ECU Tuning Group | Jaguar XF/XFR ECU Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Then are you the one who took a pic of the burnouts after the flash? LOL

Old 06-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Where did u see that pic I never posted.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

A friend took a pic with his phone and sent it to me from the MC customs street.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Zeus must want me to get my XF Tuned

I had told myself that I would consider tuning once my 15K service was done. I had that done yesterday. Then I thought that I needed a dyno before and after run, but I didn't know where to look to do a dyno for me.

So this morning Groupon sends me a coupon for a Lotus mechanic 5 miles from me for over half off a dyno run. Jupiter is telling me something.

How much extra gas mileage should I get with an ECU tune? I have an '11 XF 5L, normally aspirated. I get about 14MPG around town, and 18-20 freeway. I don't know if it's because I tend to gun it, or whether the mileage estimates are a lie, but I certainly don't get 16-23 like the sticker said. So, if I can justify the cost to myself in gas savings, I may go for it.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Lets just say that there will be a full write up by me in a few days of a few cars that are getting this tune right now.Full write up with pix and video of before and after dyno runs. We shall see written facts soon enough.

The following users liked this post:
mtravis (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 PM

Unprofessional...Well I can't blame them I haven't stop burning out since it was done lol...need new tires asap!

Old 06-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCat09
A friend took a pic with his phone and sent it to me from the MC customs street.
Originally Posted by Guille
Unprofessional...Well I can't blame them I haven't stop burning out since it was done lol...need new tires asap!
We do not abuse our customers vehicles unless given approval by them to do so. The picture was not taken at MC Customs or anywhere near it. The picture was taken on a residential road as the customer was leaving the tuners residence.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mtravis
I had told myself that I would consider tuning once my 15K service was done. I had that done yesterday. Then I thought that I needed a dyno before and after run, but I didn't know where to look to do a dyno for me.

So this morning Groupon sends me a coupon for a Lotus mechanic 5 miles from me for over half off a dyno run. Jupiter is telling me something.

How much extra gas mileage should I get with an ECU tune? I have an '11 XF 5L, normally aspirated. I get about 14MPG around town, and 18-20 freeway. I don't know if it's because I tend to gun it, or whether the mileage estimates are a lie, but I certainly don't get 16-23 like the sticker said. So, if I can justify the cost to myself in gas savings, I may go for it.
You will notice an increase in fuel economy as well as additional gains. According to many of our customers with the tune, they experience an average gain in mpg from 16-18mpg to 21+mpg.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:07 PM

It's amazing how quick bad info gets pushed around. Then the burnout was me. ETG, I'm not blaming anyone. In fact I am quite satisfied with the results. Not to mention my car came back cleaner and nicer than when I gave it to ETG.

edobernig (06-08-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ECU states “…Through the months of testing and data logging, we noticed that there are absolutely no internal differences, other than exhaust (XKR-S), between the 470hp, 510hp, and 550hp Jaguars. As stated on our previous blog (Jaguar XKR-S ECU Tuning), Jaguar placed limiters within the software that affect each model differently…”
So, why can’t the 510 hp XKR be raised to 605 hp, the same as the XKR-S? Is the exhaust the only thing between more hp?

Old 06-17-2012, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb-ft
So, why can’t the 510 hp XKR be raised to 605 hp, the same as the XKR-S? Is the exhaust the only thing between more hp?
Go find the car magazine article that discusses the development of the XKR-S. It implies that it is mostly ECU.

edobernig (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what is the point of spending $1800 on a tune with pulley if you can't even feel the difference? for that kind of money i want to feel a huge difference. I mean you should really be able to notice and feel an 80hp difference.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member

You do feel it, I just said to me it doesnt feel like much as I am used to much more power from my other cars. The guys who have the 470hp cars must really feel a bigger difference I would think.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:03 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Fastcat
what is the point of spending $1800 on a tune with pulley if you can't even feel the difference? for that kind of money i want to feel a huge difference. I mean you should really be able to notice and feel an 80hp difference.
Bigcat09 has some other fast cars so I see where he is coming from. I just tuned my saab from 210hp to 270 hp. I wasnt very impressed by it like I thought I would be, because my xfsc is so much faster anyways. I think guys whose jaguar xf is the fastest car they have ever driven will notice the power increase far more then bigcat. Big cat also did before and after dynos and it shows what you get from the tune. Tuning is still the most cost effective way to increase horsepower.

Last edited by bryce804; 06-19-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bryce804
Bigcat09 has some other fast cars so I see where he is coming from. I just tuned my saab from 210hp to 270 hp. I wasnt very impressed by it like I thought I would be, because my xfsc is so much faster anyways. I think guys whose jaguar xf is the fastest car they have ever driven will notice the power increase far more then bigcat. Big cat also did before and after dynos and it shows what you get from the tune. Tuning is still the most cost effective way to increase horsepower.

