XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015
View Poll Results: Distasteful aka "ghetto"?
YES
26.29%
NO
65.71%
UNDECIDED
8.00%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Think My XF is Distasteful (aka Ghetto)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Twhite
I do like that he made it HIS own though.
...but if they like it, I love it!
Amen and amen.

I spent plenty of time chasing skirts in OC as a teen. Just moved my folks to N. Oak Cliff.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by duke_dallas
Thanks for the input Legend. You and I just have different taste, which is ok. Yes, mine came with the 20" Volans which are actually my 2nd favorite OEM wheels for the XF. Second to the Senta's of the Portfolio package.

I think there are rim choices that are better than others no matter what car, whether XF beautiful or Panamera ugly (in a cute way). Whether my choice was good is obviously debateable.

That's not at all why I created this thread. I'm very happy with the look. Certainly like it more than stock. The thread was created months ago in response to another thread unrelated to my car that has since been removed from the site. I do love seeing my car in motion, whether a reflection in a glass building or riding along behind the GF which I did just last weekend.

The light blue XF that you linked to is just evidence of our differing tastes. First, I personally feel heavy chrome is no longer a good look. Second, straight color-matching is losing it's appeal even more so in light colors. Kind of like a woman in heels the exact same color as her dress. A stylish woman would say "too matchy matchy." Lastly, the color-matched inserts create a look that's a little busy for the XF. All just IMO.

Now, I'm not just trying to be difficult here but I'm not a huge fan of the chrome side vents either. The XF has just enough chrome already although the chrome vents do look better on some colors than others, mainly the dark colors.

You are right, we have different taste. I do like the blue XF off the link I posted, but not necessarily for me, as I stated. My style is to look nice while keeping things simple. I like the wheels and matching paint, but I wouldn't put in the time and money to invest in a vehicle that is nice as is. That brings me to your vehicle; I wouldn't invest money on something that already looks nice. 09' Jaguar XF SC already looks NICE off the showroom floor. And IMO, it really can't look much nicer. So to go an do a lot of aftermarket upgrades is most likely going to downgrade the vehicle. The front end of the XF is rather sleek, so a 22" wheel on the front isn't going to be that attractive. But it's one of those things where people feel the need to 'do something'. Regardless of how good it looks, they got to put in their 'finishing touch'. Sometimes the best look is the original look, and that's the case with the XF supercharged.

And this may be a little bit straight-forward, as u can do whatever u want. But if u feel the need to put in "your touch", go buy a Ford or Chevy, and do all the customization you want. But Jaguar XF Supercharged should be left alone. The car already speaks for itself. So IMO, it was a waste of money. I think the over sized 22" wheel took a little bit of the class out of a sleek and naturally classy vehicle.
Big wheels is not for sleek cars, never has been. It's a basic concept that most custom shops will admit to if they are not trying to get your money.

Last edited by TheLegend; 06-12-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by TheLegend
You are right, we have different taste. I do like the blue XF off the link I posted, but not necessarily for me, as I stated. My style is to look nice while keeping things simple. I like the wheels and matching paint, but I wouldn't put in the time and money to invest in a vehicle that is nice as is. That brings me to your vehicle; I wouldn't invest money on something that already looks nice. 09' Jaguar XF SC already looks NICE off the showroom floor. And IMO, it really can't look much nicer. So to go an do a lot of aftermarket upgrades is most likely going to downgrade the vehicle. The front end of the XF is rather sleek, so a 22" wheel on the front isn't going to be that attractive. But it's one of those things where people feel the need to 'do something'. Regardless of how good it looks, they got to put in their 'finishing touch'. Sometimes the best look is the original look, and that's the case with the XF supercharged.

