XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Display Screen Flickering/ keep restarting

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Display Screen Flickering/ keep restarting

I have an old used 2010 jaguar XF (X250). Now I experienced a weird screen flickering and restarting randomly. Sometimes after engine-start, the screen starts to flicker and restart continuously but sometimes after about 5 times restarts it recovered. I have a USB drive with songs inserted at the USB port and the songs play when the screen is normal and there's no voice when the screen keeps restarting.

The clues I have are quite a few. The first thing is I called a jump start about a month ago when the weather in Houston was cold (But I personally prefer this is not the reason because even with the just jumped battery the screen can work at that time). Another one is one of my friend spilled about a half cup of Starbucks on the LH rear seat carpet (behind driver seat).

What should I do to rule out the potential cause and fix this annoying issue (though it won't influence driving a lot)?

Old 03-12-2023, 06:51 AM
Received 181 Likes on 83 Posts

Numerous threads on this problem, here's one;
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-101401/page2/

In brief, it's likely to be caused by water under the carpet corroding the bluetooth module.

The following users liked this post:
gumby7734 (03-12-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by POD XF
Numerous threads on this problem, here's one;
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-101401/page2/

In brief, it's likely to be caused by water under the carpet corroding the bluetooth module.
Hi pod,

Thank you for your reply. Seems like it's necessary to remove the Driver seat to access the Bluetooth module. I will find a friend to do this together. Do you think this could be a DIY repair?

Also, today I experienced another weird thing. After about 30mins driving, the screen stopped flickering/restarting but the music in any resource is muted (no voice/sound) but when I click the button on the screen there are button voices so the speaker should be fine.

Is there any association between this two issues?

Thanks a lot!

Old 03-12-2023, 08:00 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by twang12
Hi pod,

Thank you for your reply. Seems like it's necessary to remove the Driver seat to access the Bluetooth module. I will find a friend to do this together. Do you think this could be a DIY repair?

Also, today I experienced another weird thing. After about 30mins driving, the screen stopped flickering/restarting but the music in any resource is muted (no voice/sound) but when I click the button on the screen there are button voices so the speaker should be fine.

Thanks a lot!
Yes DIY...I have done it previously...2 times.... You need to clear the drains from the sunroof or it will continue to flood the area under the rug...

Last edited by gumby7734; 03-12-2023 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:42 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I get the same problem every time I insert a USB flash drive into port in centre console.

I resorted to transferring everything from the USB to CD’s and use that as my music source.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:46 PM
Received 181 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by twang12
Hi pod,

Thanks a lot!

Not a difficult DIY repair, unless you are like my friend who cannot pick up a screwdriver without injuring himself. The seat can be tilted back with the mounting bolts removed, it isn't necessary to remove any of the wiring to the seat itself; tilt the seatback all the way forward and it will enable the seat to prop against the back seat and give you good access to the floor via the front door. You need to prise up the scuff panel in the door opening to free the edge of the carpet. With the carpet pulled back, the modules are easy to identify and you will most likely see corrosion.
Others have implicated the sunroof drains as the point of water ingress; mine was coming from the airconditioner condensate drain.

I'm not able to comment on the other issue.