XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Doing the big plastic replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,134 Likes on 708 Posts

You can look up "sidewinder" ratchet or rotator ratchet on Azamon. Either version you twist the handle, it drives a shaft and gear that spins the anvil. But because the engineers at Jaguar never conceived of the rear crossover tube having to be removed with the engine in-situ, they spec'd those damned torx headed screws. Besides being very fiddly to keep a small torx bit engaged when its in such a tight, inaccessible spot, another issue is that as you back them out, the ratchet head gets closer and closer to the firewall, eventually too close. If you don't have a very thin headed ratchet and/or a short torx bit, you won't have enough room to back it all the way out. If you can get the torx screws out, don't even try to put them back in. Going back together, I went to the hardware store and got some standard hex headed cap screws, no flanges or anything. That way I could use a standard socket and the hex head would just ride up further into the socket as the bolt was backed out. It was a lot less fiddly going back together and will certainly be easier on the next poor slob who owns it at the second ten year interval, time for the next "big plastic".

Old 10-28-2023, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hell yea

Originally Posted by pdupler
You can look up "sidewinder" ratchet or rotator ratchet on Azamon. Either version you twist the handle, it drives a shaft and gear that spins the anvil. But because the engineers at Jaguar never conceived of the rear crossover tube having to be removed with the engine in-situ, they spec'd those damned torx headed screws. Besides being very fiddly to keep a small torx bit engaged when its in such a tight, inaccessible spot, another issue is that as you back them out, the ratchet head gets closer and closer to the firewall, eventually too close. If you don't have a very thin headed ratchet and/or a short torx bit, you won't have enough room to back it all the way out. If you can get the torx screws out, don't even try to put them back in. Going back together, I went to the hardware store and got some standard hex headed cap screws, no flanges or anything. That way I could use a standard socket and the hex head would just ride up further into the socket as the bolt was backed out. It was a lot less fiddly going back together and will certainly be easier on the next poor slob who owns it at the second ten year interval, time for the next "big plastic".
​​​​​​
I put the same ones back in I bought the smallest ratchet and shortex torx 30 I could find took me a while but I go it and been driving the car. No leaks baby!!! So many plastic hoses and bs . Dumb engineers.. who does that🤣 glad it's done with the forums help thank u guys this Jaguar forum is the shiiii.

Old 10-29-2023, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by GabrielXJ308
What was the ratchet that you used
Both of these should be in your toolbox, not just for these coolant pipes.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Old 11-02-2023, 03:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you replace the hose under the intake manifold. If yes - How did that go?

Old 11-03-2023, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by nsl1
Did you replace the hose under the intake manifold. If yes - How did that go?
Are you talking about the plastic pipe between the water pump and the engine oil heat exchanger? If so, that's easy once you take off the water pump, especially while you have the intake off. The rubber hose is easy too, but less of a concern than the plastic pieces.

Old 05-15-2024, 10:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is definitely an opportunity here - especially at the date of this post. I have performed this on my 2012 XF 5.0 and this post was invaluable!

Thank you for the original post! Follow his lead to the T.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does this writeup also apply to the 4.2 NA engine?