And this may be a little bit straight-forward, as u can do whatever u want. But if u feel the need to put in "your touch", go buy a Ford or Chevy, and do all the customization you want. But Jaguar XF Supercharged should be left alone. The car already speaks for itself. So IMO, it was a waste of money. I think the over sized 22" wheel took a little bit of the class out of a sleek and naturally classy vehicle.
Big wheels is not for sleek cars, never has been. It's a basic concept that most custom shops will admit to if they are not trying to get your money.
That's cool. I respect your opinion. Since it's not your time or money being wasted, no worries, right? My belief is that anything that is manmade can be improved upon no matter how NICE it is. My current style is to be a tad unique but not overstated, hence no chrome or wild color schemes. I do my mods for a variety of reasons including for fun and so that I'm not driving a car that's identical to 100,000 others that rolled off the assembly line but I NEVER do a mod just to "do something." If the wheels weren't an aesthetic improvement to my eye, I certainly wouldn't spend the money. Everyone can have an opinion on what's the best look for a car but no one's right, it's just an opinion.

Oh, and I'm not really into Fords or Chevys right now so....I guess I'll stick with Jags. Thinking Audi next (with custom touches of course).

Old 06-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I'll speak for myself, Duke. I like the car. Think its classy with just the right touch of "ghetto" that all luxury cars should have to get attention.

Stick with Jags - Audis are boring, dull, and not nearly as luxurious or fast as Jags are. I don't think you would enjoy them very much - I didn't like the A6 I test drove at all.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by arlingtonman
Well, I'll speak for myself, Duke. I like the car. Think its classy with just the right touch of "ghetto" that all luxury cars should have to get attention.

Stick with Jags - Audis are boring, dull, and not nearly as luxurious or fast as Jags are. I don't think you would enjoy them very much - I didn't like the A6 I test drove at all.
Thanks AMan. I agree about Audi's in general but I'm smitten with the A7/S7.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Legend

You say you like "clean and simple" but the blue XF is not that and you say you like that. Not very simple IMO. Not those rims anyway. Duke's is what you call clean and simple. The rims are stylish. Not alot of chrome on his car. Don't get me wrong there nothing wrong with chrome though. Its just that chrome asks for attention, hence not simple. Then you go on and say 22s aren't attractive on the front of an XF but the same car you like has 22s on the front. I understand your passion for the XF and that's great but it's like you are trying to convince him that he's done something wrong with his car. And according to the poll, about 65% of us like his car.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
Your choice for wheels is classy, so in no way your car looks ghetto. But, i do think they would look better if they were 2" smaller.
+1 ^

Old 06-12-2012, 07:14 PM

You say you like "clean and simple" but the blue XF is not that and you say you like that. Not very simple IMO. Not those rims anyway. Duke's is what you call clean and simple. The rims are stylish. Not alot of chrome on his car. Don't get me wrong there nothing wrong with chrome though. Its just that chrome asks for attention, hence not simple. Then you go on and say 22s aren't attractive on the front of an XF but the same car you like has 22s on the front. I understand your passion for the XF and that's great but it's like you are trying to convince him that he's done something wrong with his car. And according to the poll, about 65% of us like his car.

LOL, The poll means nothing to me. Not everyone has taste, obviously. Yes, I do like the Blue XF I posted, however, not for myself as I stated. It's one of those things where you like it on someone else, but not necessarily for yourself. I've seen quite a few XF's with 22's and none of them looked right IMO. 22's is suppose to give a car a pop, and it doesn't do that for the XF. If you're going to do custom wheels on an XF, it has to be right. Maybe a stag would work. The front end on an XF is to sleek for the oversize 22 in the front. That's basic car design concepts. Go to any auto show and you will learn that. It's the same reason why a charger, or 300c on 22s would look better than a Mustang or Camaro. Mustang has a sleek front end, and the Camaro has a sleek design.

On a personal note, no way would I go out and pay for an XF SC, and put over-sized wheels on a sleek front end. No way would I buy a car with a high performance engine, then put 22's on it. No way would I buy a beautiful luxury car, and comprise my ride and suspension system. On a Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, perhaps. But Supercharge XF? Never would I do that.

