by Escolar; 12-30-2015 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Original response was redundant. Now adding value. :-)
Old 12-30-2015, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Escolar
So the Rock Auto link indicates Motorcraft FS104. Amazon pics and reviews show that the current version of the FS104 does away with the fiber material, and just replaces with a coarse plastic screen. This new design won't stop dust from going through, but will protect the blower from FOD (foreign object damage) to an extent. Makes me think we'd be better off going to Home Depot and buying some bulk filter material and replacing the fiber part ourselves. I'll investigate this further some day.
The original filters have a coarse plastic mesh with the fiber material on top of it. It looks basically like they just glued the edges of the fiber material to the disk, so your plan would probably work.

I'd think they'd want to make sure it got as much particulate out as possible, considering the air is being supplied from the foot area and there's really no way to clean out the seat holes if they get plugged.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (06-16-2016)
Old 04-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
I noticed that my cooled driver's seat works great when it's on but it will only run for about 1-3 minutes and then shut off. The display shows that the cooled seat is still on but but the fan turns off. It won't turn back on unless the car is restarted. I saw that someone else noted the same issue. I pulled the filter out and blew it out with compressed air but it wasn't dirty. I'm not sure what would cause the fan to shut off. I might try running it on low to see if there is a difference. The seat heater doesn't work for the driver's seat either but I don't drive it in the winter so I didn't notice it until recently. The passenger seat appears to work normally.
Hi there. wondering if you ever solved the partially cooling issue and seemingly full heating issue in your driver's seat. i have similar issue. duct taped the broken duct in the seat back today. going to see if that helps. blower seems intermittent to come on in cooling mode and performance was poor. maybe will see some improvement soon..
i've yet to experience any heat in bottom or back, even thought the dash screen says it's on high.

Quick Reply: Cooled seats