XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Denso head unit - firmware upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 06:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Denso head unit - firmware upgrade

Hi all,

I have a 2011 XF, and I currently have the Denso head unit / DVD player in trunk combo. I am wondering if anyone has ever attempted to upgrade / update the firmware on this unit, and if so, what were the benefits?

I can only dream that a firmware upgrade would change / update the fugly UI this head unit has, but maybe there's some lesser but still valid / important reasons to update the firmware on the unit? (new features, etc etc)..

thanks!

Old 11-20-2023, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,497 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Do you have a working SDD system?
If not I would forget about updating anything as it can turn into MUCH bigger problems!
No that system is long dead to Jaguar and there are no improvements.

Consider installing a bigger after market screen as there a number of threads showing different ways to do that.
Search is your friend again as this has all been discussed in detail.

Old 11-20-2023, 04:43 PM

>>Do you have a working SDD system?
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure what that is, so I guess that's a no. LOL

>>Consider installing a bigger after market screen as there a number of threads showing different ways to do that.

Search is your friend again as this has all been discussed in detail.

Yes, I know, I read those threads which are quite exhaustive, and ultimately they all come to the same conclusion, any head swap you do, you're going to at best lose features (why the Jag folks saw fit to include critical systems like AC and seat heating into their infotainment unit is beyond me..), and at worst, you'll end up with both losing features and a buggy unit (ala the Tesla style units).... so that's not really a comprise I'm willing to make just to get a nicer UI.

Hence why I posted this, just on the off chance that updating the software *might* refresh it a bit, but as you stated, no it won't, so it's a "learn to live with it" thing for me now.

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2023, 03:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the 8.4" unit and you don't lose anything as it has a pass through option to access the original headunit's screens.

Old 11-21-2023, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Actually no?
I lost no stock functions of any kind. You are correct many installs do. This was my number one requirement or I was NOT going to upgrade the navigation screen. On my car the stock screen is just an app like anything else in the Android world so one button push and I am back inside the Jaguar stock system. Same as if you never installed anything.

Here is my install thread from about 5 years ago. Still operating fine and be sure to understated that IF you do NOT install any of the stock boards in the after market head unit you will have problems and lose functions.

There is another problem ignored by most who attempt this and that's the cooling problem. The stock XJ (That's what I installed my big screen in) has a dedicated fan and ducts running to the center navigation stack and the main IP in front of the driver. I have talked to several guys who have burned up screens because of this. Touch the screen to see how hot it gets. Again this is fixed if you get a unit that requires the two circuit boards to be swapped over from the stock HU. Otherwise zero cooling as the fan no longer comes on.

My complaints on the Android update are slow booting (Which may be fixed now as the new screens use a later Android OS plus more ROM and RAM). But it's not bad as the system starts booting as soon as the car is awakened. So if I load something in the trunk by the time I get to the drivers seat and start the car the system has booted. But the park sensors work immediately and the USB starts playing music before it finishes booting.

The other is to me the after market Android screen does look as good in direct sunlight as the factory screen did. Gets washed out looking in direct sunlight. Again there are different screens and different settings for those screens so you may not get this.

I have not added a car play app front end (In my linked thread several other guys do post what app they use to run the Android screen) and there are now many out there. Additional things to think about is the whole 3G,4G,5G fiasco? Get the HU with the current network you want to use. As you know the early G networks are being shut down.

10.25" Screen Install in 2014 XJR

Old 11-21-2023, 11:52 AM

How does the the unit you have address the AC, Heated seats and all that jazz? Are they still available in the menus of your head unit? Does this unit still control the 6 cd changer?

Also, do you have a link or the name / brand of your unit? I'd like to read up on it more if you are satisfied with it.

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2023, 02:10 PM

Club,

Thanks for the detailed info. You talk about cooling the unit, and you have an XJ model correct? I have a 2011 XF, so as that's a different model, would I still need to find a head unit that would allow me to swap in boards? Swapping boards sounds way above my paygrade. I wouldn't have the first clue about how to modify the head unit and install new boards (I didn't even know that was possible).

