XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Diminished value in TX

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 07:35 AM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Diminished value in TX

Hi,

3 months into ownership of a 2012 XF Supercharged, someone ran into the back of me while I was stopped at a light. The other driver was insured with Gieco and they have admitted liability and are paying for the repair. Gieco's estimater originally planned to have the rear bumper repaired and the estimated for the repair was approx $1700. When the car got into the shop, the bumper was found to be in worse condition than originally thought so it was replaced. The new total for the repair is approx $4500.

My question is "can I claim any sort of diminished value due to the damage to the vehicle"? I've looked all over the internet and get mixed opinions. I did check with my insurance company (Progressive) and their rep said "not in Texas". Does anyone in Texas have any information about this or experience with claiming diminished value?

Thanks

Old 07-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,339 Likes on 8,596 Posts
Old 07-19-2013, 03:17 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Don't forget, you'll get a CarFax history now too....That will certainly diminish it's value

Old 07-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Yes, a long read indeed. My experience dealing with insurance companies tells me it's always a hassle, but just to keep on it. a couple of years ago I was hit by a truck while riding my Honda CBR1000. The driver was at fault and insured with Allstate. They low balled the bikes value and made it a total loss, but the difference was just $300. I fought their appraisal, got a lawyer and they caved in right before the trial. The settlement included changing their assessment from total loss to repair (they had already informed TXDOT that the bike was a total loss), but after they paid out the amount of the repair estimate, they decided that they didn't want to make the agreed change - worried about future litigation apparently. They then asked me how much I would want to have the bike totalled. I told them it would be the new appraised value, minus a few hundered dollars. Basically they paid out twice on the same bike. Lame!

Last edited by TXFireblade; 07-19-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 07-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Response to TXFireBlade

My niece was recently in a car accident in Houston, Texas. The other person caused the accident.

After my niece's car was repaired, she filed a Diminished Value claim against the other person's auto insurance. She used the website www.CarAccidentRecovery.com to filed the claim. Within 15 days she received a check for about $1400.

BTW, you can file a Diminished Value claim in all 50 states and Puerto Rico.

The following users liked this post:
BryanL (07-10-2017)
Old 07-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
Hi,

3 months into ownership of a 2012 XF Supercharged, someone ran into the back of me while I was stopped at a light. The other driver was insured with Gieco and they have admitted liability and are paying for the repair. Gieco's estimater originally planned to have the rear bumper repaired and the estimated for the repair was approx $1700. When the car got into the shop, the bumper was found to be in worse condition than originally thought so it was replaced. The new total for the repair is approx $4500.

My question is "can I claim any sort of diminished value due to the damage to the vehicle"? I've looked all over the internet and get mixed opinions. I did check with my insurance company (Progressive) and their rep said "not in Texas". Does anyone in Texas have any information about this or experience with claiming diminished value?

Thanks
progressive is full of it. there is to diminished value in Texas and know of several of my customers that PUSHED for it. Insurance companies dont like to talk about it but I know a long time customer of mine was hit in her 2011 XFR 1 yr ago and recieved $4500. Carfax will screw you on resale which is what your looking at on diminished value. I tell people all the time TAKE PICS before and after because all that comes up is "ACCIDENT" it doesnt list amount of damage. A rear end collision can be a bumper cover, tail light and exhaust, with no structural damage or the back quarter of the car replaced. I have seen great cars sit unsold for along time with a bad Carfax and dealers and many others dont want to take the chance. So if you have to push because you WILL loose resale/trade in value with a carfax hicky. Insurancew companies just dont like to let it get out because it increases their repair liabilities

Last edited by Brutal; 07-22-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
I tell people all the time TAKE PICS before and after because all that comes up is "ACCIDENT" it doesnt list amount of damage. A rear end collision can be a bumper cover, tail light and exhaust, with no structural damage or the back quarter of the car replaced. I have seen great cars sit unsold for along time with a bad Carfax and dealers and many others dont want to take the chance.
This. When I was shopping for my supercharged, I walked away from two cheaper XFS that looked great, had fewer miles, but showed an accident on the CarFax. I'd happily have paid $3k less if someone could have showed me a busted taillight or something other than an entire quarter pushed into the trunk.