XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

DIY water pump replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 705 Posts

Picture seems to indicate a small screwdriver with its tip in the vicinity of the top of the elbow. So press the ring back toward the rear of the car or press it toward the ground? It would seems as if this little "ring" doesn't go anywhere. On the new pump, there is black plastic insert inside a brass barrel and its sort of loose, but its not intuitive as to what it does or how it functions.

Originally Posted by Bart Lenferink
Press the ring and pull the elbow at the same time

Old 05-23-2019, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone here provide the pdf manual or DIY steps to replace the water pump?

Old 08-14-2019, 07:08 AM
Default Jaguars 2012 XF I'm changing my water pump but is still leaking from the water pipe

Originally Posted by Maddshadez
I ended up doing it, and in the end did it 9 freaking times because in the back of the pump is a hose that just wouldn't seal right and kept leaking. The first time i replaced it took me about 3 hours, not knowing what i was doing. By try 9 i could have it off and on in 30 minutes. You are right, it's some tubing, the intake hose, and 4 bolts holding on the pump. The manual is helpful in a lot of areas, but not needed for this pump IMO.
I am changing my water pump it's leaking from the back side word of little pipe sticks in the water pump what did you do for how should I fixed the leak please help?

Old 08-14-2019, 07:27 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I had to take it to a shop. The intake manifold needed removed to access that little pipe to ensure it seals properly, and living in an apartment at the time i didn't have the time or tools to do that much work myself.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:37 AM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by big 9
i am changing my water pump it's leaking from the back side word of little pipe sticks in the water pump what did you do for how should i fixed the leak please help?
that becasue you are supposed to change the orings and pipe also. So when we say you need a new water pump thats not the only thing we replace. I also replace the bleed pipe. And to original poster. The intake does not come off to replace the pipe or orings.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:59 PM

I ended up doing it, and in the end did it 9 freaking times because in the back of the pump is a hose that just wouldn't seal right and kept leaking. The first time i replaced it took me about 3 hours, not knowing what i was doing. By try 9 i could have it off and on in 30 minutes. You are right, it's some tubing, the intake hose, and 4 bolts holding on the pump. The manual is helpful in a lot of areas, but not needed for this pump IMO.
I think I am having the same problem. Is there a trick?

Old 10-15-2020, 04:44 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bart Lenferink
Press the ring and pull the elbow at the same time

thank you soooooo much

Old 10-15-2020, 05:01 PM
Default parts

Originally Posted by Brutal
that becasue you are supposed to change the orings and pipe also. So when we say you need a new water pump thats not the only thing we replace. I also replace the bleed pipe. And to original poster. The intake does not come off to replace the pipe or orings.

is this the pipe you are refering too? alos where is the bleed pipe and poster?
Part Number: 131166-05834902
Brand: Eurospare
Notes: Engine Water Pump Connector -- To Oil Cooler

Old 10-16-2020, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 705 Posts

That short plastic tube does tend to want to point downward while you are trying to seat the water pump and I believe its important to go in straight because its not an ordinary o-ring, but a sort of ^ shaped affair that can either roll inwards or outwards and may flip-flop both ways (which can make it leak) if you wiggle it too much while putting it on. What I do is push the tube straight onto the (I believe its a water/oil cooler nipple), then to stabilize it I wrap a cord around it and thread both ends out either side of the throttle body where I can hold the ends firmly while pushing the pump squarely into position. Once the water pump is in place and the bolts threaded in a few revolutions, then I can let go one end of the cord and pull it out before tightening the bolts.

Also, if you buy the tube aftermarket, inspect it carefully. I just threw one out because it had a casting booger where the sprue was right in the spot where the o-ring would rest (another instance where an engineer should be fired - just pure stupidity). I thought about filing it off but figured I might not get it smooth or round enough so I just threw it away and re-used the old Jaguar one with the new o-rings (unfortunately its not actually very old since I seem to keep changing these things almost as frequently as the oil).

Old 10-18-2020, 09:38 PM

thank you for the tips. ill double check the tube. Pump came but looks a little different. might send it back!!1

Old 06-04-2024, 07:33 PM
Default Water pump

I
are you speaking about the black plastic that is shaped like a socket with a half circle at 1 end? What the water pump slides onto. Forgive me if I sound illiterate but this is all foreign to me . No pun intended. How does said black piece go because I see a notch on 1 side of that flange.

ended up doing it, and in the end did it 9 freaking times because in the back of the pump is a hose that just wouldn't seal right and kept leaking. The first time i replaced it took me about 3 hours, not knowing what i was doing. By try 9 i could have it off and on in 30 minutes. You are right, it's some tubing, the intake hose, and 4 bolts holding on the pump. The manual is helpful in a lot of areas, but not needed for this pump IMO.