XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

E-Diff Fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default E-Diff Fault - '13 XFR

I've got a '13 XFR with about 24K miles. My warranty expires in February of 2018 (10 months to go).

Yesterday, after driving the car to work in the morning, I had to run a quick errand. Upon startup, I got the E-Diff Fault error message on the screen. Stopping/starting the car again did not clear it. After driving around to run my errand, I parked it for 7 or 8 hours.

When I started it back up in the afternoon, the fault was gone. I never noticed any weird driveability issues.

How concerned should I be that my e-diff is toasted? The car is at the dealer now... is there anything i should tell them to be sure to inspect? It's a dealership that recently added Jaguar to their stable of brands, so they are not experienced with Jaguar per se.

Any advice appreciated.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

A low battery voltage can cause all sorts of errors, including with the E-Diff. Do you use the car regularly? It might be a sign of the battery starting to fail. If it's still the factory one (likely with a 2013 car) then this is a possibility, especially with "phantom" errors.

The E-Diff is operated by an electric motor, so if anything has toasted with these symptoms showing (and it's very unlikely if you couldn't see a problem that anything is toast) it's most likely to be the motor or a sensor associated with it, which would hopefully limit any repair cost.

Worth getting the dealer to check for any codes, but beyond that, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That's helpful, never would've thought about the battery. Thanks!

Old 04-12-2017, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

ALWAYS start at the battery when you get a fault for no apparent reason in theses cars..lol