XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Cost to replace brakes & rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
so, in addition to the brake replacement cost.

my question is what BRAND should i look for? I will probably have to do this soon.
I did R1 Concepts drilled and slotted rotors and posiquiet pads (which I was told were ceramic but think it's probably semi-metallic). They have been great for me / had them on for a couple of years now. You can find them on eBay.

And solidaxel - you're not missing anything on price. $2k includes much higher oem parts cost (lots of margin) and much higher labor cost for the work. Just the way dealers charge to cover their overheads. It's a simple job and any decent Indy should have no trouble

Old 02-13-2017, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
so, in addition to the brake replacement cost.

my question is what BRAND should i look for? I will probably have to do this soon.

I bought my rotors through Rock Auto Parts, and I got Beck Arnley rotors.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bumping a pretty old thread but...speaking of brakes gonna need them done myself in a while and I see yall talking about rockauto and yea they got pretty good prices for the full kits
don't know of ill go with the drilled/sloted ones but they did have centric and powerstop kits for cheap.

anyways yall said you got them on fleabay
i checked there and couldnt really get anything that fit my 12 xf, but on Amazon there's a variety and one that looked good called HART brakes.. full kit was Black Hart.. anyone heard of them? or another brand called Power Sport...

read pros and more cons about buying anything that's as cheap as those kits and just stick to oem or power stop and other name brands

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

thoughts??

Old 05-16-2020, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,213 Likes on 2,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Zuniga
bumping a pretty old thread but...speaking of brakes gonna need them done myself in a while and I see yall talking about rockauto and yea they got pretty good prices for the full kits
don't know of ill go with the drilled/sloted ones but they did have centric and powerstop kits for cheap.

anyways yall said you got them on fleabay
i checked there and couldnt really get anything that fit my 12 xf, but on Amazon there's a variety and one that looked good called HART brakes.. full kit was Black Hart.. anyone heard of them? or another brand called Power Sport...

read pros and more cons about buying anything that's as cheap as those kits and just stick to oem or power stop and other name brands

https://www.amazon.com/PowerSport-Dr.../dp/B017S6132M

https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Ha...%3AHart+Brakes

thoughts??
I bought the Hart kit (silver drilled & slotted) for my XFR some 6 years ago now, then moved the rotors over to my F-Type.
The rotors have been fantastic, smooth as a baby's bum, perfectly even wear (no grooves) and very little wear after all this time (around 40,000 km), almost zero lips on the outer edges and small lips on the inner edges.
The only down side was the pads that came as part of the kit were advertised as ceramic but they were not, instead they were the exact same Centric PosiQuiet semi-metallic pads I already had. Not bad pads but still fairly dusty and "graunchy" like the OEM pads.
However I believe the Hart kits now include true ceramic pads.
The most important thing is to double triple check the sizes of the brakes you have and the sizes of the advertised kits, as those Amazon linked kits rarely if ever show the actual rotor and pad sizes and sometimes they stuff up which model of XF the kit fits.
If you have an XFR or XF SC you will have the 380 mm front and 376 mm rear brakes but any other XF and you will have the 355 mm front and 326 mm rear brakes.
If you get one of these Hart kits and the pads turn out to be not ceramics, and you have the 355 and 326 brakes, then go with Power Stop Evolution ceramic pads, either Z16 or Z17, great pads and cheap as chips at Rock Auto. If you have the 380 and 376 brakes then you are out of luck with Power Stop ceramics and your choices of ceramic pads are fairly limited, two I know of are EBC and Porterfield R4S (carbon/kevlar but just as good as ceramic).

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
bfarrell (02-14-2024), Richard Zuniga (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I bought the Hart kit (silver drilled & slotted) for my XFR some 6 years ago now, then moved the rotors over to my F-Type.
The rotors have been fantastic, smooth as a baby's bum, perfectly even wear (no grooves) and very little wear after all this time (around 40,000 km), almost zero lips on the outer edges and small lips on the inner edges.
The only down side was the pads that came as part of the kit were advertised as ceramic but they were not, instead they were the exact same Centric PosiQuiet semi-metallic pads I already had. Not bad pads but still fairly dusty and "graunchy" like the OEM pads.
However I believe the Hart kits now include true ceramic pads.
The most important thing is to double triple check the sizes of the brakes you have and the sizes of the advertised kits, as those Amazon linked kits rarely if ever show the actual rotor and pad sizes and sometimes they stuff up which model of XF the kit fits.
If you have an XFR or XF SC you will have the 380 mm front and 376 mm rear brakes but any other XF and you will have the 355 mm front and 326 mm rear brakes.
If you get one of these Hart kits and the pads turn out to be not ceramics, and you have the 355 and 326 brakes, then go with Power Stop Evolution ceramic pads, either Z16 or Z17, great pads and cheap as chips at Rock Auto. If you have the 380 and 376 brakes then you are out of luck with Power Stop ceramics and your choices of ceramic pads are fairly limited, two I know of are EBC and Porterfield R4S (carbon/kevlar but just as good as ceramic).
awesome info
wouldn't have even thought about that
yes I have a '12 xf portfolio model
finally someone with insight into these brake kits
definitely gonna check more into the sizes on Amazon.. is there anywhere else they might sell these and get the exact kit needed?

now the mm measurement is for the rotors or for the brakes themselves?

