XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Engine Complaints For Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 01:21 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Engine Complaints For Jaguar

I owned a 2000 Saab from new and was meticulous about maintenance. The engine still failed. Due to numerous (100'S) reports to Center for Auto Safety, which has received hundreds of consumer complaints about engines destroyed by sludge.Saab extended the warranty for 8 years unlimited miles. Mine was replaced free.

As noted by CAS, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi have also offered extended warranties on some of their engines in recent years. Some owners of Chrysler’s 2.7-liter V-6 from the 1998 to 2002 model years have had engine failures, but Chrysler has denied a sludge defect and said a lack of oil changes is the problem.

Saab Engine Warranty Extension

Reports should be filed with NHTSA as well as CAS ( which is a consumer advocacy group)

If there are enough complaints Jaguar may try to fix the problem.

I had a bad crossover. Several had timing chains go. Let's give it a shot. Perhaps the Mods can put up a thread or forum for registering complaints to provide links and information on how to file.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:17 PM
Received 13,107 Likes on 6,531 Posts

Hi Jssaab,

If your point is that complaining about pattern failures in Jaguar engines may result in extended coverage from Jaguar, it would seem that communicating directly with existing resources such as the NHTSA and CAS you mention, as well as Jaguar/Tata Motors, may be the most expedient routes to any compensatory action. When auto manufacturers agree to address pattern failures, it is generally focused on one particular failure or group of related failures known to occur in a specific model within a certain VIN range. Most of the forum model threads already contain multiple accounts of pattern failures, so I'm not sure I understand the point of collecting them all into one thread here. Was there something else you had in mind?

Like other manufacturers, Jaguar has a history of addressing known pattern issues, either through Technical Service Bulletins or recalls. Just to give one example, some XJ40s were equipped with automatic seat belts that developed malfunctions. Jaguar subsequently extended the warranty for these seat belts to the life of the vehicle.

Cheers,

Don

Old 10-18-2019, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

It's not likely to include a tuned one, though.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:21 AM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
It's not likely to include a tuned one, though.
Corvette owners have a saying,

"You play......you pay!"

Old 10-19-2019, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Originally Posted by StuG
Corvette owners have a saying,

"You play......you pay!"
Yes. Makes the OP rather odd.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

You have blown any chance of a warranty claim with the tune:

You do appear to be exceptionally hard on your vehicles apart from having more than your fair share of bad luck.

Graham

Old 10-19-2019, 11:07 AM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Jssaab,

Like other manufacturers, Jaguar has a history of addressing known pattern issues, either through Technical Service Bulletins or recalls. Just to give one example, some XJ40s were equipped with automatic seat belts that developed malfunctions. Jaguar subsequently extended the warranty for these seat belts to the life of the vehicle.

Cheers,

Don
Land Rover uses the same 5.0 engines and they have a TSB for timing chain replacements for 2010-2012 model year vehicles. Jaguar vehicles that use the exact same motor have no such TSB and this issue is something we see a lot of on the forum. There always seem to be more TSBs on the LR side, even though the same parts are used for Jaguar, I am assuming because of the LR volume and more owner complaints. So, I personally don't believe Jaguar is always forthright about addressing pattern issues.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
You do appear to be exceptionally hard on your vehicles apart from having more than your fair share of bad luck.

Graham
With all due respect, how hard he runs his own car doesn't change the fact that these engines do have a couple of quite significant design flaws that can sometimes lead to terminal engine damage if left unaddressed. The timing chain wear (prior to parts re-design) mentioned for starters, the often talked-about cracking plastic coolant pipes, and I would also say replacing the dipstick with an electronic system that is finicky to use at best ("NOT AVAILABLE - SEE HANDBOOK") but also curiously will never proactively warn the owner of a low oil condition, despite having all the information available to do this, which is just mind-blowing to me.

That's not to say that JLR are in any way unique in this regard - other manufacturers (as mentioned) suffer similar problems and have been forced, with enough numbers affected, to offer various remedies to owners.

