XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Engin failure and frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engin failure and frustrated

Pep Boys changed oil in our 2013 XF 2.0 (gas) turbo with 52000 miles. While driving on the express way at 70-80MPH the restricted performance indicator began to flash off and on, we pulled off at the next exit (about 10 miles) and before we got to a service station (another mile or so) the engine seized. The car was driven less than 250 miles since the oil change. The service station mechanic declared there was no oil in the engine. He pulled the plastic pan under the engine and there was no oil residue, he checked the exhaust pipes and no sign of oil. Jaguar informed me the warranty had expired but they would tear down the engine for a few thousand dollars and possibly they could discover what caused the problem. To rebuild the engine would be $25-30,000.
Pep Boys claim all the correct oil change procedures were followed (if they failed to install oil, the car would not have gone 10 miles) and they are not at fault. They did mention they could not get the service code to reset after they performed the oil change.
Has anyone heard of or had a experience like this or have any idea what could have happened?

Old 03-09-2018, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 355 Likes on 269 Posts

Resetting the service code can be a bit of a b*tch if you don't get your timing right, so that's just not a factor in this case.

If I had to guess, maybe Pep Boys left a little bit of oil in the engine, so it was able to run for 250 miles, but if you were dropping all your engine oil at that rate, you would have seen something in the undercarriage cover.

Good luck, you have a long road ahead of you dealing with Jaguar and Pep Boys with that kind of money on the line.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Forgetting to add oil after an oil change happens once in a while. I remember stopping to help someone stopped on the freeway, who just happened to be a Jag tech driving a new XK8 they had just serviced. He had not replaced oil after draining. Anyway that was going to require a new replacement engine. My oil change place (oddly enough named Oil Changers!) adds fresh oil, then shows me the level on the dipstick. Then I start the car and verify that the gauge displays oil pressure or the warning light goes out. That might be tough to do without a dipstick and with an electronic level monitor. Why did Jaguar remove the dipstick? My Cadillac Northstar car had an oil life monitor but still had a dip stick. 25-30k to rebuild the motor? That doesn't sound right, the whole car is probably only worth that much. It does seem odd that you could drive it for 250 miles if it didn't have any oil in it. I would have imagined that a warning light would have gone off almost immediately. Pep Boys should be required to make things right, but you will probably have to contact an attorney or one of those television "Five on your side" kind of teams. I hope that it turns out for you.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:34 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

I am very sorry that you had this happen but I wouldn't let Pep Boys change oil in a lawn mower. Mine goes to the dealer as it is still under warranty but when it comes off warranty I will have researched and found a competent independent shop and mechanic.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Pep Boys hey-Forgot to put gear lube in my sisters trans axel, Car seized in Victorville CA. they put my mom sis and nephew up for 3 days and fixed the car. Gonna be hard to prove fault in your case.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:57 AM
Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I would have the documentation both from Pep Boys and the service station and take it to an attorney. Start by having him write a letter to both local Pep Boys and corporate office.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a consumer protection attorney that's going to handle the case.

Originally Posted by mghirsch
I would have the documentation both from Pep Boys and the service station and take it to an attorney. Start by having him write a letter to both local Pep Boys and corporate office.
Thanks all for the comments and advice.