XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Decided on XF !!! Pre purchase inspection

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 12:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decided on XF !!! Pre purchase inspection

Been lurking around for a while . Thanks to you all....pretty much decided on buying a used XF.

Most probably it will be a 2012 V8 ( 40K miles) still has CPO warranty till end of 2017. Also looking at 2013 V6 Sc ( 60K miles) with CPO warranty till March 2018.

Need some inputs from you all on pre purchase inspection...Planning to do a pre purchase inspection though most of the major items should be covered under CPO. Spending $250 should be worth the money?

My preference will be to do this in one of the Jaguar specialized shops not at the dealer? ( I think a reputed independent Jag shop will do a better/ honest job than the local dealer who has been maintaining the car)

I am sure the shop will do a good job but anything specific for me to ask them ? On wearable items - Brake pads, Tires, belts / hoses, engine mounts? shocks??

I will have to rely on the test drive report from the mechanic as I am planning to fly in and take delivery of the car and drive back …. Any thoughts

Thank you

Old 10-16-2016, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts

Congrats on the upcoming purchase. Yes - I would definitely do a pre inspection. And get the full service records to check for past serious issues

Given CPO will cover many significant issues you have some peace of mind. Brake rotors and pads are an expensive and frequent change so check their condition. Tyres of course. Also check wheels are straight- they bend easily. CPO may not cover suspension bushings so check them all out
And it doesn't cover trim so look particularly at the dashboard leather which can wrinkle and pull up badly
Any other issues should be pretty standard to spot. Check water pump - they fail often. CPO will cover but better to have it done early

Good luck!

Old 10-16-2016, 12:40 PM

Anything else folks?

Old 10-16-2016, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aparanschumi
Anything else folks?
I just out a deposit on a 2010 XF and, pending inspection, I'll be buying it. It's got 52k miles, new pads, new rotors, and new tires. All for $22k.

It had the common dashboard issue lifting, but it's only bubbling in two spots and not pulling up at any seams.

The VIN puts it later than the rear differential issues and there was no noise coming from it.

Everything else checked out fine.

Can you guys make recommendations for both of us on two things:

•. Dealership vs. private repair inspection

•. List of specific issues for them to check for.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:40 AM

I am not too familiar with dash bubbling issue? Is it mostly for prior to 2012 model change?

Old 10-17-2016, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Digitron
I just out a deposit on a 2010 XF and, pending inspection, I'll be buying it. It's got 52k miles, new pads, new rotors, and new tires. All for $22k.

It had the common dashboard issue lifting, but it's only bubbling in two spots and not pulling up at any seams.

The VIN puts it later than the rear differential issues and there was no noise coming from it.

Everything else checked out fine.

Can you guys make recommendations for both of us on two things:

•. Dealership vs. private repair inspection

•. List of specific issues for them to check for.
Well the dealer can see the cars history from start to your purchase, but the independent will usually be cheaper, make sure the independent is familiar with Jags. Either way I would pose this question to those in your area, accolades for a dealer or independent are the best indication of how you and your Jag will be treated.
Been seeing some fuel pump and lower control arm issues as of late on the forum.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by aparanschumi
I am not too familiar with dash bubbling issue? Is it mostly for prior to 2012 model change?
Apparently they changed the glue and / or started stapling around 2012. And of course the most serious issues are 09-11 as the cars are older. But unclear whether 12s will be affected. It's easy to spot if you are looking for it (search the forum for photos) - often first seen around the center dash speaker grill. And V expensive to repair so check carefully to make sure...

Old 10-17-2016, 09:01 PM

Thanks. Got a good idea about the bubbling issue.

Where can I find what is all is covered in 30K, 45K kind of scheduled maintenance? Couldn't find in Jaguar sites

Old 10-19-2016, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car passed the PPI with flying colors.

The only thing noted was a paint repair to the left rear quarter and a few low voltage codes for the climate system (likely due to a dead/dying batter) that hadn't been cleared. out.

Loan in approved, just waiting on paperwork grrrrrr. Today would have been a fine day to take delivery seeing as it's 75 degrees in Boston in late October!