XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Dynamic, TRAC, Sportmode confusion

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Dynamic, TRAC, Sportmode confusion

I've had my XF for over 3 years and i'm still confused about the performance modes:

Dynamic
TRAC DSC
Sport (S)

I understand the differences in the modes, but confused more on activiting dynamic vs TRAC DSC..

If i hit the DSC button, it says TRAC DSC on the console

If i hit Dynamic, it says dynamic

So for optimum performance & manual control do i first activate TRAC, THEN Dynamic ? I've read that hitting dynamic automatically activates TRAC, but i cant find that in my owners manual and there is no indication of TRAC on the console after only hitting dynamic..

???

(PS, i also know about fully disabling DSC)

Old 06-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok, so i re-read the owners manual (downloaded to my iPhone so it will always be with me!) and it does indeed say that Dynamic Mode also activates TRAC ..

but what is still confusing me is that the manual also states that TRAC is ideal for either packed-snow conditions OR dry tarmac/private racetrack day.. Arent snow and race track 100% opposites? I have lived in southern California all my life and have never driven in snow, so forgive my snow-ignorance.. but, isnt snow slippery??

Old 06-13-2011, 12:00 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy
ok, so i re-read the owners manual (downloaded to my iPhone so it will always be with me!) and it does indeed say that Dynamic Mode also activates TRAC ..

but what is still confusing me is that the manual also states that TRAC is ideal for either packed-snow conditions OR dry tarmac/private racetrack day.. Arent snow and race track 100% opposites? I have lived in southern California all my life and have never driven in snow, so forgive my snow-ignorance.. but, isnt snow slippery??
Yes, snow is slippery. But the idea with dialing down the traction control for snow is that the traction is actually a bit better if some wheelspin is allowed and some wheel lockup is allowed. Same goes for loose gravel. If you engage full traction control and ABS with snow, you could basically go nowhere, as the controls sense slip too early and take away all your power and apply your brakes.