XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Dash Rattle - Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 08:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dash Rattle - Update

So about 10 months ago I had the car in for annual maintenance at the dealer (2013 XF 3.0 Portfolio Sport). I brought up the annoying rattle emanating from the center of the dash near the windshield. The service invoice noted that the dash was removed, foam padding/insulation were installed to quell the rattle. All was good for about 8 months.

The right before this past Thanksgiving, the rattle started to resurface. Eventually I couldn't take it anymore so I brought the car back to the dealer yesterday. This time, the tech noted that foam insulation was added in/around the speaker cover in the middle of the dash (I have the Meridian surround system with the center dash speaker). No rattles all the way home.

2/3rd of my commute to work this morning, the rattle is back. Driving home this evening, it's back and more pronounced than ever. I took video with my iPhone to capture the noise (seems to be most noticeable at 0:04 and 0:42 yet there are constant rattles throughout). https://youtu.be/6n--d4Rt95s

As if that weren't bad enough, as I'm pulling into my garage, I took off my seatbelt and the warning beep sounds as if the speaker from which the noise is coming has been blown. Perhaps a result of the dealer poking around the dash yesterday? https://youtu.be/SMQonuJoUOI

Has anyone had similar experiences to this everlasting dash rattle? I'm going to take the car back in ASAP, which will be my 3rd time addressing it (I am the 3rd owner). Luckily car is still under original warranty for 3 more months and CPO warranty for a year after that. Not sure how to get them to fix this once and for all.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

I'd make sure you get it sorted under original warranty as I doubt CPO will cover rattles

Old 01-25-2017, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

I have driven many many high end cars...(Maybachs, Rolls Royce, etc.). I have never driven a car that is completely silent when driven. These are machines that weigh north of 4,000 lbs, made of metal, steel, and leathers, and various plastics. I feel bad for you that your rattle is driving you nuts. I hope you are able to have it fixed.