XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Does the navigation upgrade the software as well as the maps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Does the navigation upgrade the software as well as the maps?

I have a 2010 model XF Premium. I am not sure what version of the navigation disk I have, but I purchased the car in August 2009. My question relates to whether an updated disk will update the software that computes, for example, the routing algorithms, or is it just a disk for map upgrades.

My problem is that the routing algorithms are pretty well useless in the area near where I live, suggesting routes that are double and treble the distance they should be when checked against a map or another portable unit. However I set the route options (major roads, toll roads etc.), I do not seem to be able to get sensible routes. We have experimented ad nauseam and I am reluctant to purchase a new disk if it does not improve this.

If I use a portable Garmin GPS and compare the route suggested by the built in navigation, the Garmin usually chooses a much better route which is both shorter and faster! BTW the built in navigation shows exactly the same roads as the Garmin, so the maps are not the issue, so far as I can see.

If anyone knows whether software upgrades come on a new disk, I would be grateful for any input. At the moment I would rather spend the money on a separate unit rather than buy a new disk for the built in navigation if all the new disk will give me is updated maps.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be very interested in knowing as well.

Maxxer

The following users liked this post:
michaeljc (01-23-2022)
Old 11-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You would be better with a Garmin unit over the long haul than bothering with the in dash thing. The Garmin gives you traffic warnings in real time. The in dash unit doesn't know what a traffic warning is. Speed limits are shown on the Garmin. The Jag unit only understands unrestricted roads in the Middle East. I stopped using my built in nav after about 2 months of ownership and parked the trusty and easily updatable Garmin on top of the dash and had it hard wired it into the fuse box. The Jag system frankly belongs more in the V&A than it does in a car.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The answer is....it depends. If the software has a problem, the most recent disc will update the firmware in the unit. However, most of the time the disc seems as if it is just a map update along with a new version of the points of interest, etc.

My impression is that the system is not designed for people who are intimately familiar with an area. Almost everyone I've talked to registers the same issues with their home area as you mention. It seems that the designers decided to produce routes that minimize road changes. I really can't explain it but I've had issues in the long haul that mirror yours just around town. While trying to drive home with a "least distance" routing, the navigation unit routed me more than a 100 miles out of the way...sort of the base and height of a triangle when the hypotenuse was the shortest route. Drove it again a couple months later and asked for the "time saving" route. Same result. Then, I drove the reverse of the route and it routed me correctly.

I wrote to Navteq about the mis-routing and never heard back. Heck, I wrote to them about my address being about a half-mile off and on the wrong side of the street. Same thing...no answer. My impression is that Navteq personnel just don't care about the customer.

Now your specific issue....I had version BH and upgraded to BJ and there was no update of the firmware. Only reason I did it is that I was able to find it on eBay for a very good price.

The following users liked this post:
whitbyxf (12-03-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

All,

Thank you for your input. Sounds as if I should just go with a Garmin if I want a functioning navigation system!!

It is rather sad that a car of this quality and, otherwise, excellent build and design should have such a poor system. The hardware appears to be sourced from Denso (a division of Toyota) but the software is, presumably, written by another team elsewhere.

Anyway I will not be bothering with a new disk/disc.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just thought that I'd add my 2 cents. I asked at the dealer when I bought my XF Premium about nav traffic and they looked at me like I had two heads. Bought the car anyway, am enjoying it to the fullest, except for the nav. I agree that it needs a serious software update.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

The Nav in these cars are major weak point... My Nav system in my 04 Max & 06 M45 was top notch for its time. It knew all the short cuts and the picture was better in any veiw you set it for, Plus it was voice activated. I miss that system. I was shocked the first time I used this system from dealership to my house. The thing sent me almost on the other side of the city to get home. I thought it was human error when I program it but since learned other wise. I should have known something was whacky because it took so long to change screens from one function to another. Oh.. well, I guess you can't have it all...

Old 11-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Let me say...

Around town, I just drive my route of choice. I'm comfortable and if I have 4-5 errands, I'm not going to bother programming it. I may turn it on to deal with sidestreet issues or alternate routes.

When I'm in a strange place, it's a godsend. I don't know if it save miles/time or costs miles/time. It gets me to where I need to go without a lot of fuss or worry from the right-seat.

Eric