XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Custom X-pipe & resonator delete - XFR

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
Thumbs up Custom X-pipe & Resonator Deletes - XFR

Some of you all may have seen my comments in this thread about exhaust plans. I figured I would start a new one to share the results of some custom exhaust work I had done.

First, serious props to Will @ Toxic Detail and Performance. He runs a small shop out of Indian Trail, NC that does seriously good work (Will was a tech at Underground Racing prior to this). They have focused mostly on higher end cars, Mustangs and Scion FR-S's. He's got some big stuff cooking right now on the FR-S platform but I won't blow up his spot. He got it done on time despite some technical and time related hurdles. Here is his site: Custom Exhaust, Custom Turbo Kits - Toxicdetailandperformance - indian Trail, Nc

On to the pics. I decided to remove both resonators, install a Magnaflow X-pipe where the first one is located downstream from the block and run 303 stainless piping to the Mina Gallery axle back. My goal was to give it a higher exotic-like tone and smooth out the overall sound. Interestingly, the pipes coming from the block are only 2" and then I believe it tapers to 2.5" after the first resonator. Will was able to work some magic to be able to weld in the x pipe nicely.

Quality TIG welds:

All finished:

First impressions:
I was a little nervous that freeing up the exhaust would make my XFR sound like an F150 but I honestly think this is the best sounding XF setup I have ever heard. This is absolutely how the car should have sounded from the factory and I could not be more pleased with how it turned out!! It did give it that higher exotic sounding tone starting at 3k rpms and the car is really only a little louder at startup and while idling. No noticeable drone on the highway. I may reset the ECU to find out if it will learn the change but I was surprised to note more midrange power, a much smoother throttle response and power delivery and possibly a little more top end pull. There is still a little burble and crackle on deceleration but it is noticeably reduced (which is fine with me). My buddy who came with me put it best: the sound it makes now completely fits the character of the car.

I am charging up the Gopro so that hopefully I can get some exterior video of the sound tomorrow under load. Revving in neutral sounds great but it doesn't capture the amazing sound this setup makes. Stay tuned~!

Last edited by WRXtranceformed; 05-02-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Nice! Glad you're happy and that my advice got you to where you wanted to be. And I said the same thing your buddy did after doing mine.

The following users liked this post:
WRXtranceformed (05-02-2015)
Old 05-02-2015, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Nice! Glad you're happy and that my advice got you to where you wanted to be. And I said the same thing your buddy did after doing mine.
Definitely glad I took your advice dude, couldn't be more pleased

Old 05-03-2015, 04:09 PM

Videos I took today using my GoPro for maybe the third time...the Stickycup worked really well. No external microphone, just used the skeleton door mounted right next to the license plate. I think it did a decent job in capturing the tone but it sounds even better in person Make sure to set it to 1080p!!

Old 05-04-2015, 02:11 PM

I forgot to add: Will mentioned that he would love to build an intake for this car. He seems to think it would be pretty easy to fab one up. I am not in the market for an intake at the moment but would be tempted to give it a shot so that we have another aftermarket option for our cars at a reasonable price.

I told him he should also start making x pipe cat backs for our cars and offering them to the community

raulan (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 05:28 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

I would be enterested in a price. I would even enterested in a more economical mild or aluminized steel price.

WRXtranceformed (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 01:16 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default U

Sounds great.......on the intake side its somethink i'm interested in although from the UK.....

I've allready removed the intake resonators and did remove the intake snorkels.....resulted in a slight increase in induction noise......what would be great is a couple of BMC type air filters located behind the front wheel arches/bumper and some completely smooth ducting to the supercharger......

WRXtranceformed (05-05-2015)