XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Door rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS8Y
Sorry to clarify, I meant to say is it the door seal that goes round the door, OR the strip that runs along the top of the door.
The dealer that did the work on seals is in Charlotte, NC at Scott Jaguar. I have had two different seals replaced on the car. They first replaced the inside door seals which did NOT work. They then replaced the upper door seals which have worked thus far. To be sure you can call my service department. They know all about 2012 XF seals. Here is the number (704) 527-7000. Good luck.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:32 PM

More than 3 weeks after the dealer installed the new seals and not a single rattle from any of the doors. It seems Jaguar found the fix to this annoying problem.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:31 AM

It would seem from yourself and Brazz that the new seals seem to cure the issue. Having spoken with Brazz's dealer they didn't readily know which part no's for the new seals. Could you pass me details of your dealer to see if they can be of assistance.
Many thanks
Keith

Old 07-23-2012, 07:32 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Not surprising dealers are having difficulty identifying the correct seal. Here's the diagram from the Parts Manual:

Jaguar XF - Door Seals.pdf

Items 1 and 2 - described as Insulators
Items 3, 4 & 6 - described as Door Seals
Item 5 - described as Aperture Seal

Items 3 and 4 can reasonably be seen as the front and rear perimeter door seals but Item 6 is a secondary seal for the top and leading edge of the front door.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 07-24-2012 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:29 AM

My dealer is Park Place Jaguar in Dallas Texas. Make sure you contact the Dallas service center and not the one located in Plano TX. Ask for Brian.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:23 AM

Mine is having the same issue. Checked with the dealer and they told me the warranty may or may not cover it. If it is some parts that is loose then they said it will be covered but if it is something else then it won't be covered. I thought the warranty is 50k or 4 years bumper to bumper. Mine has around 46k miles. Service manager told me the warranty for that kinda problem is only 12 months. Is that correct? Confused.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:38 AM

I spoke way too soon. The door rattle has returned just as bad as it was before the new door seals were installed. I've asked Jaguar to replace the car under Texas Lemon Laws.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:02 PM

@ JaguarUptown
Wow!!! I hear you. The noise was driving me crazy. Fortunately, mine is gone....mostly. I still hear some noise from one of the rear doors but it is not bad and not in my direct ear (driver's door). I was one more trip away from the dealer in putting the car on Autotrader.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:50 PM

Having spoken with Brazz's dealer it would seem the offending seal is the part that runs along the very top of the inside of the door, located adjacent to the bright work strip on the top of the door, but on the inner edge. I applied washing up liquid to the area, and the noise has gone. My dealer was making contact with dealer technical support regarding replacing these parts.
However it may be that regular lubrication with a non silicone based product may be the only solution. Doubtlessly the warmer U.S weather is worsening the issue, which is still relatively unknown in the U.K.
It may be worth trying some lubrication in the area I mentioned, rather than rejecting the car which would be a very long process possibly without success.
Regards
Keith

Old 08-11-2012, 03:52 PM

Sorry further to my last post, it was in fact Jaguaruptown's dealer that pointed me in the direction of the seals I previously mentioned.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:24 PM

Well it looks like we were all WAY off. The problem is NOT with the door seals. It is a design flaw that only pops up when a silicone lubricant is used to clean the existing door seals. Think Armor All and any other product that makes leather, rubber, vinyl, etc. shiny. I took my car back to Park Place today because the noise kept getting worse. My salesman drove the car and was amazed how loud it was. He used "Technician's Choice Work Horse" cleaner (in a black can) and wiped down all of the door seals. Problem solved. Door rattles gone. No need to replace door seals or have the doors rehung. Don't let the car wash guys use any type of detail product around the door seals or the interior edges of the doors. If the doors begin to rattle or squeak, use a product like Work Horse.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:40 PM

By the way, and completely off at a tangent . I had a very interesting conversation with Bryon the technician at Jaguaruptowns dealer in Dallas concerning the shocking killings at the cinema in the U.S. He explained it was perfectly normal to carry a gun in your car etc, also brought to light a few years ago by the Sandra Bullock character in the film Blindside. In Britain its all but illegal to be in possession of anything that could be construed as a weapon, and apart from a handful of specially trained officers the only thing the Police here carry is a stick. I know that is probably very contentious, and nothing to do with the forum, so apologies in advance, but perhaps less guns might be something worth thinking about. As I say apologies but just a thought.
Regards
Keith

Old 08-12-2012, 12:39 PM

You can blame the British for that issue. The "right to bear arms" is the Second Amendment of the US Constitution and is a result of the Revolutionary War. In the state of Texas guns were necessary to fight the Mexican Army in the 1800's. Since we are no longer at risk of being invaded by a foreign country Americans have unfortunately turned their guns and their attention to each other.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,600 Likes on 8,688 Posts

Most all states that allow citizens to legally carry have lower crime rates than those who do not. Look at Chicago with their high murder rate where it's against the law to carry. Would you try to mug someone who might be carrying ???

Old 08-13-2012, 09:36 AM

I assume that many people in Chicago carry a gun regardless. If I had to choose between the two, I'd always prefer a Supercharged XF to save me from gun fire over an actual gun.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:44 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarUptown
Well it looks like we were all WAY off. The problem is NOT with the door seals. It is a design flaw that only pops up when a silicone lubricant is used to clean the existing door seals. Think Armor All and any other product that makes leather, rubber, vinyl, etc. shiny. I took my car back to Park Place today because the noise kept getting worse. My salesman drove the car and was amazed how loud it was. He used "Technician's Choice Work Horse" cleaner (in a black can) and wiped down all of the door seals. Problem solved. Door rattles gone. No need to replace door seals or have the doors rehung. Don't let the car wash guys use any type of detail product around the door seals or the interior edges of the doors. If the doors begin to rattle or squeak, use a product like Work Horse.
Anybody got any idea where we can buy this, or what equivalent is available at Autozone, OReilly, or Advance Auto?

Old 04-01-2013, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Escolar
Anybody got any idea where we can buy this, or what equivalent is available at Autozone, OReilly, or Advance Auto?
Workhorse TEC99410

CRS

Attached Images  

Last edited by hlgeorge; 04-01-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:17 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Workhorse TEC99410

CRS
Thanks for trying. Both vendors are apparently for dealers/shops only. WAS wants me to input an existing customer number, even as I create a new online account. CRS took all my info for a new account and gave a message saying they'll contact me when my account is approved. I'll let you know what comes of that.

Really would prefer to find an equivalent retail product. http://www.technicianschoice.net/pro...ByID.asp?ID=34
Not much to go by.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Yeah, I did notice in my search that they seem to sell to "shops" only. I did find one place that sold them per can, but they were out of stock. Maybe the dealer would sell you one.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 AM

Contact your Jaguar dealer and tell them that you need a can of it. They will either have it in stock and give it to you or they will order it. The Jaguar showroom and service department are 5 miles apart in Dallas but even the showroom had several cans of it. Probably any type of degreaser will work. What has happened is your door seals had a lubricant wiped on them during a detailing or car wash. You could probably even just try wiping them down thoroughly with a dry rag.

Quick Reply: Door rattle