XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015
View Poll Results: Distasteful aka "ghetto"?
YES
26.29%
NO
65.71%
UNDECIDED
8.00%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Think My XF is Distasteful (aka Ghetto)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Bklyn1971
They look great. I'm in the Dallas and haven't seen your car round. The rim size is right for the car but maybe you should have gone with a slightly larger rear tire if it would have fit. I personally didn't like the way the stock rear tire looked so I changed them to 285/35/20. And thanks for keeping it classy. Like Jay-Z say "No Chrome on the wheels, I'm a grown-up for real".

BTW, did you lower it?
Well, then I am extra glad I have the factory chromed Artura wheels!

Jay-Z is the ultimate personification of getto. He makes his entire living (and a good one at that) playing up that he is the epitome of getto, gangsta, and hood. Without it he would be MC Hammer, and we all know how that turned out!

Anything he rolls in, I roll the other way.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse

Jay-Z is the ultimate personification of getto. He makes his entire living (and a good one at that) playing up that he is the epitome of getto, gangsta, and hood. Without it he would be MC Hammer, and we all know how that turned out!

I can think of much more effective personifications of the American concept of ghetto. What Jay plays up is that he is the ultimate rags to riches story (nevermind whether you agree that he is). What he plays up is that he went from depressed circumstances and a life of crime to a savvy businessman with titles such as President, CEO, Owner, multi-millionaire and Mr. Knowles, all while staying true to his roots. Since we're talking about a rapper, I'll mention that there are rappers whose whole story and identity is based on "getto, gangsta and hood". I'm just pointing out that Jay's fame and his story is much bigger than that.

Last edited by duke_dallas; 03-01-2012 at 11:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by duke_dallas:
Bklyn1971 (03-02-2012), jahmezis45 (03-02-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bklyn1971
They look great. I'm in the Dallas and haven't seen your car round. The rim size is right for the car but maybe you should have gone with a slightly larger rear tire if it would have fit. I personally didn't like the way the stock rear tire looked so I changed them to 285/35/20. And thanks for keeping it classy. Like Jay-Z say "No Chrome on the wheels, I'm a grown-up for real".

BTW, did you lower it?
Thanks Bklyn. I don't put a ton of miles on it but keep your eyes open! I'm at 295/25 in the back which is as far from stock OD as I'd be willing to go. Not lowered. Yet.

It's been mentioned in this thread that tastes change over time. Well, excessive chrome (whether on wheels or trim pieces), particularly on a luxury car, is something I'm not feeling anymore. I don't even care for factory chrome wheels.

Last edited by duke_dallas; 03-01-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by ttboonie
"son, if you have to put rims on your car, then you've bought the wrong car."
This is off topic but that's kinda how I've always felt about performance mods. I'm loosening up on that a little but still have never done any significant performance enchancements. Each car I've owned has been more powerful than the last though.

Last edited by duke_dallas; 03-01-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rique
Word, my portfolio has 20" senta and they are the reason why I chose my particular car.
Great looking wheel.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by duke_dallas
I can think of much more effective personifications of the American concept of ghetto. What Jay plays up is that he is the ultimate rags to riches story (nevermind whether you agree that he is). What he plays up is that he went from depressed circumstances and a life of crime to a savvy businessman with titles such as President, CEO, Owner, multi-millionaire and Mr. Knowles, all while staying true to his roots. Since we're talking about a rapper, I'll mention that there are rappers whose whole story and identity is based on "getto, gangsta and hood". I'm just pointing out that Jay's fame and his story is much bigger than that.
Ok, whatever, I am still not doing how he does.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:02 PM

Cool.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And ghetto is distasteful and refers historically to Jews not black Americans. Odd that it would be co-opted by black americans with no understanding of the historical meaning.
What makes you think that African Americans dont know the origins of this word? I think most have heard of the Warsaw Ghettos. Also what makes you think it wasnt a word that was actually placed on African American communities. Actually I think that it accurately reflects the oppression and hatred that was cast down on a people. You my friend are simple

Last edited by plums; 06-12-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 03-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse

I dont think Jay-Z tries to create a gangsta persona at all. You can see obvious growth in his music which correlates to his growth as a man. Did you even listen to his last album? There was powerful music with great messages throughout his last work

The following users liked this post:
Bklyn1971 (03-03-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Ok guys, lets call it quits on the rapper lessons and get back to the OP and poll.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The wheels look oem in a good way and Great Taste! Any rubbing/Fenders rolled?
If not I think you could do so and lower the rear a tiny bit to match the front.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:56 PM

Thank fab. No fender rolling. I think I hear a slight bit of rubbing when turning up a ramp like in my parking garage. I assume it's against the wheel well liner but haven't investigated.

Oh, and the cars on uneven ground in that pic. On flat ground there's not as much of a difference.

Originally Posted by fabfive
The wheels look oem in a good way and Great Taste! Any rubbing/Fenders rolled?
If not I think you could do so and lower the rear a tiny bit to match the front.

Last edited by duke_dallas; 03-05-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:52 AM
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I like your wheels, If you remember I actually PM'ed you about fitment before I ordered my wheels. For those who voted that your car is distasteful, they will surely love mine when it is completed

Old 06-12-2012, 07:28 AM

Thanks tc. You chose a great looking wheel. Can't wait to see it on ur XF

Last edited by duke_dallas; 06-12-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Duke, isn't that the 09' Supercharged that come with the victory 20" Volans?

IMO, there is really no better looking wheel on the XF than those 20" Volans! Especially with the low pro-file tires!!! I have low profile Pirelli P-zeros and that makes my wheel look bigger than what they are.

