XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

DVD based Navi VS HDD based NAVI

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD based Navi VS HDD based NAVI

I'll be buying an XFR probably 5 mins after getting home from Afghanistan, I have been doing quite alot of reading but i can't really seem to find the answer i'm looking for in regards to the Navi

I know for the 12's the cars were moved to HDD's but the reviews i read still had bad things about it being slow and etc...

My question is paying the premuim for an 2012 to have the HDD and the minor body changes worth it..or there no visual difference bwt a 2011 navi and 2012

The only reason i've even covering this topic is b/c my wife will RARELY drive it and so has the directional skills of ________< insert joke.. MY 2008 touareg had DVD based navi which sucked ******** BUT i was able to remove and upgrade

any feedback is welcome

Thanks guys

Old 12-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in a similar dilemma a month back. I ended up picking up a 2012 XFR because of the body changes and HDD Navigation system. No complaints. I think it was worth the extra money. Love the LEDS and the new body style aggressive look.

The 2012 Navigation screen is also visually different.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rup Sujlana
I was in a similar dilemma a month back. I ended up picking up a 2012 XFR because of the body changes and HDD Navigation system. No complaints. I think it was worth the extra money. Love the LEDS and the new body style aggressive look.

The 2012 Navigation screen is also visually different.
yea the LED's dont really do it for me, its like touchscreens for phones, since the Iphone now everyone is doing it .but they are nicely done.. i am very picky with audio and it seems the 2012 is the best of both worlds..new body style, updated navi with the B&W

Old 12-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

as an owner of a previous DVD based navi and owner of a current HDD based navi.....ill say the differences are barely noticeable.

What i do enjoy is not having to individually select the state my destination is in as the DVD required me to do, HDD resolved that. but in terms of speed and efficiency, its pretty much the same.

however, the look of the facelift is MUCH better

Old 12-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

and so has the directional skills of ________

A headless chicken?
A Brownian particle?
Ross Perot?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
as an owner of a previous DVD based navi and owner of a current HDD based navi.....ill say the differences are barely noticeable.

What i do enjoy is not having to individually select the state my destination is in as the DVD required me to do, HDD resolved that. but in terms of speed and efficiency, its pretty much the same.

however, the look of the facelift is MUCH better
thanks for your feed back, my choices are bwt the XFR and an X6M ( i like to have what i want, i know that the odds of me seeing a car like mine is slim) but in my research on the bmw i learn that their NAVI just switched to HDD for 2013

Originally Posted by heima
and so has the directional skills of ________

A headless chicken?
A Brownian particle?
Ross Perot?
Yeah any of that would work, even though i'm across the world she still calls me up to ask where places are and how to get to them even though every car has Navi....Women