XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

E85 or No

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 08:14 PM
Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm converting to E85 with this tune:

https://www.velocityap.com/product/a...5-tuning-file/

No injectors need changing. Just the tune. But is is not flex fuel, you gotta reflash to put regular gas in again.

Puts out 553Hp from the V6 on the dyno. I say E85 YES!

Old 08-04-2022, 11:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Does your car have both AUX radiators installed on the sides?
Usually the drivers side has a blanking plate installed behind the grille if not.
That's another very rare option.
Any chance you Know why it’s not such a common thing to have both? I have a 2011 XF 5.0SC with both Aux radiators. Just never understood why only a select amount or select model configuration was fitted and not the others. Are all XFRs fitted with them?

Old 08-05-2022, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by insomniac_driver
See normally, you would need a flex fuel sensor, but I believe Jaguar does it via some intelligence in the ECU in order to get it working. There is a fuel sensor within the ECU essentially like Mercedes (both Bosch units between AMG Mercedes and Jaguar too so very much possible). And exactly your logic, just gas and go and the car figures it out for me. But they are around and I have seen a few for sale (and been tempted to purchase just to get rid of the whole issue) but I will be sure to leave an update if I discover anything.

Oxidizer2k - See that is my point, I believe our cars and the flex fuel jags and our non flex fuel jags with 5.0 Supercharged engines use the same injectors, fuel lines, fuel pump, etc. So none of this would be necessary in terms being able to put e85 in. The only possible limitations I see for tuning purposes is finding injectors and a pump that would deliver more fuel as there is a 10% increase in consumption when it comes to E85 and more fuel would be required to be dumped into the engine for higher power gains, but for an oem power number, it would be more than happy to function as is. Personally, I would not mind a power bump, but I also do not feel like spending thousands upgrading all the systems, defeats the purpose of saving money at the pump!

But I see you have a 2010 XFR in your description, I heard one tuner in California managed to tune the older Denso ECU 6 Speed ZF cars up to e40, not sure if that was fuel system limitations or whatever else...
Do you know who or where? I’m in California and have done nearly everything I could and I would like to figure something out to do with E85. Any chance you or anyone know if this would be safe to run with a Killer Chiller Kit? I have currently seen 29 psi of Raw Boost Pressure on my live scanner and this thing pulled like a freight train. I would just like to refrain from sending rods through my block.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedxf
Any chance you Know why it’s not such a common thing to have both? I have a 2011 XF 5.0SC with both Aux radiators. Just never understood why only a select amount or select model configuration was fitted and not the others. Are all XFRs fitted with them?
My Aust delivery 2010 XFR came with only one aux radiator with a blanking plate on the other side.
The double aux radiator is part of the "hot climate" pack which from my research seemed to be limited to the Middle East (yep, hot as hell) and the US (some parts hot as hell but not many really), while somehow the JLR marketing wonks decided that Oz did not qualify as hot climate when much of Oz is just as hot as the Middle East, go figure.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
My Aust delivery 2010 XFR came with only one aux radiator with a blanking plate on the other side.
The double aux radiator is part of the "hot climate" pack which from my research seemed to be limited to the Middle East (yep, hot as hell) and the US (some parts hot as hell but not many really), while somehow the JLR marketing wonks decided that Oz did not qualify as hot climate when much of Oz is just as hot as the Middle East, go figure.
That actually makes quite a bit of sense. My car originally was purchased from 2nd owner out of Las Vegas, Nevada. Last I visited, didn’t drop below 100 until 5am and then back up at 7am.. luckily for me, I don’t see over 110 often. 100 is about the summer average. I think with everything combined, 2x Aux radiators, chiller kit and E85 with a tune (if one would become available) I would hope to see more than 650.. at this point I’m reaching and just hoping something will grab and make all the money spent feel like it’s been worth it. Not saying the 45-50mph rolling burnouts haven’t been fun or anything. But I’m sure there’s much easier-cheaper ways to achieve that and then some.

Old 08-05-2022, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,342 Likes on 1,843 Posts

Yes OzXFR is right we think it was some kind of hot weather package but I have never seen it listed on any window sticker so how did anyone order it? Maybe standard for some area's but no documentation? Plus tons of cars in hot places running just the one AUX radiator.