It reminds me of when some people would go buy a SRT8 charger, then put 22's or even 24's on it. Why buy that kind of speed, engine and suspension, only to compromise it? Makes zero sense.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not everyone has taste, obviously..........I've seen quite a few XF's with 22's and none of them looked right IMO.
Not everyone has YOUR taste. And that's good, that everyone is different don't you think? You've seen quite a few with 22's but you do like one, so at least one looks right IN YOUR OPINION. Just say that you don't like Duke's 22's instead saying 22's don't look right on an XF. I don't think he would mind.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:56 PM

Not everyone has YOUR taste. And that's good, that everyone is different don't you think? You've seen quite a few with 22's but you do like one, so at least one looks right IN YOUR OPINION. Just say that you don't like Duke's 22's instead saying 22's don't look right on an XF. I don't think he would mind.

Duke's car doesn't look bad at all.
I've seen a few XF's with 22's and I thought that it really took away from the car and looked less than Dukes version. With Duke's XF, I do feel he made a good wheel choice, but did it really enhance the look of the XF over the 20" Volans? For what he spent, was it worth it? 22's on a Jaguar XF simply doesn't pop-out at you like they do on other vehicles I've seen. I've seen some 22's on other cars and they really pop out and look nice! But not so much on the XF. Why? Because of the front-end, and IMO, the 20" Volans was perfect. Have you ever seen 22's on a mustang that looked really nice??
Ever seen 22's on a Corvette that looked nice?

There's a reason why Duke posted this tread. Obviously there's some doubt somewhere? If I have something that I know looks right, no need to post a online poll to see what others think. If Duke is 100% sure of his choice, then why post a poll to see what others think? Just saying....I'm willing to bet he's not 100% satisfied, but of course, he's not going to admit it.

Last edited by TheLegend; 06-12-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Even seen 22's on a Corvette that looked nice?

yes, I have. Although this vette is running 20/22. TC

Attached Thumbnails Do You Think My XF is Distasteful (aka Ghetto)?-22s-vette.jpg  

Last edited by tc1728; 06-12-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by tc1728
yes, I have. Although this vette is running 20/22. TC

Very nice!! The stag set-up compliments the sleek look. I like that.

But can u imagine 22's on the front end? No way!! 22's on the front would've took away the low-profile design on the front-end. However, as you noticed, the big wheel on the back falls into place with the big rear end of the car.

22's on the front of a Vette or XF takes away the low profile design IMO.

Last edited by TheLegend; 06-12-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:37 PM

This is a Vid of a staggered XF. By going 20 in the front, the low profile front end design of the car is still evident in the overall look of the car.

I'm not asking anyone to judge the vehicle or the wheels, or the paint, I'm just saying take note of the front end and how the wheel fits into the look of the car.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:42 PM

Look at this guys' XF. Look at how the 22" in the front completely kills the front ends low-profile design. Just doesn't fall into place IMO.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:38 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 779 Posts

no sarcasm!

Old 06-13-2012, 06:29 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Arctic Customs- 2011 Jaguar XFR Supercharged on 22" Forgiatos - YouTube

Look at this guys' XF. Look at how the 22" in the front completely kills the front ends low-profile design. Just doesn't fall into place IMO.
I have to admit I was skeptical, until I saw that white car pull into the lot. And now I agree, the staggered 20/22" wheels look much better in keeping with the low profile of the XF's front end. That said, I still like the OP's wheels, but agree.

My new XF has 19" wheels and I think that's big! I know the tires for that are expensive enough - can't imagine paying for 22" tires!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by guy
no sarcasm!

Lol, Thanks.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:15 AM

LOL, The poll means nothing to me. Not everyone has taste, obviously. Yes, I do like the Blue XF I posted, however, not for myself as I stated. It's one of those things where you like it on someone else, but not necessarily for yourself. I've seen quite a few XF's with 22's and none of them looked right IMO. 22's is suppose to give a car a pop, and it doesn't do that for the XF. If you're going to do custom wheels on an XF, it has to be right. Maybe a stag would work. The front end on an XF is to sleek for the oversize 22 in the front. That's basic car design concepts. Go to any auto show and you will learn that. It's the same reason why a charger, or 300c on 22s would look better than a Mustang or Camaro. Mustang has a sleek front end, and the Camaro has a sleek design.

