XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

ECU Tuning Group Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts
Lightbulb ECU Tuning Group Review

Well, I figure I would write up my experience with ECU Tuning Group.
I debated on doing this due to the high cost and not enough data gathered on ECUTG for a great amount of time. So after all the homework I could do on them I decided to finally bite the bullet and see what they are about.

After speaking with Jags Gill at great length he shipped me next day a laptop for me to extract my cars info. Then you simply email the tiny file to Jags and he will email you it back to reload it back into the car. Then after all that is done you use a small code reader to delete any pending CEL codes and you are ready to fire it up. From the moment I made the purchase and during all events and even now weeks after I still can call Jags at anytime and he answers the phone or email right away.

My initial impression was blah only due to the car needing to go through its normal adaptation period. After that I decided to break out the Race Logic Vbox I use i nthe GTR, Supra, etc as that thing does not lie to see what gains were made in the 60-130 range. Well, the Vbox showed a very consistent 1 full second shave off the original stock 60-130 times. That alone had me a believer as that tells me there must be about 50whp gain.
Next wa to hit the same dyno on a similiar temp day. That never worked out so after a 2 hour drive in traffic on a 85 degree muggy day I arrived at the dyno late. So now I have no time to cool the car off and strap it down and make my run. The first pull stock was 409/391 HP/TQ and with the flash and pulley the car made 474/415 HP/TQ. That is a 65 WHP gain over stock and it was a hot day wit ha hot engine. I also ran into the issue with the car not going into dynamic mode or traction off for obvious reasons so this is why the car shifted early as you can see on the dyno charts. So there is def more power to be made just due to those factors alone.
Please dont judge the numbers alone but judge the gains, every dyno reads differently and this Super FLow reads o nthe low side. If I get a chance to use a dynojet I will bet the numbers will be 15-20 WHP higher.

Without further delay here are the dyno sheets from before and after:
Thanks goes out to Mike at Maximum PSI and Jags Gill at ECUTG

The following 10 users liked this post by BigCat09:
09XFSuper (06-13-2012), axr6 (06-15-2012), Bruce H. (06-13-2012), bryce804 (06-14-2012), crebri (08-02-2012), edobernig (06-14-2012), Mike V (06-18-2012), mtravis (06-14-2012), Reaxions (06-28-2012), WaterDragon (06-15-2012) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Nice results. What about your thoughts on seat-of-the-pants-feel? Does it feel noticeably stronger in daily driving? How about driveability? Does it feel different, better somehow?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

Besides the numbers it feels fairly the same.This is my slowest car ever so maybe I am expecting more. Nonetheless it feels good and drives like it should. No side effects at all!

Old 06-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCat09
Besides the numbers it feels fairly the same.This is my slowest car ever so maybe I am expecting more. Nonetheless it feels good and drives like it should. No side effects at all!
Feel is very important, if it feels pretty much the same then I may as well leave mine stock in that regards, it runs great and has good power. When I had my Z06 tuned the feel was totally different it just felt so much more powerful all over the rpm band.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Congrats, and thank you very much for sharing your experience and results. Those look like terrific gains!
Originally Posted by BigCat09
Please dont judge the numbers alone but judge the gains, every dyno reads differently and this Super FLow reads o nthe low side. If I get a chance to use a dynojet I will bet the numbers will be 15-20 WHP higher.

Without further delay here are the dyno sheets from before and after:
I've compared your baseline (before) dyno to Icarus77's baseline run on a Dynojet and notice significant differences which may indicate your dyno was reading low. Here's his 5L S/C (in an XJ S/C):

Your dyno really does seem to be reading low for the following reason, and your after tune power may be a fair bit more if measured on the DynoJet that Icarus77 used. Starting at 4500 rpm, where you can see both cars have upshifted, you are making around 350 ft-lbs of torque compared to his 400...both at full throttle and stock boost. Same engine, so would be pretty close to the same power if measured on the same dyno. Either he's in a different gear, test conditions were dramatically different, or your dyno is reading about 50 ft-lbs lower.

But above 6000 rpm yours is only slightly lower, with both cars in the same gear as at 4500 rpm. Perhaps your intake and exhaust mods that you had already done when doing the baseline dyno are showing their effect as the engine approaches maximum airflow.

Your "after" dyno has a text book perfect shape with near table top flat torque curve and horsepower curve rising to redline. Your after dyno again show yours recording less torque through the mid-range, which again supports the theory that your dyno was reading low, but never-the-less your peak hp is higher (474 hp vs. 460 ish) perhaps reflecting your pulley and flow mods, and the ability of ECUTG to tune more top end with them. Unless I'm mis-reading things I think you'd dyno easily over 500 whp on the Dynojet (which is pretty much the industry standard for power comparison purposes).

Your 1/4 mile drag timeslips should be impressive! Please update this thread with any new results!

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 06-14-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: changed to make more sense!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi,
Is this with BOTH ECU and Pulley upgrade, or just ECU?

I did the ETG ECU upgrade on my 2011 S/C about 2 months ago. I can definetely feel a difference mostly on WOT or close to situation, which is not normal driving. The rears definitely love to break traction now much more than before. The fuel consumption did not improve as ETG claims- about the same. (But maybe mentally I drive it more agressively now? not sure). The best I got on the HWY is 23.8MPG, before or after tune.
No driveability issues. It is a true 'sleeper' now, which is what I like most of all.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Idid this with the pulley. My MPG in non dynamic mode before was 19 mpg at best on a 2 hour highway drive. Now it is 21 MPG on the same drive. It is just hard not to drive it slow now. I do notice now under normal driving my exhaust tips are very black after just 1 day of driving and before the tune it was never black. So they must have richen up the mixture under normal driving condidtions.

And I will still say even though I think this Flash in a Can is a bit pricey it is still a flash that really works and works very well.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Your dyno gains are looking impressive, however, the 60-130 MPH times puzzle me a bit. To me, that is the REAL representation of power gain, pushing the air out of the way at those higher speeds. 1 second gain in that speed range does not impress me as much.

I know that it is totally different but, my normally aspirated XK gained 3 full seconds from 70-110MPH acceleration just on the change to the MINA exhaust.

When I tuned my twin turbo RX-7 back in the 90s I did 60-160 accelerations and the change was from 32 seconds stock to 21 seconds after some mods that really did not include raising the boost more than 2 psi (10 to 12).

As far as "feeling" the difference in HP, I agree that sometimes it is difficult to "feel" in an already fast car even a 70 HP difference. I have adjustable boost in my present twin turbo 7 and when I push the button to go from 12 psi to 19 psi, the increase in power is nearly 100 HP but, it is really not that easy to "feel" as the car is already pretty darn fast at 12 psi. You have to have surgical eyes to make out the difference how the scenery blurs as you fly by

Thanks for taking the time to show us the documented results.

Albert

Old 06-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

^ I only took 3 sample of before and after in the Vbox 60-130 test. I wasnt going for the best nu,bers but rather stabbing the throttle on the same road at the same rpm and at the same speed each time to compare. Now If I did this sample in the ideal power range each time then the results would be different.