This is precisely why I'm not going to bother tuning my 09 XF SC, my Z06 is crazy fast and my VRod gets up and goes as well. The XF goes very well for what it is, a sports sedan, the tune numbers sound good but the real life seat of the pants feel difference does not justify the asking price IMHO.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:31 PM
vs2
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm inclined to agree as my other car is a 1000+ hp HEMI. Even though my tuner says the XFR is now 475 ATW it does not feel any different. My tune is with Viezu, plus the pulley. Ridiculous as it may sound to you all but I would probably need another 100+ hp out of the XFR to be content and I'm sure to achieve that it would be expensive. So its a great car stock and if I was to want more from the XFR I would go to a serious tuning shop and put together a plan as do the serious tuning shops for the big 3 German marques.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb-ft
The XKR-S is 550 hp, and the 510 hp XKR can be raised to 550+ with the ECU tune only, and to ~600 hp with ECU tune plus a pulley upgrade. BigCat09 has just shown this higher power level in his thread yesterday.

I'm puzzled as to why some of you had the desire to buy and modify other higher power cars at great expense feel a $1700 or $2000 power upgrade isn't exceptional value. Those who buy the S/C models pay a huge premium for a 85-125 hp increase (470 or 510 from 385), so how is another 90-130 hp increase for $2000 expensive?

Whether you're happy with 385 or 510 hp for daily use on the street, or get your thrills with monster power in a car you almost never drive, it doesn't make sense to discount the value of these power increases for those you are interested in it. Some want more power in a car they can drive anywhere and anytime for a variety of reasons, and often just to brag to their buddies, and may not even care about how much of a difference they "feel". Those who drag race or track their cars will definitely notice the difference.

Bruce

edobernig (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member

^ I could not of said it better ^

Old 06-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
The XKR-S is 550 hp, and the 510 hp XKR can be raised to 550+ with the ECU tune only, and to ~600 hp with ECU tune plus a pulley upgrade. BigCat09 has just shown this higher power level in his thread yesterday.

I'm puzzled as to why some of you had the desire to buy and modify other higher power cars at great expense feel a $1700 or $2000 power upgrade isn't exceptional value. Those who buy the S/C models pay a huge premium for a 85-125 hp increase (470 or 510 from 385), so how is another 90-130 hp increase for $2000 expensive?

Whether you're happy with 385 or 510 hp for daily use on the street, or get your thrills with monster power in a car you almost never drive, it doesn't make sense to discount the value of these power increases for those you are interested in it. Some want more power in a car they can drive anywhere and anytime for a variety of reasons, and often just to brag to their buddies, and may not even care about how much of a difference they "feel". Those who drag race or track their cars will definitely notice the difference.

Bruce
I paid $28k for my 09 XF SC Sport Sedan, key words are sport sedan. It accelerates very well for a sports sedan and makes my commute much nicer, I smile everyday as I drive it. I enjoy the sound of the Mina exhaust which makes the money well spent. Spending $1500 to increase power that I wouldn't necessarily feel is not worth it, I don't care about bragging rights, it must feel good to me, if I can't feel it then whats the point? I am not saying this cause I'm cheap, my Z06 has $25k worth of mods and pretty much every one of the 50 cars I have owned was modded as well. $1500 for tune and pulley is not a big issue, but what do I get for the $1500, numbers on a dyno? I want the seat of the pants meter to register the power increase, if this is not the case in these sports sedans, then why bother? My car sold for $70k new, do I think it is worth $70k new, to be very honest, no way, it has a few cheap touches inside that shouldn't be there (for example, the plastic part at the bottom of the steering wheel feels cheap) but at $28k in brand new condition it is an amazing car.

Now I know many will say that if I am nit picking the XF interior how could I possibly buy a C6 Corvette with its chintzy interior. Well the Z06 is the best bang for the buck out there and it makes no pretense of being a fancy car, just an awesome sports car, who cares if the interior is plasticky when the pedal on the right controls the mighty LS7 engine.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by 09XFSuper; 06-20-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Well I get the part about some of you not feeling the desire for more power in your XF because it's just a sports sedan, or because you'd measure it's value by the perceived visceral kick in the butt...or even how someone else peceives it. But there's a little more than that involved here.

Those of you that are focused on the difference in "feel" are really missing the point. What you're craving and responding to is a decent bump in low and mid-range torque. When you stab the pedal you want to feel like you're being pushed back into the seat. You want to smoke that kid in the Mustang at the light. That's what you get with a 5L, and adding a S/C adds a lot more of the grunt you love...and the ECU flash adds a little more.

But that's not what makes a car fast in the 1/4 mile, or around a road course. For that you need horsepower, and the more you have at higher rpm the faster the car. Lots of very fast cars don't have a lot of low and mid-range torque, and "feel" rather slow because of it, but they've been designed to retain more of that torque to redline, and by doing so make high horsepower and accelerate surprisingly quickly. BigCat09's ECU flash and pulley gained him only 25 ft-lbs of torque in the mid-range, not nearly enough to light his *** on fire, but he gained 65 wheel horsepower in the high rpm band that he'll use and appreciate at the drag strip, and that I'd use frequently lapping at race tracks.

I think some who have had these tunes done were expecting the car to" feel" faster, but instead they got a car that "is" faster and their daily driving doesn't recognize the difference. Fortunately the dyno tells the tale a lot better than relying on your butt...or somebody else's.

Let me know if anyone is fuzzy on the difference between torque and horsepower, or why horsepower wins the race every time. It's not a very intuitive concept, but it makes perfect sense once explained.

Bruce

Quick Reply: ECU Tuning Group | Jaguar XF/XFR ECU Upgrade