XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

door rattles 2010 xfr

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 05:45 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default door rattles 2010 xfr

Hello Jaguar lovers I wonder if someone can tell me if they have that annoying rattle in the door on their 2010 xfr I hear it is a common problem the dealer was telling me it's kind of some cables that are loose I guess they need to be wire tied or something but they want to charge me $1,700 to open the door and take care of this issue if anyone knows an easier Solution please let me know and if there is a place I could get parts cheaper than a dealer that would help also I need an under engine splash guard they want to charge me $2,000 for that let me know if anyone can help it would really be appreciated thank you

Old 02-18-2020, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,263 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Several possible causes of the rattle but the most common one is two window cables rattling against each other where the foam insulation around them has dissolved away over time.
Removing the door card is child's play and then if it is the window cables you can wrap/insulate them with your material of choice.
See this thread on the Pommy XF forum for everything you ever wanted to know about removing the door card and fixing rattles: https://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.p...-xf-door-cards
The under-tray / splash guard is an easy DIY install, I have removed and refitted it dozens of times when doing oil changes. Just lots of bolts and screws so it's a bit tedious. The hard part is finding the guard at a decent price, used ones come up on Fleabay from time to time.
Even a new one is not that expensive, $259.90 US from Reno Jag for example, see here: https://parts.jaguarreno.com/v-2010-...rtition-panels
(I am assuming it is part #1 on the diagram - "center shield" - you are talking about).
The only complication is you may be missing some of the mounting bolts or screws (but they are all shown on the linked diagram) and worst of all one or more of the mounting points may be broken.
The prices the dealer is quoting you are pure extortion, I would run away from that dealer as fast as I could.

Edit - here's another page on the Pommy XF forum showing in more detail the fix for the rattling window cables: https://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.p...9273#post19273

Last edited by OzXFR; 02-18-2020 at 06:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
davetibbs (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 06:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default thanks

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Several possible causes of the rattle but the most common one is two window cables rattling against each other where the foam insulation around them has dissolved away over time.
Removing the door card is child's play and then if it is the window cables you can wrap/insulate them with your material of choice.
See this thread on the Pommy XF forum for everything you ever wanted to know about removing the door card and fixing rattles: https://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.p...-xf-door-cards
The under-tray / splash guard is an easy DIY install, I have removed and refitted it dozens of times when doing oil changes. Just lots of bolts and screws so it's a bit tedious. The hard part is finding the guard at a decent price, used ones come up on Fleabay from time to time.
Even a new one is not that expensive, $259.90 US from Reno Jag for example, see here: https://parts.jaguarreno.com/v-2010-...rtition-panels
(I am assuming it is part #1 on the diagram - "center shield" - you are talking about).
The only complication is you may be missing some of the mounting bolts or screws (but they are all shown on the linked diagram) and worst of all one or more of the mounting points may be broken.
The prices the dealer is quoting you are pure extortion, I would run away from that dealer as fast as I could.

Edit - here's another page on the Pommy XF forum showing in more detail the fix for the rattling window cables: https://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.p...9273#post19273
thank u. very helpful

Old 02-18-2020, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Pommy XF forum
As a Brit (now living in the US, with a brother now an Aussie citizen in Brisbane) I love it every time I read this

Old 02-19-2020, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,263 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by davetibbs
As a Brit (now living in the US, with a brother now an Aussie citizen in Brisbane) I love it every time I read this
Now that you are an honorary Yank maybe you can answer a question for me.
What do the Yanks call a Pommy?
Is is just boring old "Brit" or is it something a little more amusing?

Old 02-19-2020, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Now that you are an honorary Yank maybe you can answer a question for me.
What do the Yanks call a Pommy?
Is is just boring old "Brit" or is it something a little more amusing?
Now, really, just boring old "Brit". But the direct equivalent of "Pommy" is "Limey", though I doubt it's really been used for a while.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:39 AM
les
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Limey is what the Yank Military usually call us Brits.