XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

E85 or No

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 04:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Your car has 3 fuel pumps? Which one is damaged?
All the pumps work fine with Ethanol so no special pumps are needed and I have not seen any other options.
Nope, there is only 2 pumps :
1) The Gas pump (Low pressure), it is submerged in the gas tank and uses electric power.
2) The High pressure gas pump also known as the injection pump, it is mechanically bonded to the engine, full metal. And.... very small part.

The High pressure gas pump got damaged after 70000 Km, it is due to the dryness of the e85, the pump got "dried", means its performances decreased over time due to added frictions in its mechanism until the car stall.
The mechanic said that if we change it every 100 000 Km it will be fine. Full replacement cost including labor is 550 Euros.

Also Bosch are providing an alternative to OEM High pressure gas pump where it is E85 ready, I may mount this one instead.

Hope this can help.

Old 03-22-2023, 04:57 AM

I think readings are fine from OEM config, only injection tuning is required.

Old 03-22-2023, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,218 Likes on 2,373 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggsosept
Nope, there is only 2 pumps :
1) The Gas pump (Low pressure), it is submerged in the gas tank and uses electric power.
2) The High pressure gas pump also known as the injection pump, it is mechanically bonded to the engine, full metal. And.... very small part.

The High pressure gas pump got damaged after 70000 Km, it is due to the dryness of the e85, the pump got "dried", means its performances decreased over time due to added frictions in its mechanism until the car stall.
The mechanic said that if we change it every 100 000 Km it will be fine. Full replacement cost including labor is 550 Euros.

Also Bosch are providing an alternative to OEM High pressure gas pump where it is E85 ready, I may mount this one instead.

Hope this can help.
The AJ133 (5.0 litre V8) has three fuel pumps, a low pressure pump in the fuel tank and two high pressure pumps mounted low down on the right hand side of the block, see the attached PDF from the Technical Training doc:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
5.0 fuel pumps.pdf (1.26 MB, 34 views)
Old 03-22-2023, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The AJ133 (5.0 litre V8) has three fuel pumps, a low pressure pump in the fuel tank and two high pressure pumps mounted low down on the right hand side of the block, see the attached PDF from the Technical Training doc:
Hello,

Hooo I didn't know that.Thank you for clarification.
I believe my mechanic was speaking about the 2 pumps as a "block".
Thank you

Old 03-23-2023, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,389 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Correct OzXFR. No they are serviced separately and they each have their own set of fault codes.
If that's true it's strange that Jaguar used the same fuel pumps for the gas powered and the flex-fuel cars? No different part numbers?
All fuel system components have long ago been designed for Alcohol use.

Last edited by clubairth1; 03-23-2023 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Correct OzXFR. No they are serviced separately and they each have their own set of fault codes.
If that's true it's strange that Jaguar used the same fuel pumps for the gas powered and the flex-fuel cars? No different part numbers?
All fuel system components have long ago been designed for Alcohol use.
Hi,
It was in fact the low pressure fuel pump that is inside the fuel tank. Mechanics simply changed it and the car worked as before.
But since the fuel pump change my fuel level indicator is working sporadically. When the tank is full it indicate 85% then between 30% and 75% the indictor keep going up and down, then when the fuel level reach the reserve, the indicator comes back to normal.
Do you guys have any idea what can cause this ? Is there an "learning" process that can be fired up ?
Thank you for all your help.

Old 09-28-2023, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,389 Likes on 1,884 Posts

I have a possible long shot and I went thru this exact same thing on a Ford F-150?

Fuel level sensors can be fouled by the additives in gasoline. There is an gas additive called PEA that is suppose to clean deposits from the fuel system. There are a number of fuel system cleaners that include PEA.
On the F-150 boards when those trucks have fuel level problems the recommendation is to either change the fuel pump and sender or attempt to clean it by running a bottle or two of a high PEA cleaner. Now will this work? I don't know but it did not for me.

On this 2014 F-150 we had a fuel gauge that did not read full when the tank was full. It seemed to get more accurate as the fuel level went down. Now what was strange at this point is I had access to an expensive Autel scanner and that scanner could drive the fuel gauge to any level you wanted!
So we went 25%,50%,75% and 100% readings and the gauge was dead on!

So the dashboard gauge seemed to be fine. We then ran several bottles of high PEA cleaner thru the truck with no change. We finally changed the fuel pump assembly with the fuel level sender. Now believe it or not we STILL have the same problem! So like I said that was the suggestion but I saw no improvement from using the additives.

Note different products have different levels of PEA. Here is a good thread where they go over which one's have the highest PEA level.
PEA Additives

But it is cheap and easy to do for not much money.