XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Countdown --- Velocity AP Tune arrival

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Load the tune, drive the car, put it back to stock, dyno, load the tune, dyno, win at life.
What he said...

Old 02-21-2017, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Load the tune, drive the car, put it back to stock, dyno, load the tune, dyno, win at life.
If possible, try to drive it for an hour aggressively in between re-loading the tune and dynoing it. Will give it an opportunity to adapt.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:20 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
OK..here are the tools of the trade:

a box....

a pretty box...and some stickers...(I love stickers...reminds of the sticker filled windows of my youth...dam..am I ever going to outgrow this ****!)

some cords....

...and...le boite magique ... in which Velocity will deliver tasty, tuned HP

The initial dyno was done at Eurocharged in Austin. At the time it was stock, with the exception of the K&N Filters:

...and the dyno results:

Now...for the mods. At the moment, the cat is breathing through a set of K&N filters going into a TCP Intake. It blows out stock headers down into a resonator delete and X pipe, and sounds off through a pair of dual active exhaust mufflers from Varex (I want the fighter jet tips from Paramount!!...is that too much?).

I am seriously think of finding a dyno closer to home rather than drive down to Austin to run on the same dyno. If anyone has any suggestions for places in the Dallas area let me know. I would love to order the front splitter from Mina if they would ever get around to sending me a picture of the dam thing. I am getting the XFR rear valence diffuser carbon wrapped. Then I will look into a "black pack" solution for the window chrome. Not going to spend money for the OEM black pack as I would rather put $1200 into a ALP jammer. The final piece will be a lower crank pulley, if I can find a place that will R&R for a fair price.

I plan to do the tune later this week when I have time. I actually have just been victimized by dirty sticky fingered vandals (just like the Jag factory) who took a $900 piece of electronics from my desk at work. Left it there for a few hours, and like magic, it grew little legs and just walked on out the door.
just an FYI i had all window trime wrapped in a black satin and it has worked out great....way cheaper and easier than the black pack....i also wrapped a couple of the chrome body trim parts in the body color

Old 02-21-2017, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Injekter
just an FYI i had all window trime wrapped in a black satin and it has worked out great....way cheaper and easier than the black pack....i also wrapped a couple of the chrome body trim parts in the body color
Yeap !!! I am getting all the chrome trim wrapped in carbon fiber. Not sure if I will go with vinyl or the real deal cloth. I am getting the rear diffuser wrapped in carbon fiber cloth right now and if it looks like it will hold up, I will do the rest of the chrome pieces in cloth. After the front splitter..i am done

Old 02-21-2017, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Yeap !!! I am getting all the chrome trim wrapped in carbon fiber. Not sure if I will go with vinyl or the real deal cloth. I am getting the rear diffuser wrapped in carbon fiber cloth right now and if it looks like it will hold up, I will do the rest of the chrome pieces in cloth. After the front splitter..i am done
Yeah, right!
I reckon you have the mod bug big time and you just can't help yourself, so plenty more to come yet.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

ok. damit......this tune is getting installed......quick question....does the process remove the file from the ECU? Will I be able to drive the car while I wait for the file to get sent back?

Can I do this over the weekend? This may be questions that Velocity Stu can probably answer

Old 02-23-2017, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member

Oooo oooo I know this....

The tune box just makes a "backup" of your current ECU stock file so you can send it off to Chris and Stu for them to mod. You absolutely can carry on driving until you get the mod file back....

Reading the file is pretty fast but if you have a battery maintainer, use it and turn off anything unnecessary like A/C, lights, etc just to be on the safe side with minimizing current draws during the flash process when you get the mod. Not meaning to sound scary but hey better to be as safe as possible.

Last edited by stmcknig; 02-23-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member

SWEET!!! Obviously its too late to do it tonight. Garage is still packed with X-mas decorations and boxes. I will get it sent out tomorrow. Maybe they will deliver it over the weekend !!!

...BTW Stu....the Varex exhaust is great !!! The sound is totally what I was looking for...nice euro sound, tight and crisp. Planning to get some audio/video tomorrow while I wait for the tune to come back. With the exhaust, the car really feels like it needs a lot more low end torque. Looking forward to seeing how the tune effects the way the car gets out of the hole.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear the Varex went to an appreciative home. I wouldn't want to over set expectations but the turnaround on tunes is pretty damn quick in my experience. Once you're all set, writing it back takes about ten minutes. Most tuners advice is to restore the stock tune in the hand held before a visit to the dealer, just in case they update your ECU on the sly. If they over write the ECU with a newer/different tune, you won't be able to re-read it or use the mod tune as it does some checksumming to be sure. VAP say if the dealer updates it, just reset the hand held and start over, by grabbing a backup of your new stock and sending it to them. Hasn't happened to me but a sensible precaution I have followed...

Old 02-24-2017, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Well...file sent. I don;t expect it back until Monday since I sent it so late. One thing that I did not think to ask was the requested features that I wanted. I thought of a few, but I am sure i left some out. What did you fellas request?

Also, got an email back from Adam and he said they are gone for the first two weekends of March, so the Dyno results are getting pushed back a few more weeks.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

I think the only thing you need to let them know if if you get the lower pulley installed...exhaust etc don't require any change...

Old 02-24-2017, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

I was thinking more along the lines of removal of the speed limiter, etc. etc.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

The VAP tune files are purely tune files, with no "added extras".
For the V6 you can get two tune files, one for the stock crankshaft (lower) pulley and one for the larger crankshaft pulley. Getting both files costs no more than getting just one of them, so you might as well get both. Then if/when you fit the larger pulley you should apply that tune. As I understand it, even if you ordered only one tune file, for example the "without larger pulley" file, VAP will send you the "with pulley" file FOC, you only have to ask for it. Of course you should not install the "wrong" tune, eg you will go backwards if you install the "with pulley" tune on a car that has the stock pulley.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

I was thinking more along the lines of removal of the speed limiter, etc. etc.
All those types of tweaks need the full SDD set up and a knowledgeable operator, they are not something VAP can do.
I was lucky in that I had access to both, so on my XFR I got the following removed:
- speed limiter
- TPMS
- Pedestrian airbag system
- Brake pad wear warning system
- Speedo overread

Last edited by OzXFR; 02-24-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

wow..ok...today I learned about progressive rate taxation ...the leggy blonde thinks I am quite the idiot for not understanding this prior to her lecturing me....apparently she is made of more than just great legs. And, I learned this. Disappointing on both ends.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member

wow..ok...today I learned about progressive rate taxation ...the leggy blonde thinks I am quite the idiot for not understanding this prior to her lecturing me....apparently she is made of more than just great legs. And, I learned this. Disappointing on both ends.
Funny you should say that, guess where I worked for 35 years before I retired!

Old 02-24-2017, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

dude...please don;t tell me you worked for the IRS!!!

Old 02-24-2017, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member

...btw...after uploading the ECU file, my check engine light is on...is that going fo go away on its own? or will I need to have it cleared? Did that happen to anyone else?

Old 02-25-2017, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member

Oh yeah forgot the CEL. It should go away after a few ignition cycles if you don't have a tool to clear them. I recall the codes are mostly "unable to communicate with..." because the ECU is busy during the upload/download.

Don't sweat it.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

pheeewww.. yeah...it threw all sorts of warnings. Last time I saw that many codes being thrown at once was when the throttle body sensor went out on my old XJ8 VDP...it scared me a little to see all those codes popping up. Glad to know the CEL will go away. I have gone on three trips tonight, but has not cleared yet.

Quick Reply: Countdown --- Velocity AP Tune arrival