XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Dealer Trips

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Trips

How are these cars reliability wise?

Any dealer trips outside of regular maintenance?

What seems to be the most common issue?

Tom

Old 08-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

My issues and some of the most common complaints I've read about on here:

-Gear selector issues: Fixed with replacement part for me (recalled for poor solder joint). Usually only on the earlier 09-10 cars.
-Door creaking: Never had the issue that I can say. The door rattles a bit when the bass hits but it isn't out of the ordinary. I lean on it and it stops. Some have made multiple dealer trips for creaking and posted about it.
-Gas cap issues: Cap seems to stick and won't twist off. Dealer said they lubed the rubber seal and it fixed the issue. I've had it happen once since they fixed it. I have to remember to lube it up every so often just to be safe.
-SC 4.2L Dirty Injectors: The dealer said ethanol content is clogging up injectors so we should run injector cleaner every so often. They cleaned them for me and I have run BG injector cleaner every few months. No issues since. I don't really believe ethanol was the cause. I may be the only one that had the issue so it is probably an outlier. Also this wouldn't include the 5.0L which most will have.
-Electrical glitches: I have to admit I've had a few but nothing major and usually restarting the car fixes any electrical issue. Auto head lights are buggy in my car (can't decide when to stay on or off in low light).
-Trans issues: Auto trans shifts rough when cold. I think this is normal for most autos. I've never had a auto previously believe it or not so that may be why I've noticed it. Normal/light driving for the first few shifts until fluid is up to temp is advised and I guess it should be common sense to let any car warm up before beating on it.

If I had to compare this to my other car experiences I'd say I've gone in more than I would have liked. I do have a 09 which is the first year of this model (in the US anyway). I guess that is to be expected. If you are going used I'd value one with a warranty over one without just to be safe. There are certified used cars with 100k warranties which is what I have. I'd spend more on those.

All that aside I love my XF and I'd do it all over again if I had the chance. I'm even thinking of upgrading to a XFR or newer SC XF in the future but I like my color combo (black/spice), 100k warranty is rare it seems, and its paid off so it would make sense to stick with it for a while.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 08-20-2012 at 01:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EvilGenius (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Thanks for the excellent feedback. How many miles on your Jag if you don't mind me asking?

How do you find the experience with the dealer?

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
My issues and some of the most common complaints I've read about on here:

-Gear selector issues: Fixed with replacement part for me (recalled for poor solder joint). Usually only on the earlier 09-10 cars.
-Door creaking: Never had the issue that I can say. The door rattles a bit when the bass hits but it isn't out of the ordinary. I lean on it and it stops. Some have made multiple dealer trips for creaking and posted about it.
-Gas cap issues: Cap seems to stick and won't twist off. Dealer said they lubed the rubber seal and it fixed the issue. I've had it happen once since they fixed it. I have to remember to lube it up every so often just to be safe.
-SC 4.2L Dirty Injectors: The dealer said ethanol content is clogging up injectors so we should run injector cleaner every so often. They cleaned them for me and I have run BG injector cleaner every few months. No issues since. I don't really believe ethanol was the cause. I may be the only one that had the issue so it is probably an outlier. Also this wouldn't include the 5.0L which most will have.
-Electrical glitches: I have to admit I've had a few but nothing major and usually restarting the car fixes any electrical issue. Auto head lights are buggy in my car (can't decide when to stay on or off in low light).
-Trans issues: Auto trans shifts rough when cold. I think this is normal for most autos. I've never had a auto previously believe it or not so that may be why I've noticed it. Normal/light driving for the first few shifts until fluid is up to temp is advised and I guess it should be common sense to let any car warm up before beating on it.

If I had to compare this to my other car experiences I'd say I've gone in more than I would have liked. I do have a 09 which is the first year of this model (in the US anyway). I guess that is to be expected. If you are going used I'd value one with a warranty over one without just to be safe. There are certified used cars with 100k warranties which is what I have. I'd spend more on those.

All that aside I love my XF and I'd do it all over again if I had the chance. I'm even thinking of upgrading to a XFR or newer SC XF in the future but I like my color combo (black/spice), 100k warranty is rare it seems, and its paid off so it would make sense to stick with it for a while.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I have 41k on my car. I bought it with 27k. I only drive it in the summer here in MN. I didn't want to pay for 20" winter tires and I have another car I can drive anyway.

The dealer is by far the best dealer I've been too. I come from a few Fords and one Audi previously. The Jag dealer has always been helpful. My sales lady was excellent and always stops to say hi when I've been at the dealer. They offer free car washes if you purchased from them so I'm in there about once every week or two. The service guy I have is a normal service guy like any other dealer. He's knows a little but is really there just to set up your appt. and relay info from the techs. The techs have talked to me before and the one I talked to was very smart. I'm a car guy so I appreciated him taking me in the shop to talk to me about the car. My dealer loans out Jaguars when your car is in for service and usually the exact model of the car you brought in (usually the newest version). I have gone to one dealer sponsored event in town and my family had fun so we'll probably go to others.

I know others have had dealer complaints. There are good and bad ones. Some have a lot of perks and others don't.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 08-20-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I have an early vin 2009SC. I can honestly say I haven't had any major issues with my car. Just like Blackcoog, I had the gear selector replaced. Not because it was faulty, but because they sent me a letter about it, so I had it replaced. I replaced the gas cap only because I broke the little extension when I was twisting on the cap. Every now and then my phone will not pair up, but I usually just turn the car off, get out, get back in and start it up and the phone pairs right up. (Crazy!) Other than that-nothin. (Knocking on Wood). I don't drive the car much. I've never driven it in rain or snow or any inclement weather. It's an 08 delivery and I have 26k on the odometer. I do have the extended warranty because of it being a 1st year car. I don't have any complaints. I've also thought about another SC or XFR, but I'm not crazy about any of the wheels or facelift on the MY12 SC. Although I do like the interior and infotainment improvements Jaguar has made on the new models. It has to be SC or XFR for me.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I have a 2011 SC with only 2k miles I bought new 3 months ago. No real problems so far. Phone connection is a little finicky, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Probably too few miles for any real issues. Love the car. Design, sport, luxury and a great driving car. Time will tell. I plan to drive mine this winter. My dealer was very professional from start until I picked up the car. They also offer a valet service to pick up my car and provide me a loaner and I am over an hour away from the dealer.