XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Door rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door rattle

Hello All...

I have a 2012 Portfolio Sport and there is a bad rattle coming from the drivers door. It seems like the door panel. Any ideas? I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow but I wanted to check with the group to see if anyone had experienced the same issue. It is always good to be able to give the techs some suggestions. Thanks

Old 03-23-2012, 06:03 AM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I have have the same thing. I've had it fixed once, but now it is back with a vengeance. I have a 2010 Jaguar XFR. It is not the door panel, as much as I think it is the seals around the window. If you just toggle the window down just a little bit do you still hear it?

Old 03-23-2012, 11:40 AM

The car is at the dealer now. The first time they replaced the window seals. Now they say it is the door seals. Getting replaced now. We'll see. I will check the window thing if the sound is still there.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Okay, let me know what happens because I have the same thing and it's driving me crazy. Incidentally, I just went to the car wash, and it is much more reasonable now. I definitely think it's the seals. This doesn't surprise me since the sunroof seal situation is absolutely dreadful.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:32 PM

Interesting. I will keep you posted. They had to order the seals. The car won't be ready until Monday.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:20 PM
vs2
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hard to differentiate the different noises when on a bumpy road, but I lubed all of the door seals and problem fixed for me. I notice that i have to close the doors quite hard and Jaguar have probably done this to ensure solid sealing and a quiet ride. I'm sure a lot of the noises are seals on seals.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:39 AM

@vs2. What do you use to lubricate your seals? I've had bad experiences with lubricants.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:57 PM
vs2

I use Ultima tire and trim guard. I only use Ultima and Adams products.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:06 PM

@vs2
Thanks!

Old 03-26-2012, 01:48 PM

The replacement door seals seemed to do the trick. No more door squeaks and rattles. Hopefully it will last. Thanks for the posts.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
Okay, let me know what happens because I have the same thing and it's driving me crazy. Incidentally, I just went to the car wash, and it is much more reasonable now. I definitely think it's the seals. This doesn't surprise me since the sunroof seal situation is absolutely dreadful.
I have the same thing on my 2010 XFR as well but it sounds like it was coming from the rear passenger door area. It also only rattles when i hit a decent bump. Little bumps don't effect it. My headliner rattle was fixed 4 months ago which is good but now this..........oh well, I still ove the car and I have a 6/100k mile warranty on it......thank god!

Old 04-02-2012, 05:26 PM

I hear you. Love the car but really hate the rattles. Mine are back but not as bad as before. I guess I just have to live with it.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd try some silicone spray on the seals and see if that helps any.......some cars have it in the manual to spay/wipe the seals with it to extend life. I've done it on all my cars and have had success.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 PM

Unfortunately my window and door creaks are back. They were replaced about a month ago and everything was fine but now they have returned. I have made too many trips to the service department and have lost confidence in their ability to fix the issue. Is it the general consensus of forum to try lubricating all the seals with silicone? I'm desperate. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:41 AM
vs2

My door creaks are back again. I have a driveway with different levels (front of car on one level and rear of car on another) and driving slow the creaks are there. To be sure I isolated the problem simply by leaving the door ajar...no creaks. Is it simply a design fault and there it too much movement between the door hinges and door latch from chassis twist.

So what do we do to fix this ourselves? Silicone works temporarily and its BS we should even have to do this. My guess is we will have to live with it unless Jaguar come up with a new seal design.

What is a good greasy product that will stick and last longer than silicone (vaseline?)

Old 04-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Default Door Rattle - @ VS2

@VS2

Check out the post today on "Brand New Jag XF 2.2" from Jaguar XF Black. They are having the same issue and he indicated that his service department is planning to adjust his doors to fix the issue. I'm curious to see the results. Maybe it is a bigger issue than the seals.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2012 with creaks from the sunroof and doors. They lubricated them once and a month or so later, the creaking came back. I took my car back again and the lubricated the seals again. I am expecting the noise to come back again. I am wondering of they changed to a new provider for the seals in 2012.

We should start a thread for creaking doors so we don't hijack this thread. These noises are not rattles which is different than the OPs post.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have had the same problem as well on my 4 week old car back to the dealer 4 times now.
what they have come up with after lubricating, they will take the car to the panel beaters to adjust the doors ,apparantly as the doors close it puts pressure on the seals as the body twists the car creaks if not adjusted properly...
i am waiting for the service dep to get back to me to book a date i will update if that is a fix.

The following users liked this post:
edobernig (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguar xf black
i have had the same problem as well on my 4 week old car back to the dealer 4 times now.
what they have come up with after lubricating, they will take the car to the panel beaters to adjust the doors ,apparantly as the doors close it puts pressure on the seals as the body twists the car creaks if not adjusted properly...
i am waiting for the service dep to get back to me to book a date i will update if that is a fix.
This is why I think this may be a 2012 problem.

I don't recall seeing many posts complaining on the pre 2012 models.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just my luck ........
wouldnt the older model cars have the same doors and seals???
its just a facelift really on the 2012 model
dont know
may the 8th car is going in hopefully comes back in one piece and no scratches.

Quick Reply: Door rattle