XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Did you consider the 2011 XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts
Default Did you consider the 2011 XJ?

I am considering buying a 2011 XJ, but I'm starting to wonder if an XF would be a better car for me. I don't think the size of the XF is necessarily an issue for me. However, I am a little disappointed by the levels of options, especially for the rear seat. There are no heated rear seats and no rear climate control options (the former you can get on a Hyundai Elantra).

On the plus side, the XF seems like much more of a drivers car, despite being the same weight or heavier than the XJ. The paddle shifters do the "throttle-blipping" like the XK and F-Type (the XJ does not), which really is what enables it to be driven hard through the twisties.

So did you guys consider an XJ? What made you decide on the XF?

Old 10-19-2014, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 268 Posts

When I was getting another Jag to replace the Kia Optima (oh god, all those options you get on the Hyundai's and Kia's could never make up for how horribly those cars drive and feel), I considered the XJ. The XF is definitely a driver's car. I don't think it's that nice to be driven in the XF in general, but it's such pleasure from the driver's seat. But in the end the XJ did scare me for reliability compared to the XF when reading about it. And in the end, I just didn't need the bigger car. Maybe I was unnecessarily scare about the reliability. I do like the XJ's as used cars. As new cars, they have been leapfrogged.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

That's funny--I'm trying to replace my wife's 2012 Hyundai Sonata!!! It has the sport suspension and you feel every single bump in the road. I think it's going to knock out my fillings!

I guess I really just need to figure out what my priorities are. I think this car will mostly be used to run errands, go on dates and drive out of town guests/airport pickups. I have an elderly father and he has a lot of trouble getting into the back seat of most cars (narrow door openings).

But I do like to have fun driving and with my XKR, I can't help but bounce off the rev limiter all the time and downshift just to hear that awesome throttle blipping action!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

The XJ is a very different car than the XF. I was considering one when I replaced my XF, and actually had a deposit on a beautiful stratus gray with London tan interior when I walked into my Audi dealer for my Q7's annual service. I fell in love with an A7 and bought it on the spot. While I loved the uniqueness of the XJ, it put a bit of a knot in my stomach thinking about buying it. I worried it was too big, had no AWD, and was too flashy for me (I am only 31) and thought the A7 was more understated. I sold the XF because it was too small (new baby and dogs) but the XJ just seemed like too big if a step.

In full disclosure, even if the numbers say otherwise, the A7 is no match to the XF in terms of power and handling (I love rwd), but inside I thought the A7 was night and day better. It just served my overall needs better. The XF was a bit of a lesson for me - I was hoping to combine a sports car and family sedan in one. When you do that, you compromise both. Doesn't matter if it is an XFR, M5, RS7, etc. I am now firmly of the opinion you should be more specialized in your cars, one sports car and one sedan. Given your XKR, the XJ may fit you perfectly giving you one of each!

Last edited by caviarjag; 10-20-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

I tend to agree--when you try to combine a luxury car and a sports car, the results can be unwhelming. However, since I will only presumably have one car (trading in the XKR), maybe I do need a car that can do both things! But now that you mention the XF is too small... I'll have to think about it!

Additionally, apparently the 2011 and 2012 XJs have a relatively common problem with the "popping" or "creaking" in the roof that can be difficult to correct. Sounds like a major quality problem and would freak me out about buying a car that wasn't local (imagine all the traveling and anticipation just to find out the car has a horrible creaking sound???)...

Old 10-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Never driven the XJ, just sat in it and I definitely think it's a step above the XF. The interior is out of this world. The driving dynamics won't match the XF, as it's built to be more comfortable and absorbs the road better.

Sports cars are fine, but I believe now days there is no need to have both. Competition has driven car companies to put out some outstanding performance orientated products. Take the SVR Range Rover, it goes around the ring in 8.14, where a C63 AMG does in 8.15 min. RS7, M5 those guys are in the same league as the exotics. So, not a whole lot has to be compromised.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
.......Additionally, apparently the 2011 and 2012 XJs have a relatively common problem with the "popping" or "creaking" in the roof that can be difficult to correct. Sounds like a major quality problem and would freak me out about buying a car that wasn't local (imagine all the traveling and anticipation just to find out the car has a horrible creaking sound???)...

There's a 2012 XJ-L in my garage, and yes, there is a little creaking in the roof, when the car is highly flexed, over irregular surfaces. BUT, the car has most of it's roof removed to accommodate the panoramic roof. There are trade-offs involved here. It's NOT horrible, however.....

Originally Posted by Executive
Never driven the XJ, just sat in it and I definitely think it's a step above the XF. The interior is out of this world. The driving dynamics won't match the XF, as it's built to be more comfortable and absorbs the road better.

As well as the XJ-L mentioned above, there's also a 2009 XF in my garage, as my wife likes her Jaguars. They are indeed, different cars, thus they handle a little differently. Yes, the XF is more athletic, but on the other hand, the XJ-L is by no means a slouch. I enjoy driving both of them.

The following users liked this post:
Executive (10-24-2014)