Last edited by Richard Zuniga; 05-16-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

awesome info
wouldn't have even thought about that
yes I have a '12 xf portfolio model
finally someone with insight into these brake kits
definitely gonna check more into the sizes on Amazon.. is there anywhere else they might sell these and get the exact kit needed?
First thing to do is get a tape rule out and measure the diameters of your brake rotors, easy enough to do without even removing any wheels.
You only need to measure one rear rotor as the difference between 326 mm and 376 mm is obvious.
If it's 376 mm then you have the 380 mm fronts, if it's 326 mm then you have the 355 mm fronts. It's vaguely possible that a previous owner may have upgraded the 355 mm fronts to the 380 mm but that's around a one in a million chance!
Just search eBay and eBay US and eBay Motors for "Jaguar XF brake rotors" and you will get heaps of hits including Hart, Power Sport and so on, and most of those will show the rotor and/or pad sizes although you may have to search the fine print to find them.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Zuniga (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 06:57 PM

First thing to do is get a tape rule out and measure the diameters of your brake rotors, easy enough to do without even removing any wheels.
You only need to measure one rear rotor as the difference between 326 mm and 376 mm is obvious.
If it's 376 mm then you have the 380 mm fronts, if it's 326 mm then you have the 355 mm fronts. It's vaguely possible that a previous owner may have upgraded the 355 mm fronts to the 380 mm but that's around a one in a million chance!
Just search eBay and eBay US and eBay Motors for "Jaguar XF brake rotors" and you will get heaps of hits including Hart, Power Sport and so on, and most of those will show the rotor and/or pad sizes although you may have to search the fine print to find them.
again great info
now... wanna come change them for me? 😂

Old 05-16-2020, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

again great info
now... wanna come change them for me? 😂
If you were in Adelaide South Australia or near then yes I would do it for you for the cost of a slab of beer!
I've lost count of how many times I have changed rotors, pads, even calipers across the XFS, XFR and F-Type.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:07 PM

If you were in Adelaide South Australia or near then yes I would do it for you for the cost of a slab of beer!
I've lost count of how many times I have changed rotors, pads, even calipers across the XFS, XFR and F-Type.
heheh I'm just nervous to do anything on this car reading how they are like sensitive to all kinds of little things
i was used to working on older us cars where it was bang bang and done not having to worry about this little thing or that

but once again i appreciate the info and while doing this will have a few for you 🍻🍺

and to think this is what the dealer was gonna charge lol

Old 05-16-2020, 07:09 PM

heheh I'm just nervous to do anything on this car reading how they are like sensitive to all kinds of little things
i was used to working on older us cars where it was bang bang and done not having to worry about this little thing or that

but once again i appreciate the info and while doing this will have a few for you 🍻🍺

and to think this is what the dealer was gonna charge lol

crazy

Old 05-16-2020, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

The brake pads / rotors are pretty easy to do with basic diy skills. There is a great tutorial somewhere on here with photos and detailed descriptions. And a clear list of the tools. Only thing you may need to buy (or get on loan from an auto parts shop) is the tool to manually wind in the calipers on the back brakes (front you can just push). It's pretty cheap to buy and pays for itself with the first wheel you do...

I have had the ECB red stuff on my XF SC for several years now and been v happy with them.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BritCars
The brake pads / rotors are pretty easy to do with basic diy skills. There is a great tutorial somewhere on here with photos and detailed descriptions. And a clear list of the tools. Only thing you may need to buy (or get on loan from an auto parts shop) is the tool to manually wind in the calipers on the back brakes (front you can just push). It's pretty cheap to buy and pays for itself with the first wheel you do...

I have had the ECB red stuff on my XF SC for several years now and been v happy with them.
I think you meant brake pistons!
But an easy mistake to make, I have mixed up calipers and pistons when typing many a time.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars

yea and I've seem some videos on YouTube got mostly what it takes to do it, and I think my dad has one of those brake tool kits to wind-up the pistons

only thing Is to what torque specs do the bolts need to be as well as the wheel lugs?

Old 05-16-2020, 09:24 PM

I think you meant brake pistons!
But an easy mistake to make, I have mixed up calipers and pistons when typing many a time.
haha same

so you know any torque specs for any and all bolts and lugs for wheels?
I know you said you're in aussie land maybe its all different specs?

Old 05-16-2020, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

haha same

so you know any torque specs for any and all bolts and lugs for wheels?
I know you said you're in aussie land maybe its all different specs?
Caliper bracket bolts (the caliper brackets bolt to the hubs then the calipers themselves attach to the brackets via the slide pins): 115 Nm / 85 ft/lb
Caliper slide pins: 58 Nm / 43 ft/lb
Wheel nuts/lugs: 125 Nm / 92 ft/lb.
Same specs in all markets worldwide.
One hint - for the front brake caliper slide pins you need a 9 mm hex driver, they are not common and are rarely included in hex driver sets but you can get one on Fleabay for cheap. For the rears it's a 7 mm hex driver, very common.