XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

ECU Tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Default ECU Tune

A local shop said they can tune my XFR in the range of the following based on previous cars XF SC's/R's they have done. Should I just get the tune done or should I do the pulley upgrade/tune? I am thinking of the Mina Gallery pulley. The shop would include the AFR printout to show pre and post run.

Make JAGUAR
Model XF Supercharged 5.0 DI
Year 2010-2013
Stock Peak HP 510
Tuned Peak HP 565
Max HP Gain 55
Stock Peak Torque 461
Tuned Peak Torque 481
Max TQ Gain 20

Last edited by kiddhan625; 11-03-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

A tune should be the last thing you do so it can compensate for any modifications you've done. If you plan on getting a pulley upgrade you should do that before the tune.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm not sure if anyone else is thinking this, but unless the shop you're speaking of is EuroCharged (I think they have an office in that area somewhere), that it's highly unlikely that they have seen multiple SC's and R's for tunes. I would assume they are using a canned tune and just installing it for you. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but you should ask who the tune comes from so you know what you're working with.

I had a custom dyno tune where the shop actually re-wrote the software in my ECU using the dyno and AFR and even in Southern California, it was tough to find someone who would do it period. And the shop that did mine had to order in additional equipment to gain access to the ECU.

So not knowing what tune you would be getting, it's hard to recommend a course of action. But on mine, I do notice a little more power in the lower half of the powerband with the pulley. As I've stated before though, if I had it to do again, I wouldn't do the pulley because a lot of the power you gain just gets bled off by traction control or wheelspin and the extra cost didn't gain a lot of benefit. But it does yield an almost flat torque curve. Check out my old post with dyno charts etc. You should be able to find it easily if you search "jailbreak tune".

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 11-04-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:13 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

From my understanding, Eurocharged closed its Washington/Virginia shop. I had planned to go there to get my tune and pulley. I got lucky because there's another shop who can do the Eurocharged tune and pulley in Long Island NY. I just set up an appointment with them. I would be very careful on who you let tinker with your Jaguar unless you know for sure that they have the right equipment and knowledge to tune it.
Good looking out GPalace..

The following users liked this post:
Gpalace (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

Not to worry. The guys who did mine have done a lot of high end Porsches, BMW's and Mercedes. The tuner that does the Ken Block Gymkhana Subaru referred me to them. I checked them out locally and couldn't find anyone with a bad thing to say.

The guy who does the software side used to do tuning for BBI, who are a nationally recognized Porsche tuner in Huntington Beach. They are very professional and are smart guys. That's the only reason I let them have my car for 4 days to get it right.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Not to worry. The guys who did mine have done a lot of high end Porsches, BMW's and Mercedes. The tuner that does the Ken Block Gymkhana Subaru referred me to them. I checked them out locally and couldn't find anyone with a bad thing to say.

The guy who does the software side used to do tuning for BBI, who are a nationally recognized Porsche tuner in Huntington Beach. They are very professional and are smart guys. That's the only reason I let them have my car for 4 days to get it right.
I can vouch for Jailbreak Tuning, the same guy that Kyanite used to tune his car. My local speed shop here in San Diego, HG Motorsports, have contracted Jailbreak Tuning to rewrite ECU parameters for a few of their customers.

Kyanite and I had a bit of fun a while ago; matching up his tuned XFR versus my XFR running the XKR-S engine mapping. Although the race was close due to Kyanite not being used to the RPM's climbing so fast and therefore hitting the rev limiter, I can say hands down that Kyanite's XFR pulls MUCH harder higher into the RPM range. A simple play by play of the race:

- Start at 40mph in 2nd.
- We both get a same hit.
- At 65mph, I shift into 3rd and Kyanite is about 1/8 car ahead.
- He hits rev limiter.
- I pull half a car immediately.
- 105mph I shift into fourth.
- Kyanite has already gained back his lost ground and is starting to pull ahead.
- We shut off the taps.

Although a pretty short race, even in that little bit of time it is hugely noticeable that his car is indeed faster than the factory mapping.
Solid tune!

Last edited by patrickw813; 11-08-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

Patrick was being nice there about hitting the limiter. Ignorance of where the limiter actually stepped in was more of the culprit and me not being used to the paddles at the time.

Patrick, we still need to hit Fontana this fall to get a real test.