XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Cygnus 18" Wheels: To chrome or not to chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 05:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cygnus 18" Wheels: To chrome or not to chrome?

Hi All!

I've got the 11 XF with the regular 18" Cygnus-style wheels. I've added some add-ons like the aluminum pedals and chrome covers since I bought it, but recently I've been thinking about doing another upgrade/refresh for it. One thing that's come to mind is to improve the wheels. I'm considering getting a new style of OEM wheels, for example the 'Arturo' 19" wheels or Volans 20". One thing I'm worried about that route is a potential change in ride quality / suspension, or that it might become easier to get the dreaded curb rash, something I've become quite accomplished at.

An idea I've found out about is the process of chrome/pvd plating the wheels.

What do you think of this, as compared to changing to the set of OEM wheels? On the one hand, I think it would match the chrome mirror covers, lining around the cabin windowpanes, and front grille quite well. It might really improve the car's general look, and a few of my family members have said that the weak point of what is otherwise really quite a nice car are its wheels.

On the other, it seems quite 'flash' so to speak, and may be at ends with what Jaguar excels at , 'understated' luxury. Furthermore, I am really quite bad at maneuvering around tight corners, and I fear that potential curb rash damage would be more noticeable if it was a really shiny chrome surface. At least with normal, standard wheels it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Please be as honest as you want and I appreciate any and all opinions about this!

Attached Thumbnails Cygnus 18" Wheels: To chrome or not to chrome?-bw1kws-b2k%7E%24-kgrhgookkmejllmyg-tbkzp3bi-yq%7E%7E_12.jpg   Cygnus 18" Wheels: To chrome or not to chrome?-img_0153.jpg   Cygnus 18" Wheels: To chrome or not to chrome?-photo.jpg  
Old 01-26-2015, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

I hope this doesn't sound condescending, because I don't mean it to be, but with your propensity to hit curbs, you should not chrome your rims. It will cost you over $200 each to get them done and they will look bad shortly after if you continue what you've done to yours.

I also think that you should stay in the 19" range if you're worried about ride and pothole damage. You might look to an aftermarket rim like a Coventry Whitley for about $270 each and then get a deal with tires at the time you need them. They are painted on the spokes but have a chrome lip to tie them into the rest of the trim. Discounted Wheel Warehouse in Fullerton is local to me and they seem to have ridiculous prices on them. 19

I looked at getting something different for my XFR after bending two rims, but I couldn't find anything I liked better than the stock chrome Nevis rims. I like the look even better now that I changed out my grill to a black pack to tone down the bling factor a little.

The following users liked this post:
jaaag (01-26-2015)
Old 01-26-2015, 09:44 PM

Yes you make a good point! I might stay away from chrome as god only knows what mine would look like.

I try to be really careful about this but I tend to take corners too tightly to avoid traffic, sadly often at the expense of my poor back wheels.

Maybe it would be worth looking into selling my wheel set, and upgrading to a set like the Nevis. Are those the xfr OEM's? I wonder how they would look on my indigo blue '11. I wonder what the price difference between my Cygnus set and the sets that come with the higher trim cars is...

Old 01-26-2015, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 272 Posts

What about waiting for a set of take offs for sale on ebay of 18" wheels from a later XF?

2011 2014 Jaguar XF 18" Factory Wheel Rim Tire | eBay

Jaguar XF 11 12 13 14 18x8 5 59885 Original Factory OE Wheel Rim | eBay

It's just my opinion, but your stock wheels are some of the most boring wheels I have ever seen, and chrome won't fix them.

And you definitely don't want chrome from a curb rash perspective! They really can't be repaired/re-chromed properly. Sure, they can be re-chromed, but I have been told by many people that do chroming that it's not a good idea.

jaaag (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 01:30 AM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I am partial to chrome wheels and would suggest going with the factory 19 inch wheels for durability and ride quality. I took my 19s off and put on chrome HE 845 20 inch wheels with tires of a lower profile. I sacrificed ride quality but gained handling stability. Chrome wheels look awesome on the darker colored cars.

jaaag (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 09:36 AM

lotusespritse: That is definitely something I'm considering. Ideally, I could get a set at once as to avoid buying individually and waiting for 2 of the correct fit front wheels and 2 correct fit rear wheels of the same style to come on the market. I too don't think the cygnus wheels do much to complement the XF's styling, but then again I think there's a reason they're on the base model!

Mr Sharky: Hmm, yes the 19" wheels seem a good balance between the two. I can't help but think chrome would look like a nice improvement over my standard cygnus ones, but with me at the wheel I can only wonder what they might eventually look like. But maybe it's still worth it?

Old 01-27-2015, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I like chrome wheels and had my 18" Vulcans done on my 2005 STR. Never again. I don't live in the rust belt but even then I still get creeping rust/corrosion.

I think they are much better coatings out there today. That won't degrade and look just great. You mention PVD and check out what they can do with powder coating too.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:48 PM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jaaag
lotusespritse:
Mr Sharky: Hmm, yes the 19" wheels seem a good balance between the two. I can't help but think chrome would look like a nice improvement over my standard cygnus ones, but with me at the wheel I can only wonder what they might eventually look like. But maybe it's still worth it?
I am one of those guys that are accused of changing wheel and tire combinations like I change my shoes. I am never completely happy with one set or another and constantly looking to improve the looks of my vehicle. But like my friend said, the car is an expression of one's personality. So that being said, you should put on whatever pleases you and no one else. I love choices. That is why I live in America!