XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Correct HID Operation - Level

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct HID Operation - Level

I would appreciate if someone could confirm the operation of the HID lights in my car please.

I have a 2013 Sportbrake 3.0D Portfolio S with HID lights (I think all 'facelift' cars are HID - not sure?).

The lights seem to be aimed quite low - I am aware there is a method to manually adjust, but before I start to 'fiddle' I wanted to be sure they are working correctly.

Every other car I have had with HID lights goes through an up/down sequence when the lights are first turned on. My car is not doing this - is that normal?

I have stood on the rear door sill whilst the car is stationary to see if the light adjusts, but it does not. When standing on the sill, the light moves up but doesn't adjust to level out (although the rear suspension does start to compensate for this).

I have purchased some new bulbs (D3S OSRAM Night Breaker Laser Xenarc) which were not cheap, in the hope that they would help rectify the situation. I haven't fitted them yet, but when I do - it would be good to know if I should be looking out for any wiring problems when I take the lights out. I think this is a 'bumper off' job?

I have a iCarSoft LR2.0 diagnostic tool, but although it's a useful gadget - I think it may be outside of its capabilities to diagnose this problem. It has a menu item for 'Headlight Module' and 'Headlight Module B' - but when selected, neither show as installed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just in case anyone else looks for this in the future, I bought a 'copy' of the service manual from eBay. The description of the lighting contains this little nugget of information 'Sportbrake - no headlamp leveling as the vehicle has rear air suspension.' - so I was looking for a problem that isn't there!