On a personal note, no way would I go out and pay for an XF SC, and put over-sized wheels on a sleek front end. No way would I buy a car with a high performance engine, then put 22's on it. No way would I buy a beautiful luxury car, and comprise my ride and suspension system. On a Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, perhaps. But Supercharge XF? Never would I do that.

It reminds me of when some people would go buy a SRT8 charger, then put 22's or even 24's on it. Why buy that kind of speed, engine and suspension, only to compromise it? Makes zero sense.

Duke's car doesn't look bad at all. I've seen a few XF's with 22's and I thought that it really took away from the car and looked less than Dukes version. With Duke's XF, I do feel he made a good wheel choice, but did it really enhance the look of the XF over the 20" Volans? For what he spent, was it worth it? 22's on a Jaguar XF simply doesn't pop-out at you like they do on other vehicles I've seen. I've seen some 22's on other cars and they really pop out and look nice! But not so much on the XF. Why? Because of the front-end, and IMO, the 20" Volans was perfect. Have you ever seen 22's on a mustang that looked really nice??
Ever seen 22's on a Corvette that looked nice?

There's a reason why Duke posted this tread. Obviously there's some doubt somewhere? If I have something that I know looks right, no need to post a online poll to see what others think. If Duke is 100% sure of his choice, then why post a poll to see what others think? Just saying....I'm willing to bet he's not 100% satisfied, but of course, he's not going to admit it.
Ok Legend, I've really been trying to work with you (you know, "to each his own", "I respect your opinion", etc.) but the more you type the sillier you sound. First off, quit speculating as to why I started this thread back in February or whenever. I am 100% certain that my car looks amazing to my eyes, the only ones that count. I'd have no problem admitting if my car hadn't turned out as nice I'd hoped. It's just a car. If that was the case, I'd just get another set of rims. I can afford it. I've already told you why this thread was started, but to be more specific, it was a tongue-in-cheek response to a thread about "ghetto" looking cars that got a little testy. That thread was removed from this site by the moderators but I'm sure several members remember it. So, if you're going to bet on whether I'm satisfied with my XFs look, make sure it's something you can afford to lose. Ridiculous.

Everyone does have taste. Whether it's good taste or bad taste depends on who you ask. The fact that you posted that blue XF as your example of a good looking one, would suggest to a lot of people (including me) that your taste is questionable.

I think we get it. You don't like big wheels with "sleek" front ends.

On your personal notes - Fair to say there are things you might do with an XFSC that I wouldn't (eg, throw more chrome on it) and vice versa. Nothing wrong with that.

Are you familiar with the differences between a cast wheel and a forged wheel? Do you realize that a forged 22" generally weighs about the same as a cast 20" therefore minimizing any loss in acceleration, braking or gas mileage? My wheels are forged btw. The stock wheels are cast.

Most people with SRTs, AMGs, Ms, Rs or XFSCs for that matter never drive them anywhere near their perfomance limits. People buy them for various reasons but most don't do hot laps in them or take them to the dragstrip (and thankfully, most don't street race). So to the extent larger wheels degrade overall performance, it's hardly noticeable in daily driving (other than a stiffer ride). Also realize that if you put 24' wheels on a SRT Charger, maybe you'll have something that performs like a Charger RT. If you put them on a Charger RT, maybe you get SE performance. Seems reasonably logical to get the version with more power if you know you're gonna have extra weight to lug around and you still want some "get up and go." The big wheel look and high performance (for the street) aren't mutually exclusive. If it's track day, you'll probably want to go back to stock.

