XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

DAB Retro-Fit XF

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 02:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question DAB Retro-Fit XF

Hi all.

I've been reading through various forums and read various things.

Can I buy a DAB module from ebay and install it in the boot where the Sat Nav DVD is?
I've checked and there is a spare aerial plug.
I can take power from anywhere.
And a standard fiber optic cable can be fitted to prove the loop into the DVD unit.

I believe the DAB option should appear on the audio screen once fitted??

Any one have any advice or suggestions before i start spending on ebay?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Received 4,456 Likes on 2,427 Posts

It's not plug & play, the DAB must be activated in the Car Configuration File, using an unlocked SDD dealers diagnostic tool.

Dealers are not allowed to do this, but there are some of us who can, I have a couple of contacts in the UK who can do this.

Depending on the model year of your XF, the DAB module gets mounted under the front left seat, or in the boot.

You also need to change the antenna amplifier that connects to the rear window, there is a specific version which splits the AM/FM signal with an additional DAB output, this is not fitted to XF's that did not have DAB from the factory.

I have seen one XF that was actually pre-wired with the antenna cable for DAB, and one that was not, so you really need to check what's there on the car.

But the main thing is, you don't just plug in the DAB module, it needs some software changes to activate it.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:50 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
It's not plug & play, the DAB must be activated in the Car Configuration File, using an unlocked SDD dealers diagnostic tool.

Dealers are not allowed to do this, but there are some of us who can, I have a couple of contacts in the UK who can do this.

Depending on the model year of your XF, the DAB module gets mounted under the front left seat, or in the boot.

You also need to change the antenna amplifier that connects to the rear window, there is a specific version which splits the AM/FM signal with an additional DAB output, this is not fitted to XF's that did not have DAB from the factory.

I have seen one XF that was actually pre-wired with the antenna cable for DAB, and one that was not, so you really need to check what's there on the car.

But the main thing is, you don't just plug in the DAB module, it needs some software changes to activate it.
I can voucher for everything that Cambo has said here. He did my upgrades and I now have DAB, 440W Bowers & Wilkins 14 speaker Premium Surround Audio, 6-Stacker CD and a bonus rear window blind that came with the replacement rear parcel shelf.

I was a project of 12 months with Cambo identifying all of the parts and then both of us scouring the internet for the correct B&W speakers and all other components and mounting brackets. All original fittings and harnesses with one exception only for the DAB module which we decided a boot mount on top of the NAV DVD drive was most appropriate and a custom loom and brackets to fit.

Good luck if you are going down this route with just the DAB, but more is never enough when you start modding!

The following users liked this post:
Cambo (05-20-2017)