XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Crazy Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022 | 10:58 AM
|
Default Crazy Question

Anyone ever installed cut-outs or as we used to call them "dumps" on a 2009 XF? I miss the roar of my SRT-10 with open pipes so was just wondering.
Thanks

Old 05-02-2022 | 09:22 PM

A lot of us have had them on the XF. I've had them installed on my '11 XFR for 10+ years. I didn't have them on my '09 XFS (I just had aftermarket rear cans), but it should be pretty much the same.

Last edited by Reaxions; 05-02-2022 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2022 | 03:44 AM

Easy to test if it would be your taste by just doing a muffler delete. It sounds good, there is no arguing that. The 4.2 is one of those rare engines that is not horrendous at idle or even part throttle with straight pipes. At higher rpm it absolutely rips, especially in tunnels or parking garages.

On the flipside it means losing a noticeable amount of low end torque due to lack of back pressure, the power band moves up the RPM range. Also the exhaust scavenging is too fast for the cat do do its job, so the cutout butterfly often gets too gummed up if not used often enough.

Having the exits under the car is a CO2 concern so I went with Varex but they just stay open full time. Not recommending those, way expensive, heavy, remotes work when they want to, and rattling not long after install. I would be interested hearing about which cutouts that still flip after months of not being used on these cars, but for now I'll be trying some cheap flowmaster super 10 style single chambers to hopefully get some backpressure going as I miss the low end grunt.

Old 05-03-2022 | 10:13 PM

I never dyno'd before and after, but don't feel like it affected performance to where I noticed it from my seat. I also have the Mina rear cans on my car, so it's kind of the best of both worlds, in theory. Although, even though the Mina mufflers sound great when my cutouts are closed, they were probably a huge waste of money because I never close my cutouts. But, I don't think that even with them completely wide open it's as loud as a muffler delete. Maybe I'm wrong, but I always assumed that just because the butterflies opened, they simply offered another path, albeit much easier, but some exhaust still went through the mufflers? I do have the option to keep them partially open/closed at various settings, which would definitely not be as loud as a full muffler delete, though.

Regarding durability, I had to replace my original pair of RRP (Race Ready Performance in Texas) cutouts when I first installed them, over ten years ago, as their original single-coupler design which they initially released caused some rattling. But, they honored their lifetime warranty and sent me their newly-designed models with dual couplers (called the Patriot series, maybe?) way back then, and I've never had a problem since. I actually have the first set in a box somewhere in my garage, since they didn't make me return them.

I was never worried about or affected by the CO2 dumping under the rear of the car, as everything was sealed up nicely. The butterflies still work great with the original wireless remote, too. Well, that's not entirely true - I recently had to replace the battery in the remote because I never actually closed them, so didn't notice that it had died (probably years ago). But, now that I've replaced the battery, they still work as well as new. I'd never done a single bit of maintenance to them, either, until recently when I sprayed some PB Blaster on the valves outside and inside the pipes while opening and closing them. Hell, now that I think about it, if RRP is still in business and still offers a lifetime warranty, I'd highly recommend them.

Last edited by Reaxions; 05-04-2022 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-04-2022 | 12:34 AM

Thank you for the cutout suggestion. Really if in my region there wasn't an annual inspection I would just roll with a muffler delete.

The lack of backpressure affecting low end torque is indeed a debate and I just mention it for anyone thinking of going to straight pipes. The butt dyno would feel it more on a 4.2 than the 5 liter I think, still plenty of power where it counts but to me it's just not as effortless. This can be corrected with a tune.

The following users liked this post:
Reaxions (05-04-2022)
Old 05-05-2022 | 06:26 PM
|

thanks to all for the replys. Going with RRP set up. Just need to find a good shop East of Dallas for the install.
Next will be a tune.
Thanks again for all the help.

The following users liked this post:
Reaxions (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022 | 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Reaxions
A lot of us have had them on the XF. I've had them installed on my '11 XFR for 10+ years. I didn't have them on my '09 XFS (I just had aftermarket rear cans), but it should be pretty much the same.
Where were you able to fit them on the exhaust? I have a pair but they’re connected to a section of a y that is just a bit too big to fit on any portion on my stock exhaust.

Old 05-06-2022 | 11:05 AM
|

Originally Posted by boostedxf
Where were you able to fit them on the exhaust? I have a pair but they’re connected to a section of a y that is just a bit too big to fit on any portion on my stock exhaust.
If you want to sell them please send pics and price. If not, good luck.
Brooks-----brooks2874@gmail.com or (903) 456-5749

Old 05-12-2022 | 03:14 PM

Sorry for the delay. I didn't notice your question until just now... I quickly found these pix on my computer from when I added the Mina cans back in July of 2017. These are the RRP Patriot series cutouts.

Last edited by Reaxions; 05-12-2022 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2022 | 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Reaxions
Sorry for the delay. I didn't notice your question until just now... I quickly found these pix on my computer from when I added the Mina cans back in July of 2017. These are the RRP Patriot series cutouts.

I was looking at that exact same spot for a set I have. Mine looks fairly similar to yours in length and style so hopefully I can make it work. Do you have anything else done to your exhaust? Headers, Cats, X pipe or deleted Res? If by chance you have a video of how it sounds closed vs open with a list of exhaust mods (if any) can you post or send to me? That’s my next up with Coilovers and body kit. But I’m not sure wether to just stick with a cutout and back cans or x pipe or what. More looking to free up some possible restrictions of power than anything else.

Old 05-13-2022 | 06:41 AM

I left the front resonator in place to help prevent drone, as it's mostly a passthrough design, and I replaced the second one (further toward the rear) with an X-pipe. No headers or changed cats, but I'm on the fence about it while I'm doing everything else right now. I think most people replace the front resonator with an X-pipe and straight pipe the rear resonator, though. I think it's really just a personal preference, but I believe people think the X-pipe works better up front, although I don't remember seeing anything very scientific one way or the other. I get a ton of burbles, crackles, and pops with my setup, and I wouldn't change it for anything that didn't prove to be a substantial performance upgrade. I don't think I have any videos with the Mina cans installed, and it's out of commission while I do all of the work to the engine.

Last edited by Reaxions; 05-13-2022 at 06:46 AM.