Last edited by duke_dallas; 06-13-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by duke_dallas
Ok Legend, I've really been trying to work with you (you know, "to each his own", "I respect your opinion", etc.) but the more you type the sillier you sound. First off, quit speculating as to why I started this thread back in February or whenever. I am 100% certain that my car looks amazing to my eyes, the only ones that count. I'd have no problem admitting if my car hadn't turned out as nice I'd hoped. It's just a car. If that was the case, I'd just get another set of rims. I can afford it. I've already told you why this thread was started, but to be more specific, it was a tongue-in-cheek response to a thread about "ghetto" looking cars that got a little testy. That thread was removed from this site by the moderators but I'm sure several members remember it. So, if you're going to bet on whether I'm satisfied with my XFs look, make sure it's something you can afford to lose. Ridiculous.

Everyone does have taste. Whether it's good taste or bad taste depends on who you ask. The fact that you posted that blue XF as your example of a good looking one, would suggest to a lot of people (including me) that your taste is questionable.

I think we get it. You don't like big wheels with "sleek" front ends.

On your personal notes - Fair to say there are things you might do with an XFSC that I wouldn't (eg, throw more chrome on it) and vice versa. Nothing wrong with that.

Are you familiar with the differences between a cast wheel and a forged wheel? Do you realize that a forged 22" generally weighs about the same as a cast 20" therefore minimizing any loss in acceleration, braking or gas mileage? My wheels are forged btw. The stock wheels are cast.

Most people with SRTs, AMGs, Ms, Rs or XFSCs for that matter never drive them anywhere near their perfomance limits. People buy them for various reasons but most don't do hot laps in them or take them to the dragstrip (and thankfully, most don't street race). So to the extent larger wheels degrade overall performance, it's hardly noticeable in daily driving (other than a stiffer ride). Also realize that if you put 24' wheels on a SRT Charger, maybe you'll have something that performs like a Charger RT. If you put them on a Charger RT, maybe you get SE performance. Seems reasonably logical to get the version with more power if you know you're gonna have extra weight to lug around and you still want some "get up and go." The big wheel look and high performance (for the street) aren't mutually exclusive. If it's track day, you'll probably want to go back to stock.
Sure, I'm well aware of what a cast wheel or forged wheel is. What's ur point in bringing that up? Forged or cast, still doesn't change the fact that you put a 22" wheel on a sleek front end. Go to any auto show and you will learn what you should do or shouldn't do. I go to auto shows all the time man; I posted two vids for you to see. The guy in the white XF looks silly IMO. He puts 22's on the back and front, totally changing the sleekness of the vehicle, then hops out the car like it looks right. LMAO. If you cannot see it in the video of how the bigger 22" wheel compromises the sleek intentions of the front-end, then you will never understand. But hey, do you. Ride around however you feel bro. It's your car, not mines. lol

"Also realize that if you put 24' wheels on a SRT Charger, maybe you'll have something that performs like a Charger RT. If you put them on a Charger RT, maybe you get SE performance."

That's not the only issue. More importantly, you are damaging your transmission and definitely the suspension. That is not my opinion, that is a fact.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 PM

I've been to enough auto shows. One of my takeaways has been that there's no one right way to customize a car. I'll definitely do me and I expect you'll continue to do you. I'll continue to thank those who like what I've done, and respect those have different opinions. I guess you'll continue to make yourself look silly by belaboring a point you've already made and I've already said "that's cool" or by speculating on what's going on in my head.

Ride around however you feel bro. It's your car, not mines. lol.
Damn, I could of sworn we made this point several posts ago, lol.

That's not the only issue. More importantly, you are damaging your transmission and definitely the suspension. That is not my opinion, that is a fact.
Absolutely a fact that heavier wheels lead to more wear and tear. First, bigger doesn't necessarily mean heavier. Second, I think most people know this but it often doesn't mean anything. This is the third car I've plus-sized. Haven't lost a tranny yet, lol.

Quick Reply: Do You Think My XF is Distasteful (aka Ghetto)?