XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Damaged rear after a bad spin....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 09:40 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

Want to experiment with the car? There are track days just for this type of practice. Experienced performance drivers will show you how to dos and not to dos. Then when you are on the street you will understand what special treats you have in the car and can control what was one time unexpected. Good Luck!

Old 12-26-2015, 12:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried a 100 times to pitch my 09SC in sport and traction control off, I believe its called dynamic mode engaged. unless we are talking about taking a turn to fast and the rear end breaking loose I dont get it. my car no matter how hard I hit the gas and pitch it sideways, even in the rain, the engine will pause and only one tire will spin.

its pretty damn frustrating really, until the weight of the car has equaled out, meaning I am going straight, the car will not go full throttle.

I even tried it in several empty parking lots and the front end will wash out before the back end with the steering wheel turned all the way to one side.

ive been wondering if traction control is actually disengaging cause it still works!

Regardless, Sorry about your car, hope all is well again. I would be pretty happy with the price of that repair.

Last edited by jacob11379; 12-26-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:20 AM
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob11379
I have tried a 100 times to pitch my 09SC in sport and traction control off, I believe its called dynamic mode engaged. unless we are talking about taking a turn to fast and the rear end breaking loose I dont get it. my car no matter how hard I hit the gas and pitch it sideways, even in the rain, the engine will pause and only one tire will spin.

its pretty damn frustrating really, until the weight of the car has equaled out, meaning I am going straight, the car will not go full throttle.

I even tried it in several empty parking lots and the front end will wash out before the back end with the steering wheel turned all the way to one side.

ive been wondering if traction control is actually disengaging cause it still works!

Regardless, Sorry about your car, hope all is well again. I would be pretty happy with the price of that repair.
I think you have to hold the DSC button for 10 sec or something to completely disengage. Otherwise it's only partially disengaged.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:47 AM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

Yes n8ertot is correct.

The traction control gas 3 settings.

Full on, won't let you do much more than a chirp from the rear.

Hold trac button down for 3-9 seconds, "trac" mode is on, and you get a little bit more spinning but the car still won't let you slide sideways.

Hold trac button down for more than 10 sec. "D.S.C." (Dynamic stability Control) is off. No driving aids at all.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
Yes n8ertot is correct.

The traction control gas 3 settings.

Full on, won't let you do much more than a chirp from the rear.

Hold trac button down for 3-9 seconds, "trac" mode is on, and you get a little bit more spinning but the car still won't let you slide sideways.

Hold trac button down for more than 10 sec. "D.S.C." (Dynamic stability Control) is off. No driving aids at all.
Awesome!

Old 12-26-2015, 06:33 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob11379
I have tried a 100 times to pitch my 09SC in sport and traction control off...ive been wondering if traction control is actually disengaging cause it still works!
When it's off...it's off

Trac control OFF

If you're trying drifting you should try with dynamic off and on. We ran at the academy on the "wet" track and the cars perform very different in the two modes even with trac off. Have fun!!

Old 12-26-2015, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by allenman85
When it's off...it's off

Trac control OFF

If you're trying drifting you should try with dynamic off and on. We ran at the academy on the "wet" track and the cars perform very different in the two modes even with trac off. Have fun!!
I did something like this earlier today, first time since I bought the car, oh what fun I had today. Makes a big difference.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K Piper
Has anyone here been on any track days with the XF? Would it handle a track day?
Thought I'd chime in as I've done this and as I'm from the UK hopefully I can share some useful info!

Most modern cars will handle a track day - I've taken mine to one, and as long as you take good care of the car it is doable. There is plenty of info on dos and do nots for track days on the internet so I won't repeat it all here. The biggest gotcha with non-XFRs is the lack of a LSD which can make rear end control more tricky.

May I suggest CarLimits for a start? They do either a 50 quid day (shared) or a more expensive option with 2 or 4 people for a day (the former option is currently unavailable until fairer weather). It's cones on an airfield and a single participant on a circuit at a time so it's very safe, and it's designed to teach you about the limits of your car. I've done the 50 quid activity and I'd recommend it. I'm very tempted to try the more dedicated option now.

Otherwise there are many track days in the UK based on old airfields, these naturally have large runoffs which avoids damage. There are still other people to hit though, so track day insurance would be a must.

As mentioned by other members a nice large empty (kerb-less!) car park is probably your other alternative... Be careful out there!

Simon