XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Drivers door handle frozen

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,098 Likes on 713 Posts
Default Drivers door handle frozen

Does anyone else suffer from this on a cold frosty morning.

I have had a 2013 XF Sportbrake for two years so this is my second winter. This happened a couple of times last year and again today when the car is covered in frost. Central locking opens the locks but when I pull the handle up although the door opens the lock remains frozen in the open position which means you cannot close the door on to its latch. The handle lifts up and down but does not seem to be connected to the door lock. If you leave it long enough or tip some warm water on to the door around the handle it eventually frees the mechanism up, the door handle is once more attached to the lock and you can close the door.
Not taken anything apart yet but I am assuming the lock mech is freezing, possibly needs stripping cleaning and regreasing.

If you have suffered from this and know a solution I would appreciate it.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Following. I have the same problem

Old 01-11-2021, 08:29 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts
Old 01-11-2021, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for that info. Most of the problems listed there tend to be electrical ie Door is frozen so windows, mirrors, locks etc don't work. Mine is purely the door latch which freezes in the open position after lifting the handle so the door will not close on the latch. I think this topic is closer to my problem and solution. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...yndrom-134753/ It is under XK/XKR but seems to be the same.
Some silicon grease spray seems to be the solution so will have to get some and try it out. Question is will it work by spraying from the outside or am I going to have to take the door apart to get to the bit that needs lubricating?

Old 01-11-2021, 09:42 AM
guy
Veteran Member

I like your cars in the stable.
haven’t had the need to take these apart in modern cars. I shot of brake clean then graphite / teflon lubricant in the door mechanisms is all I’ve needed. Ditto for the handles.

Old 01-11-2021, 01:21 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Right or wrong, I would have the freezing issue all the time (Problem washing vehicles when it is -25C or colder), yes we have the blower fans on exit of the no-touch car washes but you have a 50/50 chance there will be no freezing issues unless your able to get the vehicle in the heated garage to dry. I keep in my arsenals lock de-icer (Or rubbing alcohol 80% or more) and dry graphite spray with a wipe rag.

When I remember, I would close the doors to the first locking position and drive around for a few minutes before completely closing the doors. This allows any water to freeze and then break off versus freeze locking in place. Otherwise I must use the alcohol to remove the water and re-lubricate the mechanism.

So far I have not had any issues except the first time this happened with my Porsche 911 (Why I took it out in the winter to wash, I'm not sure) but when I parked it back in the garage, My door was frozen, the windows were frozen and I could not take off the targa top. I had to sit in shame for at least 5 minute pretending to listen to music and wiping down the interior so the wife did learn how stupid I was... didn't work, she knew and I get reminded about it every now and again....

Old 01-12-2021, 06:50 AM
guy
Veteran Member

Clearly we are of the same mind. my cars like to be clean in all weather too, lol.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WD-40 is a degreaser and organic solvent that is widely used. It's made composed of alcohol-based components that keep moisture out of whatever you use it on. Frozen door locks can be avoided by using WD40. Once or twice a week, a tiny amount of WD-40 should be sprayed directly on the lock.

Old 01-21-2023, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cass3958
Does anyone else suffer from this on a cold frosty morning.

I have had a 2013 XF Sportbrake for two years so this is my second winter. This happened a couple of times last year and again today when the car is covered in frost. Central locking opens the locks but when I pull the handle up although the door opens the lock remains frozen in the open position which means you cannot close the door on to its latch. The handle lifts up and down but does not seem to be connected to the door lock. If you leave it long enough or tip some warm water on to the door around the handle it eventually frees the mechanism up, the door handle is once more attached to the lock and you can close the door.
Not taken anything apart yet but I am assuming the lock mech is freezing, possibly needs stripping cleaning and regreasing.

If you have suffered from this and know a solution I would appreciate it.
I have had F-Types for five years and the problem is consistent. Whenever the car experiences freezing conditions the drivers door will not close after opening. It bounces back open. No amount of WD40, pre-warming of the car, solves the problem, and it happens every time.

About 30-60 mins after starting a drive I will return to normal.

Ideas Jaguar?

Old 01-21-2023, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Even though I first posted this in 2019 no one has come up with a solution or even a reason why this happens. Yesterday deep frost and it happened again to my wife in the XF. I am going to have to take the door card off I think to get at the Mechanism and clean and regrease the area as spraying anything from the outside does not help. I think the bit that is freezing and stopping the door from closing is deep behind the door skin and not reachable from the outside with WD40.