XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

differential upgrade for the XF

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts
Default differential upgrade for the XF

I now this may have been done to death and I have tried looking up the relevant threads, but still have questions for anyone that has done this upgrade or knows anything about the gearing on the XF (...ahhumm--humm..Cambo...!!!))

My goal is to put down 450WHP. From a V6, that is pretty nice. But really I am interested more in the torque boost. I will be running a WON kit SB150i6 direct ported. A REVO MX controller will be pushing REVO valves into a direct spray system.

Yes. Its overkill, but the only way to get even distribution to all cylinders is to direct port (because of the inter coolers are in the way). Anyways....I am going to have traction issues. I want to start looking at possible remedies for that. Right now , I am putting down 367 WHP as per my last dyno run. Mods are in my sig.

What type of LSD can I install to get traction from launch. Even right now, my rearend is sliding to the left on launches when I have DSC to full off.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:34 PM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

The 3.0L S/C in the XF and XJ has a 2.56:1, which is the same ratio as the 5.0L S/C in the other models.

The F-Type V6S with the Torsen is 3.31:1

GKN is the company that makes the diffs.

In theory you could pull the Torsen centre out of the F-Type V6S diff and put it in the housing from the XF to retain the factory ratios.

In theory you could also fit the 3.31 diff from the V6S and reprogram the car to accept the different ratios.

In practise, this has only been done in theory. There was a programming test done on an F-Type, putting the "wrong" ratio programming in, and it threw up the expected fault codes, but the complete diff swap is still untried.

Putting in the E-Diff from an XFR is also possible, you'd need to change the driveshafts too, add the missing module and wiring, and do some programming to make it all work.

E-Diff retrofits on Land Rovers have been done (same system and electronics), no-one has jumped in to do it on a Jag yet as far as I know.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

I think I already have a lock on having a unique Jag. I have not heard or read about anyone putting down the kind of HP that I have from a 3.0L V6. As it stands right now, I have about as much HP/TQ as a 5.0L and after my spray kit is installed, I will have equivalent HP (but not torque) as the XFR-S. But, I will be missing the drivetrain components that the XFR-S has such as the LSD E-Diff. I don't think reprogramming is an option since the ZF TCU handles all of the torque management and there is no one that I know of doing any transmission tuning for Jaguars. I have read posts about Quaife LSD's being successfully put into XKR's and XJ's. I also found EuroToys sells a differential upgrade for the XK series. Wonder if that would fit into the XF diff?

Old 10-26-2017, 02:39 PM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

The Quaife is only available for the previous generation Ford/Visteon 8.0", the GKN diff in your car is totally different.

GKN make LSD centres for their diffs (e.g. the one used in the F-Type) but they are pretty much 100% OEM focussed and don't sell components aftermarket. I can't even find a seal kit for the GKN diff.

Swapping out the E-Diff from a 5.0L S/C is feasible, but the question is, how much time & money are you prepared to throw at it?

Old 10-26-2017, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Welp...that definitely puts a crimp in my cramp....this thread is a dead end. I guess for now I will have to live life spinning to the left doing one wheel burnouts....lol...thanks for the insights Cambo

Old 09-07-2021, 09:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pardon the interruption. i have a question about our differentials.
Does my 2012 5.0 XF base have 1WD diff or 2WD LSD??
i'm asking because i have some nice P-Zero tires to put out back,
but i'm concerned about running different tread depths.
Thank you.

Old 09-09-2021, 02:55 PM
Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts
Exclamation Huh?

Originally Posted by odurandina
Pardon the interruption. i have a question about our differentials.
Does my 2012 5.0 XF base have 1WD diff or 2WD LSD??
i'm asking because i have some nice P-Zero tires to put out back,
but i'm concerned about running different tread depths.
Thank you.
Your questions and statements make zero sense. The car is rear wheel drive. Unless you have the 4wd version. If the car didn't come with a E-Diff than it has a open differential. Why would anyone put different tread depth tires on a car? If the tires are the same diameter then the tread depth does not matter; the compound and the tread pattern matter in inclement conditions as one set of tires will grip better or worse than the other. This will make your car harder or easier to crash depending on which axle gets the better tires. The 2012 XF 5.0L has a 3.31 final drive ratio in the rear wheel drive version. I don't know what the 4WD version has. If your new tires are different heights than the tires on the car, it will throw off the speedometer and EPA figures. If your car is 4WD it will break the center differential because the taller tires will rotate at different speeds than the shorter ones.

You are ::confusion::