So just for example, I found this unit which says it's compatible with the XF.
https://www.carnaviplayer.com/jaguar...upgrade-p-1517

and it does show a link to swapping in / out pcb boards.. learn something new every day.

If I installed a unit like this, would I lose the use of the 6 cd changer in the car?

Old 11-22-2023, 03:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NickJagXF
Club,

Thanks for the detailed info. You talk about cooling the unit, and you have an XJ model correct? I have a 2011 XF, so as that's a different model, would I still need to find a head unit that would allow me to swap in boards? Swapping boards sounds way above my paygrade. I wouldn't have the first clue about how to modify the head unit and install new boards (I didn't even know that was possible).

So just for example, I found this unit which says it's compatible with the XF.
https://www.carnaviplayer.com/jaguar...upgrade-p-1517

and it does show a link to swapping in / out pcb boards.. learn something new every day.

If I installed a unit like this, would I lose the use of the 6 cd changer in the car?
That looks like the one I have, but the specification seems dodgy e.g. there is no built in amp as it uses the auxiliary input of the built in head unit.
You do get access to the original gui via an on screen button.

Old 11-22-2023, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Yes there are a good number of units available and the only way we can figure anything out is by getting a unit and reporting back on the problems and issues installing it.
That's why my 5 year old thread now has 255+ replies! I used Merryway which is somehow tied into Carnaive? Again it's all Chinese so we really don't know who is connected to who and they may ALL come from the same factory?

Just be aware my unit is 5+ years old and things have moved on. But I would focus on units that promise FULL OEM functions AND require one or more stock Jaguar boards to be installed in the Android replacement HU.

I looked at the one you linked and it is the same Carnavie brand as mine and the video of the PCB swap looks very close to mine. I think you have a good chance that unit will retain all OEM functions?

Also note there is a HUGE language barrier and while Carnavie did respond to my questions I must say I was sometimes more confused after receiving their answer than I was before I asked it! But they did respond and do send them a picture of your current HU as they ask for BEFORE you place an order. There are different option levels and different screens (Dual View?) from Jaguar so variations are all around.

Since I have an XJ is there anyone who can add comments about the cooling ducts? Does the XF have them? I don't know?
Don't understand the comment about the amp as I don't think any of them include that? My XJ has a separate factory amp and that's still used after the Merryway unit is installed.

Are you OK that the screen is still the smaller 8" version? I wanted a larger screen?

Last edited by clubairth1; 11-22-2023 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-22-2023, 11:02 AM

Ahh, ok, so if I understand you correctly, there are removable PCB boards that I would take out of the stock HU and put into the new HU. I am assuming the purpose of this is to retain features / functionality of the original HU, such as AC and heated seats controls?

Well, I really wanted to rip it all out and install the Tesla style unit, but after reading your other thread and all the experiences with that, it doesn't sound like a viable option. So back to your question about size, well, since I'm not going bigger, I suppose I would just get something that's a direct size replacement (ie fits the same space) so it looks as close to OEM as possible.

I need to go measure the original HU, I have no idea what size it is..

Thanks again for all of your wisdom on this topic, it's very much appreciated.

Old 11-23-2023, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NickJagXF
Ahh, ok, so if I understand you correctly, there are removable PCB boards that I would take out of the stock HU and put into the new HU. I am assuming the purpose of this is to retain features / functionality of the original HU, such as AC and heated seats controls?

Well, I really wanted to rip it all out and install the Tesla style unit, but after reading your other thread and all the experiences with that, it doesn't sound like a viable option. So back to your question about size, well, since I'm not going bigger, I suppose I would just get something that's a direct size replacement (ie fits the same space) so it looks as close to OEM as possible.

I need to go measure the original HU, I have no idea what size it is..

Thanks again for all of your wisdom on this topic, it's very much appreciated.
Yes on the circuit boards.
No problem and since I don't have an XF not sure on all those details.
Would love to see what you get as things are always improving and changing.