XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Drivers' Side Map Light Turning on by Itself

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 11:54 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Drivers' Side Map Light Turning on by Itself

I seem to have a ghost in my car that is turning on my drivers' side map light all of a sudden. This happened about 6-8 times during a 4 mile drive home last night and never before in six years of owning this car. Each time, I touched the lamp to turn it off. It seems to turn on mainly when I take a turn (either left or right) and sometimes when I brake.

I'm taking the car to the dealer in a couple of weeks for annual maintenance and the TPMS issue, but I'd like to find out if other have had this issue and what the solution was.

Thanks.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Drivers' Side Map Light Turning on by Itself

It's a known issue and they replace the board in the light or the light itself. Mine was done under warranty.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Yes, very common issue.
Many have fixed it by replacing the stock globes with LEDs, me included.
As an added bonus the bright white light from the LEDs is much better than the sickly yellow from the stock globes, well IMHO anyway!

Old 06-29-2015, 02:47 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks. Looks like the dealer will be able to fix it easily. The timing works out well since my Geico warranty has a single $250 deductible for each visit rather than for each separate item or problem that is fixed.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:43 PM
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yes, very common issue.
Many have fixed it by replacing the stock globes with LEDs, me included.
As an added bonus the bright white light from the LEDs is much better than the sickly yellow from the stock globes, well IMHO anyway!
Curious ..why will just swapping with LEds will address the issue? Also do we have the part number of the replacements?
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gpalace
Curious ..why will just swapping with LEds will address the issue? Also do we have the part number of the replacements?
Thanks in advance.
I don't know why it worked for me, it could be that simply changing the globes created a better connection.
Heaps of suitable SMD LED globes out there, just look on eBay for T10 LEDs.
Replacement is very easy, lever the console down (use a screwdriver to open a gap in the side of the console near the back edge, then pull down with your fingers, it's tight so be careful!), unclip the wiring plug, twist the globe holders out, replace the globes, put the holders back in. Plug the wiring connector back in and test before you push the console back into place (the whole thing will hang from the wiring connector without any problems), if any of the lights don't work take the globe out again and turn it around 180 degrees and test again.
After doing this you will need to reset the auto lights on function (so they turn on when you open a door), just wave/hold/press the centre light switch for 3 to 4 seconds until it flashes twice.

The following users liked this post:
Gpalace (06-30-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

HERE'S AN FYI.......

My 2009 XF's map light started turning itself on, so I took it back the dealer, unfortunately it wasn't covered by the warranty, as the car is now 6 years old.

Nonetheless, the part was $27.50, and they charged $57.50 (1/2 hour) for the labor, for a grand total of $85.00 + tax, which wasn't TOO bad. I thought I read in a couple of other discussions that the dealers were replacing the entire console assemblies, at a cost of around $800!!

FOR THE DIYers......the part number for the replacement pad is.....C2D38636

Gpalace (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
HERE'S AN FYI.......

My 2009 XF's map light started turning itself on, so I took it back the dealer, unfortunately it wasn't covered by the warranty, as the car is now 6 years old.

Nonetheless, the part was $27.50, and they charged $57.50 (1/2 hour) for the labor, for a grand total of $85.00 + tax, which wasn't TOO bad. I thought I read in a couple of other discussions that the dealers were replacing the entire console assemblies, at a cost of around $800!!

Having Same issue....what is the actual part? wondering if I can drop the console i can plug and play replace.....cant locate a pic of the actual part.

Thanks.

FOR THE DIYers......the part number for the replacement pad is.....C2D38636
What is that actual part? I can't locate a pic of it. Wondering if I lower the console ...it will be plug and play ?

Thanks

Old 09-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Most of the shop techs don't like people looking over their shoulders, so I didn't get too close. Secondly, a friend of mine from the sales department wandered in, and got me involved in a conversation, so I lost track of how this part is actually changed out.

However, the tech had the car near his work bay, and had removed the upper console from the car, before I realized he was even working on it. I then saw him using a small pair of needle-nosed pliers, to remove the power plug from what I assume, is the circuit board that goes bad. That was the point my friend appeared, and I stopped watching the operation.

I can't be all that complicated, though, as he was done within another 6-8 minutes.....I did see the tech walking away from his workbench with an envelope that bulged slightly, and I'm pretty sure that it was the bad part from my car. I'm thinking a small circuit board, although the parts callout calls it a "pad".....

Gpalace (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Most of the shop techs don't like people looking over their shoulders, so I didn't get too close. Secondly, a friend of mine from the sales department wandered in, and got me involved in a conversation, so I lost track of how this part is actually changed out.

However, the tech had the car near his work bay, and had removed the upper console from the car, before I realized he was even working on it. I then saw him using a small pair of needle-nosed pliers, to remove the power plug from what I assume, is the circuit board that goes bad. That was the point my friend appeared, and I stopped watching the operation.

I can't be all that complicated, though, as he was done within another 6-8 minutes.....I did see the tech walking away from his workbench with an envelope that bulged slightly, and I'm pretty sure that it was the bad part from my car. I'm thinking a small circuit board, although the parts callout calls it a "pad".....
Ok many thanks....i'll track it down...not sure if ill replace the pad/board or try LEDS first....appreciate it.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:25 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 09-17-2015, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, they will work.
The only potential problem is they might be just a tiny bit wide to fit through the bulb holder holes.
These are the ones I have used (or very close to it): 10 x T10 168 194 W5W White 28 SMD LED Wedge Light Bulb Lamp 12V for Car RV Light | eBay
A bit cheaper than the ones you linked to, and if they don't quite fit you simply file down the edges of the chips a little bit until they do.

Thor82 (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

When mine started acting up (both driver and passenger side) they ended up replacing the entire console under warranty. That actually did away with the parking sensor button, much to my wife's chagrin...

Old 09-18-2015, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by FastCat2011
When mine started acting up (both driver and passenger side) they ended up replacing the entire console under warranty. That actually did away with the parking sensor button, much to my wife's chagrin...
They replaced it with the wrong OH console. I would make them get the correct one!