Kind of a puzzle all the way around as it was sort of discovered accidentally on this forum. Again never any mention from Jaguar about it but it is listed in the parts diagrams if you know where to look. I have seen a number of Diesels in the UK with both AUX radiators as I am still searching parts for a possible addition of the drivers side AUX radiator on my XJ. The radiator and hoses look to be no problem but trying to verify the ducting has totally confused me! The hoses and the AUX radiator are all the same across the Jaguar lineup but the ducting I think is model specific?

Old 08-05-2022, 12:23 PM

Yes OzXFR is right we think it was some kind of hot weather package but I have never seen it listed on any window sticker so how did anyone order it? Maybe standard for some area's but no documentation? Plus tons of cars in hot places running just the one AUX radiator.

Kind of a puzzle all the way around as it was sort of discovered accidentally on this forum. Again never any mention from Jaguar about it but it is listed in the parts diagrams if you know where to look. I have seen a number of Diesels in the UK with both AUX radiators as I am still searching parts for a possible addition of the drivers side AUX radiator on my XJ. The radiator and hoses look to be no problem but trying to verify the ducting has totally confused me! The hoses and the AUX radiator are all the same across the Jaguar lineup but the ducting I think is model specific?
A quick search came up with this thread. Looks like he was able to provide lots of info that could be of use. I did note he has an XFR-S but if the ducting looks similar then it could be worth a try to have some measurements taken to verify. I’ll have my bumper off later also if you’d like, I could pull numbers also.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Yes I think I have the part numbers and there are some on EBay. But the duct is in several parts too? Hate to start ordering used parts as no returns.
But any help is very much appreciated!

Old 08-06-2022, 11:43 AM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

I bought all of the parts and successfully mocked up the fit for adding the second aux radiator (driver-side) on my car ('11 XFR). I haven't fully installed all of the hoses yet, as I just finished the timing chain tensioners & guides, spark plugs, etc., but I have the new ductwork and aux radiator installed. I'm in the process of putting it all back together after replacing all of the hoses/plastics, and still need to order some additional pieces and finish the SC. I'm going to add an additional heat exchanger at an angle at the bottom of the center grill, too, and have a diagram drawn up of coolant flow to the aux rads, additional heat exchanger, etc., as well as the correct part numbers in PowerPoint and Excel files. I'm on my phone in Beckley, West Virginia for my mom's family reunion, right now, though, so don't have access to it. I'll be headed back down to Atlanta tomorrow and could get the information to you no later than Monday, if that sounds like something else you might want to see.

Old 08-06-2022, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Reaxions
I bought all of the parts and successfully mocked up the fit for adding the second aux radiator (driver-side) on my car ('11 XFR). I haven't fully installed all of the hoses yet, as I just finished the timing chain tensioners & guides, spark plugs, etc., but I have the new ductwork and aux radiator installed. I'm in the process of putting it all back together after replacing all of the hoses/plastics, and still need to order some additional pieces and finish the SC. I'm going to add an additional heat exchanger at an angle at the bottom of the center grill, too, and have a diagram drawn up of coolant flow to the aux rads, additional heat exchanger, etc., as well as the correct part numbers in PowerPoint and Excel files. I'm on my phone in Beckley, West Virginia for my mom's family reunion, right now, though, so don't have access to it. I'll be headed back down to Atlanta tomorrow and could get the information to you no later than Monday, if that sounds like something else you might want to see.
man, it’s good to see someone else doing some good work on their car themselves. At one point, I was starting to feel like a black sheep because I can’t afford to both buy any mods/ parts AND pay anyone who knows these cars well to work on mine. Not like I would’ve had I had the money. But point I’m trying to make is, I have learned a deeper appreciation for those of us who do their own work entirely. I’ve wrenched on cars many years but none as tedious as these Jaguars (mine is 2011 5.0SC XF). Looking forward to seeing your progress updates as you complete your work!

The following users liked this post:
Reaxions (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 11:20 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>but none as tedious as these Jaguars

That's a great observation!!
But has anybody worked on a similar modern performance car? Bet a supercharged Merc or BMW/Audi would be just as tough/expensive.
But at least with them there are probably more people working on them and sharing experiences.
==================================================
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (X250) Portfolio AWD
Jaguar - making mechanics out of customers since 1935

Old 08-08-2022, 02:12 PM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

I get that you meant supercharged vehicles, but I will say that my Audi S3 8V (2.0T) is cake to work on compared to my XFR, primarily because it's a lot smaller engine, albeit in a smaller engine bay, but nothing is really that hard to get to, etc. And, to your point, so many aftermarket parts are available for it, as well as a ton more information from people who are working on them, especially since it's a lot cheaper and almost identical to the VW Golf R MK7 powertrain, suspension, etc., so it's definitely a lot easier.