In regard to the OP, there's been a couple of class action law suits I've stumbled across, but interestingly they often seem to cover selected years for timing chain problems - 2012-2014 seems to be common, I guess they're going off the LR TSBs, but this also suggests they do not have all the information about this problem available to them, such as the fact that the timing chain problems affect all 5.0 engines from their inception (2010?).

I contacted one of the firms being one of the few to strip and rebuild my engine and actually take photos of the damage caused by the timing chain issue, but they didn't ever reply so I assume they're not interested. As far as I know in response to these actions JLR have (predictably) denied any liabilty but I don't think there's been any meaningful progression with these legal actions. In any case, unless you're a lead claimant most class action suits will end up making you very little if any money, so I wasn't seriously considering it as an avenue to recoup any of my rebuild costs.

The following users liked this post:
jackra_1 (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaaaggg
Land Rover uses the same 5.0 engines and they have a TSB for timing chain replacements for 2010-2012 model year vehicles. Jaguar vehicles that use the exact same motor have no such TSB and this issue is something we see a lot of on the forum. There always seem to be more TSBs on the LR side, even though the same parts are used for Jaguar, I am assuming because of the LR volume and more owner complaints. So, I personally don't believe Jaguar is always forthright about addressing pattern issues.
A TSB does not help an owner pay for the fix though.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

I was told that the TSB doesnt apply to cars outside of the warranty period. is that true?

Old 10-21-2019, 09:07 AM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jackra_1
A TSB does not help an owner pay for the fix though.
Yes they won't pay when a failure happens and a repair is needed. But if it's a design flaw on a major part like the timing chain and tensioners, where a TSB will update the parts to address the issue, then it means it won't fail as easily and I wouldn't have to pay out of pocket. So in a way, they are paying for the fix by addressing it before it fails.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by GGG

Graham
\
\Never said i cared about my car nice jump of the shark. I paid 13K for a Jaguar I know they are crap, I'll fix it.. I just posted abut my experience wit Saab and how to address all these folks who are complaining.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by davetibbs
With all due respect, how hard he runs his own car doesn't change the fact that these engines do have a couple of quite significant design flaws that can sometimes lead to terminal engine damage if left unaddressed. The timing chain wear (prior to parts re-design) mentioned for starters, the often talked-about cracking plastic coolant pipes, and I would also say replacing the dipstick with an electronic system that is finicky to use at best ("NOT AVAILABLE - SEE HANDBOOK") but also curiously will never proactively warn the owner of a low oil condition, despite having all the information available to do this, which is just mind-blowing to me.

That's not to say that JLR are in any way unique in this regard - other manufacturers (as mentioned) suffer similar problems and have been forced, with enough numbers affected, to offer various remedies to owners.

In regard to the OP, there's been a couple of class action law suits I've stumbled across, but interestingly they often seem to cover selected years for timing chain problems - 2012-2014 seems to be common, I guess they're going off the LR TSBs, but this also suggests they do not have all the information about this problem available to them, such as the fact that the timing chain problems affect all 5.0 engines from their inception (2010?).

I contacted one of the firms being one of the few to strip and rebuild my engine and actually take photos of the damage caused by the timing chain issue, but they didn't ever reply so I assume they're not interested. As far as I know in response to these actions JLR have (predictably) denied any liabilty but I don't think there's been any meaningful progression with these legal actions. In any case, unless you're a lead claimant most class action suits will end up making you very little if any money, so I wasn't seriously considering it as an avenue to recoup any of my rebuild costs.
Thanks for the kind rebuttal to @GGG , I was just trying to se if people wanted to work together to see what (if anything) JLR ,might be willing to do (or be forced to do) Well maybe if there were a bunch of peoples who contacted these class action guys, there might be interest. And if they file suit, they can get discovery, look at engineering documents, service records customer complaints, etc.

Originally Posted by GGG

Graham
Yes hard on my cars that's why I bought a supercharged junker...tune and drive.

\Never said i cared about my car's repairs, nice jump of the shark. I just said i have a bad crossover. I paid 13K for a Jaguar (stickered at 67K) I know they are crap, I'll fix it.. I just posted about my experience with Saab and how to address all these folks who are complaining and added comments.