XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Differences between XFR and XF Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Differences between XFR and XF Supercharged

Hi Everyone

I was searching online to find out what Jaguar actually did to "detune" the XF Supercharged Engine to get it down to 470HP. Did they just reprogram and/or drop down the boost? Or is it something more...

Thanks
Dave

Old 09-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also interested in this and a couple other things.

What's different with the suspension? Just stiffer springs and thicker anti-roll bars?

Is there any difference with the exhaust?

Old 09-30-2010, 03:36 PM

I found some good information, but nothing really about the engine or exhaust.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/jaguar-xfr.html#
http://www.leftlanenews.com/jaguar-xf.html (select trim)

Old 10-06-2010, 10:52 AM

I've been talking with Dave at Spires who has confirmed that the engine is the same and the only thing limiting the XF Supercharged power versus the XFR is the ECU.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:39 PM

So has anyone changed the programming to the XFR programming?

I find it hard to believe though that it's any different -- I drove an R and my Supercharged and didn't feel any difference... I don't know how many XF Supercharged models they make but I'm sure it's not too many. And to make a special ECU programming to detune... Maybe it's just different settings. Oh well really doesn't matter both are crazy power and awesome!

So what do you get for the extra $12,000 between an R and the Supercharged:
  • Vented Hood
  • Different 20" Wheels
  • Awesome Seats (which alone are worth the 12k!)
  • R badging
  • Racing School!
  • R front grille
  • Rear Spoiler
Either way this is just a fantastic car. I get so many people asking what it is. It just a crack up!

Old 10-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Throttle response

The next thing for Jaguar to focus on is faster throttle response. There's a distinct delay when you hit the gas pedal as if the car is deciding whether to respond or not. I suspect it's the delay between supercharger not working and when it is.

It would also be nice to have a bit more power. The XFR is a heavy car so 550-560 hp would make an appreciable difference. I'm sure it's chippable to a point where you don't stress the gearbox and driveline unnecessarily.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by UltBlkXF

I find it hard to believe though that it's any different -- I drove an R and my Supercharged and didn't feel any difference...
I keep considering ECU reprogramming, but then I drive it on the track and change my mind. It's plenty fast for my taste. I'll put money into the suspension first.

The next thing for Jaguar to focus on is faster throttle response. There's a distinct delay when you hit the gas pedal as if the car is deciding whether to respond or not. I suspect it's the delay between supercharger not working and when it is.
Even in sport manual with dynamic mode? I've noticed plenty of sluggishness in all the auto modes, but not sport manual.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Yes

But to be fair it's a nano-second in sport/dynamic compared to what feels like a second or two in normal mode. I think its probably more to do with the supercharger than anything else. It's still a helluva car so this is nitpicking to perfection.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! What is the full form of XFR? and what is XFR programming???

Old 11-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it hard to believe though that it's any different -- I drove an R and my Supercharged and didn't feel any difference... I don't know how many XF Supercharged models they make but I'm sure it's not too many. And to make a special ECU programming to detune... Maybe it's just different settings. Oh well really doesn't matter both are crazy power and awesome!

So what do you get for the extra $12,000 between an R and the Supercharged:
  • Vented Hood
  • Different 20" Wheels
  • Awesome Seats (which alone are worth the 12k!)
  • R badging
  • Racing School!
  • R front grille
  • Rear Spoiler
Either way this is just a fantastic car. I get so many people asking what it is. It just a crack up!
Im blocked at work from image search can someone post a pic of the package, please? Im dying to get a look

Old 12-01-2010, 05:47 AM

New to Jag - picking my first up on Saturday - 2011 XF Supercharged. Test drove the XFR and the XF-S back to back. Could not feel any difference around town or on the highway. Decided to keep $12k. Although I think I may miss the hood scoops and seats but it's $ to put into other cars

As to sluggish response, don't know yet but if the Jag has a electronic throttle, then the issue is often with the potentiometer. Not that anything is wrong with it but it is often a design issue that can be corrected. I have what we call a drive-by-wire module on my Maserati that instantly transforms the throttle response from delayed and sluggish to extremely aggressive with the flip of a switch. It simply adjusts the signal coming out of the potentiometer to the throttle body control.

Any views on Stratus Grey - I'm second guessing myself.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:50 PM

I'm w/ you Ramp - I couldn't notice the difference.

But I do miss those seats!!

What color did you get?

Old 12-02-2010, 05:40 AM

Well, looks like I changed my mind. Went to the dealer to look at the color - Stratus Grey - just to make sure and ended up switching my order to a Stratus Grey XJ.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

The XF Supercharged was created to fill the void for those customers going to a dealer and who want to drive home with a car, but cannot find an XFR in stock. That said, the $12,000 that one spends on the XFR buys a little more performance, even if not discernible from the seat of the pants, the cosmetic differences which are significant, the interior difference which are significant especially in special colors, and most importantly exclusivity.

They are only importing 300 -350 XFR's per year into the United States. You are guaranteed not to see many of them.

I just took my XFR service, and there was one other XFR there. One of the young employees was giddy telling me that he's never seen 2 XFR's in service at the same time . . .

Old 12-05-2010, 12:45 PM

Also, the brakes and suspension calibration are entirely exclusive to the XFR.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
The XF Supercharged was created to fill the void for those customers going to a dealer and who want to drive home with a car, but cannot find an XFR in stock.
Considering that the XFSC (2009MY) was "created" before the XFR (2010MY), that doesn't make much sense

Old 12-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yup i just had two XFR's together they are very rare. One got winter tires lol. The R model does have different shocks stiffness and spring rate them the XFSC. The R is fully loaded where the XFSC in not. both are great cars and even the normal XF is awesome.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Jagtech: Where did you see the two XFR's?? It may have been mine since mine was in service this week and has winter tires . . lol

Old 12-11-2010, 04:53 PM

DukeDallas: I think you misunderstood. I was talking about MY2010 XF Supercharged that came out after the XFR with the 470 hp Supercharged motor.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
DukeDallas: I think you misunderstood. I was talking about MY2010 XF Supercharged that came out after the XFR with the 470 hp Supercharged motor.
Yes, I misunderstood. You're correct, when the 2010 lineup was first announced, there was no XFSC. It is a bit of an odd model in that there's no direct competitor amongst its chief rivals. The XFR aims at the M5 and E63, while the XFP takes on the E550 and 550i.

I do think it's a useful model in the lineup and wonder what the take rate is amongst the 4 XF models.

Quick Reply: Differences between XFR and XF Supercharged