XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Depressurize fuel system without being able to run engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts
Default Depressurize fuel system without being able to run engine?

Slightly odd one this, but I'm doing a fair amount of engine work at the moment - swapping out a leaky water pump (of course), changing spark plugs, and I figured while I'm here I'm going to swap over what I suspect is a supercharger isolation spring coupler on it's way out.

in order to do this I need to depressurize the fuel system. The workshop manual states that the way to do this is to remove the fuel pump fuse and run the engine until it stalls, and this is obviously the simplest and the safest method.

However, I have various parts removed from the engine at the moment so I can't do this.

How long does the system stay pressurized for after last driving the car? I'm wondering if the pressure will be lower or gone now (given that you can hear the fuel pump prime before the engine starts if it hasn't started in a while), and I can just remove one of the high fuel pressure line connections - I'd rather remove a bolted banjo one rather than a quick-connect one as it's easier to slowly control the pressure release.

Or is this not even going to be a problem as the engine hasn't run for a couple of days?

Old 11-12-2016, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

I'd cover any line with a towel while I break it open. Either side may still be pressurized, but the volume of fuel is low so the leakage should be minimal..

Last edited by Bigg Will; 11-13-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

It's not going to spill much fuel. Don't worry.