XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Dashboard problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 02:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Dashboard problem

My _09_ XF Supercharge XF dashboard center section between the dials fades in & out. Dealer says don't bring it in till it is mostly permanently off. Easier to find that way. Anybody have information or experience with this problem? Can be off for 15 - 20 minutes & on the rest of the time. Not critical; butI like to be prepared. Some report electrical problems with '09's.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:12 PM
GGG
Received 16,869 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X250 forum. You need members with the same model to see this.

I've left an expiring redirect in General Tech Help so it's visible in both forums.

Graham

Old 06-06-2017, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Can't speak to the Jaguar but I recall similar things with my previous Audi where one of the connectors on the back of the instrument cluster would work themselves loose and give an intermittent connection. Hopefully something simple like that and not a cluster replacement....

Old 06-06-2017, 08:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Tchamp - I have a similar issue on my 2010 5.0 SC. I haven't got around to fixing it but have done an extensive amount of research/troubleshooting. As GGG mentioned the Audi's have a very similar instrument cluster LCD fading issue on the B6/B7 models. The cluster on the Jag is made by Visteon, not sure about on the Audi's.

On the Audi's users have noted that the issue was usually heat related. During hot weather the issue would get much worse. I have been able to replicate those issues. Ultimately, I believe it's a LCD capacitor issue, which on the Audi clusters were integrated into the LCD flex wire (making the whole LCD unit have to be replaced). There was a guy on the audi forum who purchased bulk replacement screens and did the swap for fellow users.

Unfortunately, the Jag community is not as large and replacement parts will be harder to find. I'm not technically inclined enough to troubleshoot the dash at a chip level so what I've decided on is purchasing a used instrument cluster and just soldering over the EPROM that holds my mileage and security data. As per:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-fault-141855/

Shout out to fletch106 for pioneering the EPROM replacement option.

SIMPLY SWAPPING THE USED CLUSTER WILL BRICK YOUR CAR. Those can only be reprogramed new or have the EPROM resoldered beforehand.

The two things I have to tackle now are:
-removing the instrument cluster
-finding someone to resolder the EPROM chip
-reinstalling the cluster and have everything work again

Best of luck! and happy I can finally help somebody after a year of lurking :P!

Last edited by mechanicalturkey; 06-06-2017 at 08:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tchamp (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 09:27 PM
Default Graham

Thanks.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just started having the same problem.seems it is as yet unresolved. I'm going to try to find somebody to rebuild unit will keep posted my results

Old 07-22-2017, 04:14 PM
Default dashboard fade in & out.

Mark:
I have heard of a dashboard replacement from a junkyard. Seems a bit drastic to me. It is very infrequent. Slowly learning to be patient it comes back on by itself.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:41 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

tchamp - my thoughts exactly...annoying but not annoying enough. exactly the reason why I haven't gotten around to doing the swap yet. One of these days but there are so many things higher on the list

Old 07-26-2017, 07:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

fixed mine------at least for 1 day ----pulled it out ---sprayed electronic cleaner on circuit board and 2 connectors and now it works-----------I have a spare used it to experiment --took it apart .lighting is all led ---20 +- for each gauge and 30 +- for center ---message center is a piece of glass with a ribbon connector ..also gauge pack is for each car has to be programed if swapped . I tried this ---------- installed and car did nothing and I mean nothing --will try to experiment further since I have spare gauge and car-------thanks

Old 07-28-2017, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 272 Posts

there are companies that specialize in fixing clusters. contact them to see if they can do it.

i have used this company before for a lincoln (close relative of the XF): R. T. Grim Company - Automotive Electronics, Instrument Cluster

they fix more than what they show on their website, so you have to call them.

having your unit repaired avoids all the craziness of transplanting a new or used dash.