XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Decisions, decisions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Decisions, decisions

Some input from the XF forum might help me make a decision.

I leased my 2010 XF Premium since I was not convinced that Jaguar reliability was particularly good. Mine has had lots of rattles and had the rear lights replaced but has had no serious defects.

The lease runs out at the end of July and I have the option to purchase it for around $25K. I have the options for the B & W sound system, rear window shade and heated steering wheel (i.e. everything but the adaptive cruise control). It has 37K miles.

My question to the forum is should I buy it, go for a new 2012/2013 model or move on to another brand e.g. BMW (I have long owned BMWs and have had around 20 of them)? I love the car but I have two big questions:

1. Fuel consumption in this world of ever more expensive gas (I have averaged 22.4 mpg over the 37K miles).

2. Questionable future reliability of the XF (most car rating agencies show that they are quite bad for reliability and the 2009s seem to be getting quite a bad rap).

Old 04-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

$25k? Look at what NADA says it's worth: $31,350 rough trade, all the way up to $40,275 retail.

Even if you didn't want to keep it, I'd recommend buy it and then sell or trade. You can EASILY net $5K maybe $10k on that transaction. If I hadn't just picked up a 2011 Premium, I'd have given you $30k for that in a heartbeat.

The following users liked this post:
whitbyxf (04-16-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a great price. Even at the auctions they are going for low 30's but that is now not July.

whitbyxf (04-16-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

CarMax can provide a simple way to sell the car if you decide you want to step away from it. Not exactly the way to wring all the extra cash you have in it out of it, but would be simple.

I would recommend reading your lease if you do decide to attempt to sell (but not buy). Seems most leases now have a typically 90 days from the end of the lease “early payoff clause”. This clause basically states if you turn the car in at the end of the lease, everything goes as you expect. But if you sell the car in those last 90 days, the buyout value is reset to current market value (i.e. low mile = higher value) if it’s higher. Each lease is unique and not all have it. But typically once one writer puts that kind of clause in there, they all do. And then they start extending the current 90 day window for them to ring out as much cash as possible.

Not exactly sure this all applies to you. But thought you might want to know of the possibility and it’s impact on shortening up your window of opportunity.

Good luck no matter what direction you choose.

whitbyxf (04-16-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you really could net some cash on the lease buyout i would take it and roll it into a supercharged or an XFR. Gas prices, be damned hahaha. Isn't it great how willing I am to spend your money?

Old 05-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

That's not a bad price at all. It's a fantastic deal and i think the word i used is an understatement. Especially for a 2010 PREMIUM model.
Unless, you like the body styling of the 12+, i would buy it out.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Getting closer to buy out time and the total cost to buy it out is nearly $30K not the residual. All sorts of taxes, transfer costs sting you for quite a lot. There seem to be a lot of extra costs and the leasing people themselves said that buying out a lease is not very cost effective. They recommended I turn it in and get a new deal where there are some great deals out there. What surprised me is that they were not willing to make a lower offer on the residual (MB in the past offered me quite a discount to buy out the lease).

I have not been to CarMax but I used one of the online valuation tools (Clearbook) and it showed that $30K is what it is worth. So I am guessing there is no money to made out of buying it and then part exchanging it, say for a new 2012 XF.

I guess it is back to the drawing board. I wonder whether Jag dealers are in a mood to deal and give a deal on my leased car for a trade on a new 2012?

Old 05-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,634 Likes on 8,309 Posts

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
Getting closer to buy out time and the total cost to buy it out is nearly $30K not the residual. All sorts of taxes, transfer costs sting you for quite a lot. There seem to be a lot of extra costs and the leasing people themselves said that buying out a lease is not very cost effective. They recommended I turn it in and get a new deal where there are some great deals out there. What surprised me is that they were not willing to make a lower offer on the residual (MB in the past offered me quite a discount to buy out the lease).

I have not been to CarMax but I used one of the online valuation tools (Clearbook) and it showed that $30K is what it is worth. So I am guessing there is no money to made out of buying it and then part exchanging it, say for a new 2012 XF.

I guess it is back to the drawing board. I wonder whether Jag dealers are in a mood to deal and give a deal on my leased car for a trade on a new 2012?

Somethings wrong here...A year ago, my wife sold her leased Nissan Altima to her son when her lease was up. First, she had to buy it from Nissan and the payoff WAS the RESIDUAL plus sales tax and $300 + - for transfer stuff. THAT was all, nothing else. Sounds like the dealer is giving you lots of BS to get you to buy a new(er) car...nothing else.
YES..at that time, the trade in value WAS higher than the residual, but they had to honor the residual as it was in the contract. If it's in the contract, it's a legal document which they have to abide by.
Time to be assertive if you do want to buy it.
Good luck

Old 05-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Try Truecar.com. The dealers are dropping the 2012 XF S/C prices by $3K to $4K. Don't know about the base and portfolio models.