XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Duplicate key programming- Can it mess up the S/W

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Duplicate key programming- Can it mess up the S/W

I have only 1 key for my 2012 XF. Thought its a good idea to have a spare key. Read thru most of the posts on this topic.

Called around locally to get a price. Not so many folks would do Jaguar stuff....some of the said its difficult to do Jags die to software , it can immobilize the car etc.

As expected got a high quote from dealer of $770 ($550 for key fob and Programming ) + $220 or cutting the key blade.

One of the local key shops with decent reviews told me that he could do it for $250 including the OEM type key fob+ programming + cutting the keys.

I am not too familiar with this programming. Any chance of cars software getting corrupted etc while programming the keys?
If something happens, my only option will be to tow the car to the dealer.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Folks, Anyone knows how programming of key fobs are done or chances of it messing up anything on the car ? Thanks

Old 08-19-2017, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Any time you're messing with software there is a chance something can go amiss and at the end of the day that's why you're paying big bucks to the dealer - if they screw up, they get it fixed up.

The key programming on these through the official dealer SDD software requires all keys to be present - those not there will be eliminated from the active ones able to start the car. It's done by plugging into the OBD port on your car and running a key programming routine on the software that essentially disables all the keys and then adds them back one at a time. You can see if you fail at the disable all point, then you may be in trouble.

I suspect the locksmith has equipment to clone your existing key such that the car still only believes there is ONE key. With some cars that use this to automatically reset seat and mirror memory for example that would be inconvenient because each of the keys only has one set of settings. But for the Jag that's not a feature anyway. If he's not actually plugging anything into your car you should be okay. These are usually done with a stand alone gizmo that reads the current key through RF and uses that snapshot data to program the new key. Reading the current key should not cause it to become useless.

The worst case scenario would probably be he can't clone it and the "new" key doesn't work.