For some reason, unlike other vehicles, the XF particularly does not look great with custom wheels. Maybe because the XF is already a beautiful car? One must make sure he get the absolute best looking rim when fitting them on the XF. It seems like unless it makes the look stunning, it won't look right at all. There is no middle ground when customizing an XF. It has to be right. It's to beautiful a car. The front of the xf has a low profile look, so a bigger wheel will not look right.

Some cars look great with almost any custom wheels, but not the XF. I say your car doesn't look bad, but not 'eye popping' as you would expect. And I know why you created this post, your cool with the look, but yet not 100% happy with it. The reason being because it already looked fabulous with the Volans. You probably just got tired of seeing the same wheels and felt a need to change. Look, do what I do, have your girl or wife drive ur car around the neighborhood, and follow her in her car and get a view of what other people see when they see you. Trust me, it works!!!! lol When I do that, I'm like "YEAH!!, No need to change a thing! No tint, no wheel upgrade, no nothing!!"

IMO, this is the only 22" upgrade that I've seen that I thought actually enhanced the XF with custom wheels.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/381139...xf#38113980005

The pic I posted is not my car. It's something I came across online. I like it a lot, but not enough to invest the money for the upgrade on something that I feel looks amazing already.

The only thing I did on my XF SC was went to the dealer to get the chrome side vents, which I absolutely love. The chrome dealer OEM does a lot for this car!! Especially the SC with the factory 20". The guy at the dealer said he didn't think it would look right before he installed it, then after he did he changed his opinion quickly and liked it a lot. So I recommend you look into that.

Last edited by TheLegend; 06-12-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:37 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 779 Posts

In fact, I am not a fan of XF styling... until now.
Yours is the nicest example of the XF that I've seen. Albeit the colour is wrong for a jaguar ;-) Good job on the wheel selection. Are you taking a esthetics design desk in Coventry?

Old 06-12-2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by TheLegend
Duke, isn't that the 09' Supercharged that come with the victory 20" Volans?

IMO, there is really no better looking wheel on the XF than those 20" Volans! Especially with the low pro-file tires!!! I have low profile Pirelli P-zeros and that makes my wheel look bigger than what they are.

For some reason, unlike other vehicles, the XF particularly does not look great with custom wheels. Maybe because the XF is already a beautiful car? One must make sure he get the absolute best looking rim when fitting them on the XF. It seems like unless it makes the look stunning, it won't look right at all. There is no middle ground when customizing an XF. It has to be right. It's to beautiful a car. The front of the xf has a low profile look, so a bigger wheel will not look right.

Some cars look great with almost any custom wheels, but not the XF. I say your car doesn't look bad, but not 'eye popping' as you would expect. And I know why you created this post, your cool with the look, but yet not 100% happy with it. The reason being because it already looked fabulous with the Volans. You probably just got tired of seeing the same wheels and felt a need to change. Look, do what I do, have your girl or wife drive ur car around the neighborhood, and follow her in her car and get a view of what other people see when they see you. Trust me, it works!!!! lol When I do that, I'm like "YEAH!!, No need to change a thing! No tint, no wheel upgrade, no nothing!!"

IMO, this is the only 22" upgrade that I've seen that I thought actually enhanced the XF with custom wheels.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/381139...xf#38113980005

The pic I posted is not my car. It's something I came across online. I like it a lot, but not enough to invest the money for the upgrade on something that I feel looks amazing already.

The only thing I did on my XF SC was went to the dealer to get the chrome side vents, which I absolutely love. The chrome dealer OEM does a lot for this car!! Especially the SC with the factory 20". The guy at the dealer said he didn't think it would look right before he installed it, then after he did he changed his opinion quickly and liked it a lot. So I recommend you look into that.
Thanks for the input Legend. You and I just have different taste, which is ok. Yes, mine came with the 20" Volans which are actually my 2nd favorite OEM wheels for the XF. Second to the Senta's of the Portfolio package.

I think there are rim choices that are better than others no matter what car, whether XF beautiful or Panamera ugly (in a cute way). Whether my choice was good is obviously debateable.

That's not at all why I created this thread. I'm very happy with the look. Certainly like it more than stock. The thread was created months ago in response to another thread unrelated to my car that has since been removed from the site. I do love seeing my car in motion, whether a reflection in a glass building or riding along behind the GF which I did just last weekend.

The light blue XF that you linked to is just evidence of our differing tastes. First, I personally feel heavy chrome is no longer a good look. Second, straight color-matching is losing it's appeal even more so in light colors. Kind of like a woman in heels the exact same color as her dress. A stylish woman would say "too matchy matchy." Lastly, the color-matched inserts create a look that's a little busy for the XF. All just IMO.

Now, I'm not just trying to be difficult here but I'm not a huge fan of the chrome side vents either. The XF has just enough chrome already although the chrome vents do look better on some colors than others, mainly the dark colors.

Last edited by duke_dallas; 06-12-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by guy
In fact, I am not a fan of XF styling... until now.
Yours is the nicest example of the XF that I've seen. Albeit the colour is wrong for a jaguar ;-) Good job on the wheel selection. Are you taking a esthetics design desk in Coventry?
Thanks. I think. Not sure if you were being sarcastic. I assume the proper colour is green?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default duke

Your reply to Legend was just what I was thinking. Although I like the Volans more! It does come down to personal opinion. And I don't care to much for the blue Jag either. I do like that he made it HIS own though. And for me, that's what it's all about. As far as your car goes, it's far from "ghetto"! And this is coming from someone who is straight from Oak Cliff! Since you live in Dallas then you know, I am from what they call the "Hood". And still work there, so I see plenty of customized cars. They do plenty of things to their cars that I would not even think of doing but if they like it, I love it!

Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

All I can say from clicking on the link that Legend put in his post, is........nevermind. I'm speechless.

Props to Duke for his measured response.

Quick Reply: Do You Think My XF is Distasteful (aka Ghetto)?