XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Desire to turn off DRLs on 2012 XF

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desire to turn off DRLs on 2012 XF

I would like to turn off the LED daytime running lamps on my wife's 2012 XF. We have repalced the standard headlights with the "non-US" version which does not have the amber reflector - instead it is black. The dealer states the computer shows that option as "blacked out" - i.e. they can't turn them off. They have e-mailed Jag tech support with no response.

Anyone have any luck in turning these off?

Thanks.

Cecil

Old 10-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

Pull the fuse if there is one specific to them. Usually there is. Why do you dislike them? It's the new fad. Everyone is supposed to like them.

I'll trade you a 2009 front end for the 2012 which doesn't have LED DRLs so you don't need to worry about them.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Default Reason for desire

This is my wife's car and she would prefer them to be off as they attract a lot of attention. That's good from a safety perspective, but she would prefer them to be off. She wants them to be on when she turns the headlights on, so pulling the fuse is not an option.

Cecil

Old 10-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Used to be an internal computer code. However, now the EU has mandated DRL my guess is it can no longer be disabled.

It is only noticable because the US does not require them on all vehicles. No studies have been done to prove they work when everyone has them. The studies show they work when first introduced into the market.

CHMSL suffers from the same lack of scientific evidence they work. No reason to believe they make any difference.

This is the trap presented by do gooder legislators and rapacious lawyers and insurers ( the insurance business feeds litigation lawyers like drug dealers feed pit bulls). Once somebody "proves" that an additional safety device or rule reduces accidents nobody can later "prove" that it doesn't and require removal or repeal of said device or rule.

The result is burgeoning bureaucracy and severe limitation on personal freedom.

DRL are just the thin edge of only one wedge!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I am just throwing this out there...call me an idiot or ignorant but thought I might just talk it out.

If you NEED DRL's but don't want the LED's and you want the LED's on when the headlights come on could you just swap the wires? Make the low beams come on for the DRL's and make the LED's come on when the lights come on?

I have no idea if this is possible nor do I know if it actually makes any sense whatsoever but thought I would just try to work the problem out with you...

Sorry if I am an idiot haha

Aaron

Old 10-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

The DRL's on the 12's are hard wired into the ignition relay. The only way to shut them off would be to cut the brown/yellow wire. But that wouldn't help you, if you want them on at night with the headlights. BTW, cutting the system down will probable cause you to activate a code.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:24 PM

Hi guys,

First time poster on the site here. A few months ago, I purchased a CPO 2012 Jag XF (base version). The LEDs look great, but some of the behavior is perplexing and I need someone to reassure me that everything's ok...

#1 - During the day, when I start the car, the LEDs don't come on immediately. They only come on once I shift from Park to Drive. Is this normal?

#2 - Again, during the day, when I switch my turn indicator on, the LED (turning side only, not both) switches off. The turn indicator (yellow light) keeps going until I finish the turn and switches off normally. At this point the LED comes back on. This behavior - I'm not sure I like. It makes me wonder if the LEDs are messed up. Some folks at work who drive other similar cars, also seemed to suggest they've never seen this behavior...

Are 1, 2 normal? Are these just Jag idiosyncrasies?

TIA!
-Jagcar

P.S. - Loving my new ride so far. feels real exclusive...!

Old 12-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jagcar
Hi guys,

First time poster on the site here. A few months ago, I purchased a CPO 2012 Jag XF (base version). The LEDs look great, but some of the behavior is perplexing and I need someone to reassure me that everything's ok...

#1 - During the day, when I start the car, the LEDs don't come on immediately. They only come on once I shift from Park to Drive. Is this normal?

#2 - Again, during the day, when I switch my turn indicator on, the LED (turning side only, not both) switches off. The turn indicator (yellow light) keeps going until I finish the turn and switches off normally. At this point the LED comes back on. This behavior - I'm not sure I like. It makes me wonder if the LEDs are messed up. Some folks at work who drive other similar cars, also seemed to suggest they've never seen this behavior...

TIA!
-Jagcar

P.S. - Loving my new ride so far. feels real exclusive...!

#1 do you always set the parking brake? If so the DRL's never run with the parking brake engaged. If not I am not sure.

#2 lots of vehicles (audi, dodge, jeep, etc) will turn the DRL's off when the indicator goes on. Didn't realize Jag did this but maybe it is the case? I have a 09 and I don't notice if but they definitely could have changed that feature. This is one of the things that turns me off of Audi to tell you the truth and I have no idea why companies do it. This is normal on other vehicles but like I said I didn't think Jag's did that.

Hope this helps a bit.

Aaron

Old 12-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, the operation you described in #1 and #2 is normal.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:25 AM

Thank you! that's reassuring, guys!

Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Thank you! that's reassuring, guys!
I think you've been sufficiently reassured, but the LEDs also will not illuminate when in Neutral. I guess P and N lockout of the DRLs helps if you are on a stake out and don't want the bad guys to see you...

Old 12-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

It makes sense that the DRL's go out when the turn signal is on because it makes the turn signal easier to see. I've noticed it on other cars when they are turning and it draws my eye to it more because, if my memory is correct, the opposite DRL is still on.