XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Drivers Air vent / flap stopped opening

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,128 Likes on 733 Posts
Default Drivers Air vent / flap stopped opening

I have a 2013 XF Sportbrake with the turned alloy dash. Last week when I turned on the A/C the three left hand flaps ie two centre and passengers vents (UK) all opened as normal but the vent on the drivers side to the right of the steering wheel remained closed. By pushing it with my finger it would move and allow me to open and close it manually. I cannot feel any resistance to a motor drive or broken cogs and I am not entirely sure how the vent is opened and closed. Is it that the magic has just run out?

Has anyone else had a vent stop working and if so how is it repaired and how is it stripped out to check the mechanism please?

Old 08-24-2021, 03:55 PM
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I"ve seen a repair video on that issue think it was on UTUBE but it is documented and there are parts available to fix ,also many on EBay for sale

Old 08-24-2021, 04:06 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Part number C2Z31321

Old 09-01-2021, 05:55 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Potentially the vent motor can fail, but since you can move it easily with your hand its probably the little plastic clutch/clip thing and the motor isn't engaging with the vent.

I had exactly the same vent fail on mine in the same way, the part and video @xfportfolio posted is how I fixed it.

Old 09-01-2021, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Guys. Watched the video and it looks fairly straight forward so will order up the parts and get it repaired. Thanks again.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

Bought a second hand vent of Ebay complete. Swapped out the motor from the old part to the second hand one and all is well. A bit fiddly taking the facias off as you feel as if you are going to snap something but with a couple of plastic pry bars it all came apart as per the video. My problem was exactly the same as the video. Part of the ring had a crack in it meaning a small tag was popping out of place and although the motor was turning this plastic ring was not engaging. Crap design. Plastic ring costs a fraction of a penny but a sturdier alloy ring would have been better and just a fraction of a pence more to make. I hate to think in the future when spare parts are no longer made how you would repair this. This is why modern cars are very unlikely to become "Classic Cars". All these little breakable parts, electric motors and sensors that will not longer be available in ten years time. I can get every part I want for my 1968 S type Jaguar even if the original part is not available there is always an alternative part being made.

Old 10-26-2021, 11:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the OP got to the bottom of his problem, and fix his problem, I'll jump in....

The driver side vent (outter right, RHD car) was closing but not opening... After a bit of googling, got to learn about the the circular white ring that could break. It was indeed broke, replaced it with new one, but problem still remained.
So i bought a second hand dash air vent unit on Ebay just to get a step motor...I swapped the motors, but problem still remained...

Any idea before i buy another step motor again?

The other 3 vents operate fine.

Old 10-26-2021, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

Could be an electrical fault. When you turn the A/C on obviously a switch sends power to the motor and the vent opens. The same must happen when you turn it off a small current via a switch operates the motor and closes the vent as it is not on a spring return if you get my drift.
If yours closes but does not open try checking the wiring connector block leading to the motor as it has been known for one of the terminals to be pushed out of line when trying to get the blocks together. Other than this possibly a break in the wires. You would have to run some continuity checks to find this though. It might help to dismantle the passengers side vent and to plug the drivers side vent into the passengers side wiring to see if it opens and closes correctly. If it works correctly the fault is behind the wiring block to the main harness on the drivers side. If it does not work then the fault is from the block to the motor but as you have swapped motors you should find this side is working fine.

Old 04-30-2023, 03:54 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

OLd thread I know but was looking for pointers since mine broke. For the above check to be sure the vent motor is indexed correctly (this is something that can happen with any servo.

Plug in the motor and close all the vents. Then when you fit the motor make sure the vent and locking ring are correct for the closed postion. That might mean to look at the ring set up before disassembling.

Old 09-21-2023, 04:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever find a fix for this. I’m having a similar problem with my ‘14 LHD XF (gas model) where the right passenger register wasn’t closing. I fixed the plastic clutch ring and plugged everything back in. Only to find the problem has now reversed - this RH register works open and close fine - but the other 3 won’t budge and always remain open. Any guidance on this?