Every time I do anything new to my XFR, I learn a lot more, and it gets a little less scary, though. And, some of the stuff, I've now done multiple times over my 11 years of ownership. I'm still nowhere near the point that I know anywhere near as much as a lot of these guys on here, but I definitely feel a lot more comfortable trying things than I did a few years ago. Not to mention that it's not my daily driver, so while I'd really prefer not to make any mistakes, it's not the end of the world if I need to keep it sidelined while I fix anything minor I might screw up.

Old 03-06-2023, 05:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I am new in this forum but I want to share my experience with you about the e85 conversion.
I have a Jaguar XF 5.0 v8 phase 2 (2012). I reprogrammed the car injection in a specialized garage to accept e85 and gasoline or a mix without any other changes.
I drove 70 000 KM since without a glitch using only E85 always. The engine never had a single glitch even under very cold weather (-10C).
The only problem I am facing now is the gasoline pump that hated the e85 and got damaged. I am changing it now after 70 000 KM.
If I need to change it every 100 000KM I am totally fine with it ;-)
Do you know if it exists some gasoline pump more keen to resist to e85 that I can mount ?

Thank you

Old 03-08-2023, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Your car has 3 fuel pumps? Which one is damaged?
All the pumps work fine with Ethanol so no special pumps are needed and I have not seen any other options.

Old 03-09-2023, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Eggsosept
Hello,
I am new in this forum but I want to share my experience with you about the e85 conversion.
I have a Jaguar XF 5.0 v8 phase 2 (2012). I reprogrammed the car injection in a specialized garage to accept e85 and gasoline or a mix without any other changes.
I drove 70 000 KM since without a glitch using only E85 always. The engine never had a single glitch even under very cold weather (-10C).
The only problem I am facing now is the gasoline pump that hated the e85 and got damaged. I am changing it now after 70 000 KM.
If I need to change it every 100 000KM I am totally fine with it ;-)
Do you know if it exists some gasoline pump more keen to resist to e85 that I can mount ?

Thank you
Did you install a flex fuel sensor? If so was it a KLR sensor off of a newer (newer than 2012 Flex Fuel Jag/LR/RR? And if so, where’d you install it? I bought a FF sensor off a 2014 but don’t know how to get my car to accept the ethanol readings.

Old 03-10-2023, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Yes me too! We don't have much info on these flex fuel Jaguars. We do know they sold some from the factory and we can find the flex fuel sensors but I don't understand what Jaguar changed to make it E85 compatible? Or how to adapt it to a non-E85 car?

Old 03-10-2023, 09:10 PM

Yes me too! We don't have much info on these flex fuel Jaguars. We do know they sold some from the factory and we can find the flex fuel sensors but I don't understand what Jaguar changed to make it E85 compatible? Or how to adapt it to a non-E85 car?
It must just be an additional parameter to allow for readings from the flex fuel sensor. So the one I purchased is a Flex Fuel Pressure sensor for the Low Pressure side. In my 2011 XF 5.0SC LHD it’s inside the driver fender well towards the cabin. I believe it should essentially replace my OE one but I just have no idea how to add that additional (And very crucial) parameter. I mean that’s a huge part of Fuel trims and AFR. But unfortunately I have a damn Denso ECM. Which as I’m sure many know, there aren’t much for these model ECMs. Sucks.

Old 03-11-2023, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

I read a comment that Flex-Fuel was only done on the 8 speed cars. That explains why when I started running part numbers the flex fuel sensors were only specified for 2013 and up XJ's? I don't know if this was true or not?

Old 03-11-2023, 08:12 PM

I read a comment that Flex-Fuel was only done on the 8 speed cars. That explains why when I started running part numbers the flex fuel sensors were only specified for 2013 and up XJ's? I don't know if this was true or not?
Yea, I do believe that is the case. I believe that the Bosch ECUs were started in 2013. I wonder what it is about the Denso ECU that tuners/ engineers or developers don’t like about it.

Old 03-11-2023, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedxf
Yea, I do believe that is the case. I believe that the Bosch ECUs were started in 2013. I wonder what it is about the Denso ECU that tuners/ engineers or developers don’t like about it.
I understand that the Bosch ECU has a lot more tuneable parameters than the relatively primitive Denso ECU.

Quick Reply: E85 or No